Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Connections / Connecting between terminals at ORD" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:39 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
I will echo this. It is very important to implement a true PreCheck line at ORD T5. It is reducing Chicago's business competitiveness compared to other U.S. cities that do have true PreCheck for international carriers (e.g. Seattle, San Francisco, Detroit, MSP).

Please can you get the TSA to implement this.

Are you suggesting that someone that would otherwise go to Chicago is going to a different city? 99.99% of people don't decide their destinations based on the airport.

Connecting traffic wouldn't have to deal with T5 security either since there is an airside bus connection.

They should do it because it will make the airport a better experience, but this is way down on the list of things that would actually influence if someone uses ORD.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Are you suggesting that someone that would otherwise go to Chicago is going to a different city? 99.99% of people don't decide their destinations based on the airport.

Connecting traffic wouldn't have to deal with T5 security either since there is an airside bus connection.

They should do it because it will make the airport a better experience, but this is way down on the list of things that would actually influence if someone uses ORD.
I think the airlines need to step up and apply what pressure they can on this. I am sure the IT changes needed to interface with the government for the KTN weren't free. And it has affected my choice of airlines when departing from ORD. I would take LH over other European carriers is the price and travel times are similar. Simpy because of Precheck,

And from my personal experience I did not find the bus all that useful (as it does not operate at its published times). So until ORD gets its act together, I would not recommend doing a domestic-international connection at ORD (where you depart from T5) over other airports where the terminals that are connected air-side,
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by cheltzel
I think the airlines need to step up and apply what pressure they can on this. I am sure the IT changes needed to interface with the government for the KTN weren't free. And it has affected my choice of airlines when departing from ORD. I would take LH over other European carriers is the price and travel times are similar. Simpy because of Precheck,

And from my personal experience I did not find the bus all that useful (as it does not operate at its published times). So until ORD gets its act together, I would not recommend doing a domestic-international connection at ORD (where you depart from T5) over other airports where the terminals that are connected air-side,
Whether the T3-->T5 bus runs to 8 PM or the listed 8:30 PM is meaningless for as many as 95% of connecting passengers.

@ords -- how late is the bus running these days?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Whether the T3-->T5 bus runs to 8 PM or the listed 8:30 PM is meaningless for as many as 95% of connecting passengers.

@ords -- how late is the bus running these days?
Honestly, it depends on how the daily operations are going. The drivers can be held over, but it's the Prospect staff that tends to cut the evening short over on the domestic side, which the 8 PM is coming from and usually is.

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
I will echo this. It is very important to implement a true PreCheck line at ORD T5. It is reducing Chicago's business competitiveness compared to other U.S. cities that do have true PreCheck for international carriers (e.g. Seattle, San Francisco, Detroit, MSP).

Please can you get the TSA to implement this.
It was brought up at a larger airport wide general managers meeting this week. The issue is this, and for those who have traveled through T5 recently knows, it's the size of the checkpoint in its current location. TSA would love to add a specific lane but at the expense of creating longer regular lines they feel the current PreCheck Lite line will suffice. This is why you see it open and closed at times, it's a specific number of passengers daily that triggers it. ( TSA knows the hourly number)

Unofficially, there are plans already in the works to add a another smaller checkpoint. The discussion is whether to make it fully PreCheck or convert one of the lines in main checkpoint area once this is added.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 17, 2018 at 3:31 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 17, 2018, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by LupineChemist

I have a history of routing away from ORD for some of my international trips because of the hassle of T1/T2/T3 to T5 connections. The potential lack of an airside transit or of an easy landslide transit has had me using other airports as part of my one-stop or two-stop international itineraries. And I know I’m not the only one to have avoided ORD for transits due to transit hassles at ORD on single-ticketed bookings.

