Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA: Ewr-iah-pos $300 (3.7cpm)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2014, 5:28 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Experience with TT shuttle services from airport to hotel

I found a shuttle services company on internet (TT Shuttle Services). A round trip costs $25 from airport to any destination in Port of Spain and environs. Did anyone use this shuttle service (or Maxi-Taxis) and have some recommendations? I do not want to book it if it is not reliable. Thanks. Happy travels.

Last edited by Kmxu; Nov 10, 2014 at 6:52 am
Old Nov 14, 2014, 7:46 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by miasmal
I just booked 6/22 EWR-POS-IAH-EWR. Arrive POS 5am, leave 8am. Not great at 5.7cpm but I need the miles - plus I can take the Monday off. Looks like Priority Pass (via my Amex) can be used for the VIP Flyers Lounge, which opens at 5am. So hopefully I can stay inside the terminal & be able to go to the lounge. I'll post a full report when I do the run. In October, I may go again but stay a day or two.
Did you post a report? Were you able to access the VIP Flyers Lounge?

Thanks!
Old Nov 14, 2014, 7:49 pm

I am doing a MR on Dec 8th and 9th.

Dec 8th SFO -> IAH -> POS
Dec 9th POS -> EWR -> SFO

4 hours in the airport...

Any other FTers on the same dates?
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:19 pm
tsz

Originally Posted by Mr_BKK
Did you post a report? Were you able to access the VIP Flyers Lounge?

Thanks!
I did the same run earlier in the year and was able to use the lounge with my Priority Pass card (from AMEX Plat). Lounge is a nice size and has a selection of wrapped sandwiches and a hot soup option. It was indeed open at 5 so I managed to get in as soon as I went through immigration after my EWR-POS flight.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
safe, not really
fun, i don't know, never been there

if you are planning to stay more than the quick turn, the best advice is to take the interisland flight to Tobago.

as mentioned upthread, BQN is a reasonable substitute from the price standpoint but you lose some miles. BQN is generally regarded as safe, and there are some nice beaches nearby.
Thank you for your reply. I checked for my country that there is without visa required. However,there are no Skyteam alliance flights. So, maybe UA is options to return.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 11:40 am

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Originally Posted by JustTravel
has anyone done this recently? Any experience with customs? I have never done a MR with such a tight turnaround before.
I did this today. Arrived from EWR at 5:45 a.m. and my flight to IAH left at 7:39 a.m. Waited in line to clear immigration, and was informed I had to take the elevator upstairs and simply go to my gate. I never cleared immigration or customs. I did have to clear security

The elevator is a small one on the left side as you arrive at immigration. When I boarded my IAH flight (on the same plan I came in on), my seat, along with two others in F were broken. Got an exit row seat and a $500 voucher.

Originally Posted by usa18dca
IIRC you will have to officially enter POS as there's no transit option there.
This was not my experience, as noted above.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: United 1P. 880k lifetime miles, all on my own dime.
Originally Posted by Mr_BKK
I am doing a MR on Dec 8th and 9th.

Dec 8th SFO -> IAH -> POS
Dec 9th POS -> EWR -> SFO

4 hours in the airport...

Any other FTers on the same dates?
How much did your ticket cost? Been looking from LAX and can't find anything for less than ~$500+
Old Nov 16, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Originally Posted by ORDSteve
How much did your ticket cost? Been looking from LAX and can't find anything for less than ~$500+
I don't see anything lower and I did a quick look out through next May. I paid $457 for SEA-SFO-EWR-POS-IAH-SFO-SEA.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:45 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
Great find! Just found a one-hour turnaround in December on the following routing: DCA-IAH-EWR-POS-IAH-EWR-DCA. $371 R/T!
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by ORDSteve
I paid $468.50
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by Kmxu
I found a shuttle services company on internet (TT Shuttle Services). A round trip costs $25 from airport to any destination in Port of Spain and environs. Did anyone use this shuttle service (or Maxi-Taxis) and have some recommendations? I do not want to book it if it is not reliable. Thanks. Happy travels.
Don't know, but the "regulated" taxi charges, especially at night, are extraordinarily high from POS to the city.
Let us know if this works.

Another option if you don't need to stay in the city this B and B is nice and has free airport shuttle service:
http://www.airportinntrinidad.com/
Old Nov 20, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: SQ Silver, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire RA
UA: Ewr-iah-pos $300 (3.7cpm)

Just made it to POS, IAH-POS was upgraded (I'm a Platinum). I decided to make a long weekend out of this mileage run and took a flight over to Tobago. So far the islands seem very nice! Very good value for a $299 trip...
Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
One hour connection is tight

Originally Posted by goldelite8
Great find! Just found a one-hour turnaround in December on the following routing: DCA-IAH-EWR-POS-IAH-EWR-DCA. $371 R/T!
Be advised to select a seat right behind the first class cabin and run to customs. The customs line moved very slowly tonight. If this happens to you, you won't make the connection. I peaked through the door to UA gate. I would probably attempt to do this with a tighter connection. Happy travels.

edit: cannot escape the immigration/customs because the departure card with stamp is required.

Last edited by Kmxu; Nov 22, 2014 at 5:38 am Reason: The last statement is wrong.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 1:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by 6rugrats
I did this today. Arrived from EWR at 5:45 a.m. and my flight to IAH left at 7:39 a.m. Waited in line to clear immigration, and was informed I had to take the elevator upstairs and simply go to my gate. I never cleared immigration or customs. I did have to clear security

The elevator is a small one on the left side as you arrive at immigration. When I boarded my IAH flight (on the same plan I came in on), my seat, along with two others in F were broken. Got an exit row seat and a $500 voucher.

This was not my experience, as noted above.
This is great to know of course...I will be looking to do the same, myself on my immediate turn!

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Be advised to select a seat right behind the first class cabin and run to customs. The customs line moved very slowly tonight. If this happens to you, you won't make the connection. I peaked through the door to UA gate. I would probably attempt to do this with a tighter connection. Happy travels.
Thanks for those updates, does anyone have any other experiences either doing the immediate turn while going through customs OR with the aforementioned elevator directly back up to security and off to the departure gates?

I'm on an immediate turn as well in December and would prefer the quickest way possible back to the plane

Thanks!

-jeremy
Old Nov 22, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott
Originally Posted by kmfdm91
does anyone have any other experiences either doing the immediate turn while going through customs OR with the aforementioned elevator directly back up to security and off to the departure gates?
I did this MR last month with an immediate return (5:XX am arrival). I did clear immigration, which took perhaps 15 minutes. I then took the escalator upstairs, went through security and to the gates.

Next time, I would seek out the lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.