OverNight O'Hare-Communication Logisitcs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2024, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Blue, IHG Spire, HHonor Gold, Accor Platinum.

Have an overnight at ORD in April
United Airlines
Arrive 19:00 T5 from LHR
Depart 09:00 T2 to PVR

My UK phone will be expensive as I am travelling to Mexico I will not be gettng a local SIM at the airport. Esime will only provide data and I asume I could use ORD wifi for that.
So:-

1 Are there any airport hotels that provide a shuttle that run on a schedule so I do NOT have to ring them to collect?

2. Are there free phones in T5 that connect to airport hotels?

Cheers
Old Mar 10, 2024, 6:34 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Your best option is the Hilton Chicago O’Hare. It is physically connected to the airport so no shuttle needed.

TWA884 and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick reply.

Looks like I'd need a shuttle from T5
Old Mar 10, 2024, 7:23 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
I did an Internet service for "O'Hare terminal 5 scheduled hotel shuttle service" and found several hotels that have scheduled shuttle that stop and pick up at T5. At least during daytime and evening hours.

There may be more that have scheduled pickup service from the three domestic terminals that would require you to takan ATS train from T5 to one of the domestic terminals.
blindman likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Thanks, I'll give that a GO.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 8:27 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by blindman
Thanks for the quick reply.

Looks like I'd need a shuttle from T5
O'Hare airport has a free automated people mover - ATS - connecting all the terminals. It runs every 10 minutes. Simply take the ATS from T5 to T2. The Hilton is a short walk, under 5 minutes, from the ATS station.

The next morning, your flight to PVR will be departing from T1 or T2. Either terminal is less than a 10 minutes walk from the Hilton via an underground tunnel.

Segments and MSPeconomist like this.

Last edited by TWA884; Mar 10, 2024 at 9:25 am Reason: Add map
Old Mar 10, 2024, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Thanks, I'll give that a GO.
I would find a few hotels that say they have a running scheduled shuttle to T5 and then call/verify what is published. Obviously there is no guarantee that everything will always go as planned, but you are managing your risk.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 3:59 pm
BCH

I agree. The lowest headache version is Hilton O'Hare, which is connected to Terminals 1,2,3 by a tunnel and to Terminal 5 by an automated train. It's not a luxurious hotel, but it saves you the headaches of finding shuttles and waiting for shuttles.

After you clear customs and immigration, and exit into the landside area, look for signs for the automated people mover and/or train to T1, T2, T3. You'll take an escalator up one level to a very crowded platform and go 2 stops.

Exit at Terminal 2. Follow signs to Hilton Hotel. Super-easy.

There are multiple ways to get to the hotel, including street-level, by crossing car lanes and by underground walkways. So don't be discouraged if you see signs that point in different directions.

Happy travels.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for everyones input.,
Old Mar 11, 2024, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Have an overnight at ORD in April
United Airlines
Arrive 19:00 T5 from LHR
Depart 09:00 T2 to PVR

My UK phone will be expensive as I am travelling to Mexico I will not be gettng a local SIM at the airport. Esime will only provide data and I asume I could use ORD wifi for that.
So:-

1 Are there any airport hotels that provide a shuttle that run on a schedule so I do NOT have to ring them to collect?

2. Are there free phones in T5 that connect to airport hotels?

Cheers

If the on-site Hilton is pricey, you can look at the Sheraton Suites O'Hare, which is now my "go-to" for O'Hare overnights, especially when arriving Terminal 5.

Once exiting Customs, take the Air Train one stop to the MMF (Multi Modal Facility) which is where rental cars are located. The Sheraton Suites is a short (5 minute) walk away. No need to deal with shuttles at all.
The next morning, walk back to the MMF stop and take the Air Train over to the Domestic Terminals.

Originally Posted by goodeats21
It is in a business office park complex, along with a Sonesta...and I think a Holiday Inn Express was close by as well.
Don't know about any history as an Embassy Suites.

Easily walkable from the ATS train stop for rental cars. I place a premium on avoiding hotel shuttle buses. I am always annoyed by waiting for a bus.

pseudoswede likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by goodeats21
If the on-site Hilton is pricey, you can look at the Sheraton Suites O'Hare, which is now my "go-to" for O'Hare overnights, especially when arriving Terminal 5.
And I would recommend the Harry Caray's restaurant across the street for dinner.
goodeats21 and blindman like this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

looking good.

safe to walk in the evening?
Old Mar 11, 2024, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

looking good.

yes, no issues. It's the suburbs in all but name.

I echo what everyone has said. The Hilton is the most convenient but can be expensive for what it is, and it's a little run down these days.

There are a zillion hotels right around ORD, though. Many of them have a free shuttle. As I recall there's a bank of phones by baggage claim that connects you to the hotel you want and can ask them to send the shuttle. I have never used them, and don't know if they still work. ORD has free wifi throughout, so you could make a wifi call. Or just make a quick roaming call to get the shuttle.

The suggestion about the Sheraton Suites is good - it is close. And there are several others if you don't mind walking a little further.
edit: I don't know why I can't just paste in a link. https://maps.app.goo.gl/XQoaG4amFfGNXgcG9
jamiel likes this.

Last edited by gfunkdave; Mar 11, 2024 at 2:33 pm
Old Mar 12, 2024, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
looking good.

Seems very safe. People around due to the rental cars and such, and it really is a quick walk, through a business park complex type place.
There are a couple other hotels in that same complex, if I am remembering correctly. I just use the Sheraton Suites as I tend to stick with Marriott Bonvoy properties.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.