The airside bus connection doesn’t work well (if at all) for all at all times of day.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:22 am
glg

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I have a history of routing away from ORD for some of my international trips because of the hassle of T1/T2/T3 to T5 connections.
Connections is *not* what LupineChemist was referring to. LupineChemist was refuting Buster CT1K's contention that T5's lack of Pre-check is hurting Chicago's business community. Not ORD connecting traffic (like you and chetzel describe), Chicago. Like LupineChemist, I'm going to disagree with that.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 8:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by glg
Connections is *not* what LupineChemist was referring to. LupineChemist was refuting Buster CT1K's contention that T5's lack of Pre-check is hurting Chicago's business community. Not ORD connecting traffic (like you and chetzel describe), Chicago. Like LupineChemist, I'm going to disagree with that.
The lack of PreCheck at T5 does get some people to avoid flying out of/via Chicago on airlines flying out of T5. That does hurt the Chicago community in a way as supporting the T5 carriers helps foster a better competitive landscape for the Chicago community using the airport.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:49 pm

The lack of PreCheck at T5 does get some people to avoid flying out of/via Chicago on airlines flying out of T5. That does hurt the Chicago community in a way as supporting the T5 carriers helps foster a better competitive landscape for the Chicago community using the airport.
ORD is soon to become the only US airport with non-stop flights to all inhabited continents/regions of the world. Of course, they are taking liberty by lumping New Zealand with Australia. Are there any examples of airlines that have become discouraged from serving ORD due to the T5 arrangement for TSA screening?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:10 am
Suspended

ORD is soon to become the only US airport with non-stop flights to all inhabited continents/regions of the world. Of course, they are taking liberty by lumping New Zealand with Australia. Are there any examples of airlines that have become discouraged from serving ORD due to the T5 arrangement for TSA screening?
The issue is whether passengers to some extent are booking away from ORD because of the hassles of dealing with T5. It’s not mutually exclusive that there can be some route expansion while that booking away occurs too — no less so during times of economic growth over several years and population growth in the markets served by a given airport.

Increased demand, even at the margins, helps make route service and service expansion sustainability more likely.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 20, 2018 at 2:29 am
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:37 am

The issue is whether passengers to some extent are booking away from ORD because of the hassles of dealing with T5. It’s not mutually exclusive that there can be some route expansion while that booking away occurs too — no less so during times of economic growth over several years and population growth in the markets served by a given airport.

Increased demand, even at the margins, helps make route service and service expansion sustainability more likely.
I fully agree. I also have never seen any information that airlines have eliminated ORD as a destination due to the TSA situation at T5. Absent that, I'm going with the notion it hasn't happened.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:34 pm
glg

ORD is soon to become the only US airport with non-stop flights to all inhabited continents/regions of the world. Of course, they are taking liberty by lumping New Zealand with Australia.
I'm surprised IAH or DFW don't have that. IAH also has Australasia with NZ/AKL, DFW has legit Australia with QF/SYD, but neither has a flight to Africa.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by glg
I'm surprised IAH or DFW don't have that. IAH also has Australasia with NZ/AKL, DFW has legit Australia with QF/SYD, but neither has a flight to Africa.
The geography may work, the demand may be there, but the fortress hub nature of those two Texas airports gets in the way. ORD is lucky that both AA and UA are there in major ways.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ords
Honestly, it depends on how the daily operations are going. The drivers can be held over, but it's the Prospect staff that tends to cut the evening short over on the domestic side, which the 8 PM is coming from and usually is.

It was brought up at a larger airport wide general managers meeting this week. The issue is this, and for those who have traveled through T5 recently knows, it's the size of the checkpoint in its current location. TSA would love to add a specific lane but at the expense of creating longer regular lines they feel the current PreCheck Lite line will suffice. This is why you see it open and closed at times, it's a specific number of passengers daily that triggers it. ( TSA knows the hourly number)

Unofficially, there are plans already in the works to add a another smaller checkpoint. The discussion is whether to make it fully PreCheck or convert one of the lines in main checkpoint area once this is added.
Presumably ORD management could get numbers for originating T5 passengers who have Pre-Check and also connecting passengers who could use the air side shuttle as opposed to those who do. They might then be able to work out whether to add Pre-Check, enhance the bus service, or both.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MADPhil
Presumably ORD management could get numbers for originating T5 passengers who have Pre-Check and also connecting passengers who could use the air side shuttle as opposed to those who do. They might then be able to work out whether to add Pre-Check, enhance the bus service, or both.
ORD T5 will be getting PreCheck within less than 2 years, and that’s my bet. Even two years from now, I would rather avoid a transit re-screening of any and all sorts by TSA, and so I would prefer a better airside transit option.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by glg
IAH had service to all six before SonAir discontinued its IAH-LAD flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.