Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2018, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA US
AA is stuck running a lot of 50-seaters to DCA because of lack of regular gate space. The 50-seaters and ""Gate 35X" buses will be around until the terminal extension is done - in 2021 maybe?
Old Feb 19, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I hope it's temporary and it would make sense due to slower travel in February. The CRJ-200 is an awful piece of flying torture and if it was permanent its a step in the wrong direction... CLE-IAD has been a tolerable connection with the 2-cabin RJs (and even "enjoyable" with a 175), but the dearth of mainline on the route (is there any?) has surprised me for a while.

In my personal calculus, with the same equipment IAD > EWR > ORD as far as preferences go, but there's not a chance in hell I'd book CLE-any hub on a 200. Doing IAD-RIC on a CR2 is bad enough to make me consider renting a car and dealing with metro DC traffic, but at least its a <100 mile flight that rarely gets above 15k feet, if it even breaks 10k.
Speaking of temporary, this city pair starting in July will have two daily mainline flights (737's) and two single class 50 seaters... is that mainline going to be permanent or just for a while?
Old Feb 22, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Just when I thought things couldn't get any worse, the 6 AM morning weekday flight now is operated by Commutair. Looks like they're taking over some CLE-EWR flying too.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
More United layoffs coming?

Does anybody know more about this?
United warns of more layoffs in CLE - Airliners.net
Old Mar 4, 2018, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
DL to SLC NS starts in July. A319.

Now still need MCI.....
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by coplatua1k
DL to SLC NS starts in July. A319.

Now still need MCI.....
Alaska to SEA, then PDX, then maybe SAN. It seems the E175 is just out of reach from typical usage. 132 seat 319 to slc isn't too far off tho.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:21 pm

Looks like CLE was the most improved airport in 2017: Cleveland Hopkins 'most improved' airport in North America, survey says | cleveland.com
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA MM
How does immigration and customs work at CLE? It's been my home airport for a very long time yet I don't remember ever entering the country there. Once you pass immigration, I assume there is a baggage carousel on the ground floor of Concourse A to claim your bags? After that, you must go through customs (basically hand in your ticket)? From there... what? You can't take a huge suitcase or three onto the concourse so where do you go? Thanks.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
How does immigration and customs work at CLE? It's been my home airport for a very long time yet I don't remember ever entering the country there. Once you pass immigration, I assume there is a baggage carousel on the ground floor of Concourse A to claim your bags? After that, you must go through customs (basically hand in your ticket)? From there... what? You can't take a huge suitcase or three onto the concourse so where do you go? Thanks.
International flights arrive at one of three gates, A9, A11, A14, and proceed to the lower level of A where passengers go through immigration (there is also Global Entry available), claim their bags at a single baggage carousel, and then hand in their customs declaration (and hopefully don't get selected for additional inspection). Currently, they then put their checked luggage on a belt where it is delivered at the airline's particular baggage carousel in the main terminal. Then passengers exit the international arrivals area and hop on a bus that takes them to the northernmost end of the baggage claim level where they enter the terminal and proceed to that airline's designated baggage carousel. to claim their bag Once the Iceland flights start in May, the process will change and actually revert back to the former method of passengers having to go through a TSA security checkpoint on the ground level of A after dropping off their checked luggage after clearing customs. They then ascend an escalator to the upper level of A opposite gate A5 (or so) and then proceed to baggage claim to get their checked luggage. I've found the bus operation smoother and less cumbersome than going through the TSA hassle when not connecting to another flight. I was actually able to bring my checked bag (carryon sized) onto the bus, and head right for my ride, although this was several years ago and may have changed. I never encountered long lines, but was pretty far forward in the plane when arriving in CLE, but wouldn't want to be their if more than one flight arrived at the same time. However, the space was supposedly designed to process about 400 passengers (a fully loaded 747) per hour. It's not pretty, but functional, in my opinion, and it sure beats a connection in EWR, IAD, PHL, ORD, YYX, etc. I'll see how it functions in June when I return from TXL (via KEF) on Icelandair.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 5:34 am
RNE

Originally Posted by guy44134
I'll see how it functions in June when I return from TXL (via KEF) on Icelandair.
Likewise, I'll return from AMS (via KEF) in May on Icelandair and I will report on the process.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by guy44134
International flights arrive at one of three gates, A9, A11, A14, and proceed to the lower level of A where passengers go through immigration (there is also Global Entry available), claim their bags at a single baggage carousel, and then hand in their customs declaration (and hopefully don't get selected for additional inspection). Currently, they then put their checked luggage on a belt where it is delivered at the airline's particular baggage carousel in the main terminal. Then passengers exit the international arrivals area and hop on a bus that takes them to the northernmost end of the baggage claim level where they enter the terminal and proceed to that airline's designated baggage carousel. to claim their bag Once the Iceland flights start in May, the process will change and actually revert back to the former method of passengers having to go through a TSA security checkpoint on the ground level of A after dropping off their checked luggage after clearing customs. They then ascend an escalator to the upper level of A opposite gate A5 (or so) and then proceed to baggage claim to get their checked luggage. I've found the bus operation smoother and less cumbersome than going through the TSA hassle when not connecting to another flight. I was actually able to bring my checked bag (carryon sized) onto the bus, and head right for my ride, although this was several years ago and may have changed. I never encountered long lines, but was pretty far forward in the plane when arriving in CLE, but wouldn't want to be their if more than one flight arrived at the same time. However, the space was supposedly designed to process about 400 passengers (a fully loaded 747) per hour. It's not pretty, but functional, in my opinion, and it sure beats a connection in EWR, IAD, PHL, ORD, YYX, etc. I'll see how it functions in June when I return from TXL (via KEF) on Icelandair.
So if you are not checking bags, you essentially cannot buy liquid duty-free? Just a weird thing to go through security to leave the airport. Will I get pre-check to leave the airport?
How do they not have a hallway that simply exits to baggage claim from customs/immigration, they just spent 20MM to update the facade, but a hallway cannot be built, ONE HALLWAY. Functionality apparently is not a priority at CLE. The bus seems better, what is it a 1 minute drive?
Old Mar 9, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Question: I'm flying WN for the first time in forever tomorrow CLE-BWI-PBI, assuming I'm hang out in the UA club and want to get to the gate before my A35 boarding position boards...how early should I be to the gate? [a charity client booked it and UA/AA were more than 2.5x; I love WN employees and their corporate culture but the lack of assigned seating really piques my anxiety/stress levels]

Originally Posted by moops380
So if you are not checking bags, you essentially cannot buy liquid duty-free? Just a weird thing to go through security to leave the airport. Will I get pre-check to leave the airport?
How do they not have a hallway that simply exits to baggage claim from customs/immigration, they just spent 20MM to update the facade, but a hallway cannot be built, ONE HALLWAY. Functionality apparently is not a priority at CLE. The bus seems better, what is it a 1 minute drive?
Everything abut the renovation was about looks. Functionality regressed in many ways... consistent TSA Pre at the C checkpoint? Nope... we have to funnel everyone to B to make the passenger experience worse for the majority of passengers (B pax with out pre? Worse. A/C pax with pre? Worse. B pax with pre? Same...maybe?) Move offsite parking shuttles from convenient curbside pickup/dropoff to the back forty so their experience suffers. Demolish the long term garage to make offsite parking the only viable option unless you feel like playing the odds (or are leaving on a weekend).

But I'm not bitter. I
RNE likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 7:12 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by moops380
So if you are not checking bags, you essentially cannot buy liquid duty-free?
Not necessarily. The security screening process should be no different than when connecting from an international arrival to a domestic flight.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Question: I'm flying WN for the first time in forever tomorrow CLE-BWI-PBI, assuming I'm hang out in the UA club and want to get to the gate before my A35 boarding position boards...how early should I be to the gate? [a charity client booked it and UA/AA were more than 2.5x; I love WN employees and their corporate culture but the lack of assigned seating really piques my anxiety/stress levels]
If you want to utilize being A35 and there are no weather/delays, I would be there 3-4 minutes after the scheduled boarding time. They usually take a few minutes with wheelchairs/etc from the start. Quite the hike from the UA club however. If you don't bring a rollerboard you probably have a decent shot at row 1 as you can squeeze smaller bags in the bins easily. FA's usually hang out in the exit rows during boarding too, so alot of people will walk by them, but they are available for whomever can assist (I notice they proactively tell taller/larger passengers, "oh, you might like this seat" then migrate to the next open row to assist from there. With proper strategy, you can consistently get seats with empty middles, which makes for more pleasant flights, especially longer ones where you want to get some work done on the $8 wifi.
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
Not necessarily. The security screening process should be no different than when connecting from an international arrival to a domestic flight.
Inbound International Flights

You may carry duty free liquids in secure, tamper–evident bags, more than 3.4 oz or 100 ml in your carry-on bag if:
  • The duty free liquids were purchased internationally and you are travelling to the United States with a connecting flight.
  • The liquids are packed in a transparent, secure, tamper-evident bag by the retailer and do not show signs of tampering when presented to TSA for screening.
  • The original receipt for the liquids is present and the purchase was made within 48 hours.
Above pasted from a previous comment of yours.

Who is going to fly into Cleveland from Iceland, then connect (maybe a die-hard ULCC fan)? Does this apply on separate tickets? Does it have to be within 24 hrs, etc?
I have trouble believing Cleveland TSA will let me "carry on" to my hotel/etc a bottle of wine/liquor if I have a next day separate ticket to, say baltimore on SW.

What other US airports require pax to go through security to leave the airport routinely?

Last edited by moops380; Mar 9, 2018 at 7:45 pm Reason: Revised

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.