Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

CLE - Impact of other airlines (gates, routes, equipment, & etc) after UA De-Hubbing

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2023, 9:08 am

Programs: AA US
The Natural History Museum also restored and redisplayed a Schreckengost sculpture. I'm glad they keep these things around and hope the paper planes in the C-to-D tunnel find a home in the coming new/rebuilt terminal.
guy44134 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2023, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by RobS
The Natural History Museum also restored and redisplayed a Schreckengost sculpture. I'm glad they keep these things around and hope the paper planes in the C-to-D tunnel find a home in the coming new/rebuilt terminal.
Correct! The elephant sculpture is pictured here (lower left). I also hope they save the “paper airplanes!”

Originally Posted by guy44134
Great question. I'd have to do a bit more research, but funny enough, the original main entrance to the upper level of the terminal (including the main lobby with the famous flight display board) was in just about the same location, but maybe a few (hundred?) feet towards today's parking garage. Visitors parked in the main lot and entered the upper level/main entrance, while those checking in for flights and claiming bags did so on the lower level to the northern end of today's terminal complex. The "south terminal," everything to to south of the Central checkpoint was all new build on both levels.
See the circled area below for the original location of the sculpture.

pudgym29 likes this.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 24, 2023 at 2:07 am
Old Nov 21, 2023, 12:24 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by guy44134
See the circled area below for the original location of the sculpture.

Wow the terminal certainly has morphed over the decades. I'm guessing this is (very) roughly the same angle and you can see all the bits and bobs that have been tacked on over the years... but if that is correct the sculpture really hasn't moved that far from its original location which is kind of cool

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cl...eXZz?entry=ttu
guy44134 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 7:06 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
UA CLE is also recalling some long furloughed employees, returning to "full" Global Services in the lobby and increasing the number of agents in the Club which tells me that UA is seeing a sustained volume of high(er) value business (I personally never thought they'd go back to staffing the inside counter in the club for example and there was one of the awesome agents greeting me at 6 AM this morning in addition to the two at the credential desk
I was in there a few months ago, and it had a moderate crowd. They had just brought out some pierogies with sauteed onions; seemed like a nice, almost local. unique food addition. One of the things I always like about the Cleveland club is that the staff are quite friendly.
FreqFlyerCLE likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 7:44 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by plinth857
I was in there a few months ago, and it had a moderate crowd. They had just brought out some pierogies with sauteed onions; seemed like a nice, almost local. unique food addition. One of the things I always like about the Cleveland club is that the staff are quite friendly.
The CLE UC's F&B manager is awesome and full of hospitality -- to the point where she's, somewhat frequently it seems, TDY-ed to other outstation clubs to work on things. I have an unsophisticated palate and my biggest complaint is that the food is getting too fancy for us simpletons
(Seriously -- I miss the soft pretzels+gas station cheese the club had when it first reopened after Covid and the hot dogs the ORD UCs had)
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
The CLE UC's F&B manager is awesome and full of hospitality -- to the point where she's, somewhat frequently it seems, TDY-ed to other outstation clubs to work on things. I have an unsophisticated palate and my biggest complaint is that the food is getting too fancy for us simpletons
(Seriously -- I miss the soft pretzels+gas station cheese the club had when it first reopened after Covid and the hot dogs the ORD UCs had)
First off, awesome use of the acronym "TDY" with regards to the staff.

Also, I remember the soft pretzels and just realized I haven't seen them in a LONG time. How does the United Club compare to "The Club CLE" as far as size/food offerings? I'm just curious... I've never been there.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 11:22 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
First off, awesome use of the acronym "TDY" with regards to the staff.

Also, I remember the soft pretzels and just realized I haven't seen them in a LONG time. How does the United Club compare to "The Club CLE" as far as size/food offerings? I'm just curious... I've never been there.
The Club CLE is pretty small, they don't have much room to work with. Been there like 3 times this year and the food offerings are minimal compared to the UC. IIRC lunch option was something like a soup, teriyaki meatballs, and a blueberry cobbler dessert. They were serving the same stuff on separate visits months apart, so not much creativity there. Though for breakfast I admit I did like their little preformed cheese omelettes, like the kind you get at the hotel chain breakfast buffets. Wish the UC would up their breakfast game - the powdered eggs and dry tasteless turkey sausages need to go. The UC had some weird lumpy smashed potato/sausage concoction for breakfast a couple weeks ago, not good.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 11:48 am

A few newer things at CLE.

A SIM card vending machine outside of security-very helpful for foreign visitors.

Interesting Metroparks displays around carrousel 3.

Carousel 3 with Metroparks display on columns.
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
United CLE to LAS and PHX March!
Old Dec 18, 2023, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by coplatua1k
United CLE to LAS and PHX March!
Very surprised to see LAS return. I hope it stays for a while!
Old Dec 18, 2023, 8:39 am

Programs: hoarding miles
Very surprised to see LAS return. I hope it stays for a while!
Based on the roundtrip prices I'm seeing for the nonstop ($700+), and the times (evening outbound, redeye return), I'd be surprised if it gets much traction, unfortunately.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
New service

United adding seasonal flights to PHX and LAS as it did a few years back. Great news could use service to AUS.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA
Cleveland PD article says:
A spokesperson for United said the routes were seasonal, with an expected end date of May 20. “While both routes are spring break seasonals, they do represent our eagerness to grow our CLE non-stop portfolio,” she said.
Full Article

Hopeful that UA does expand at CLE?!?
Old Dec 18, 2023, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
United continues to do very well on Florida routes FLL and MCO are year round adding additional FLL flight for the season added TPA back flies to RSW. United started flying Florida routes in the mid 1960’s Sunbird service. Florida service ended with the first hub closure on 1986 CO service with the development of its hub.
With the second hub closure stayed in the market mostly seasonal but now it’s growing year round. UA tried adding Florida direct service from several cities
LGA, BOS, IND, MKE but only lasted a year.
My thought UA should establish a mini hub here to feed Florida from cities like BUF, ROC, YYZ, GRR. Maybe EYW seasonal. Just my thoughts.
plinth857 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 8:10 am
RNE

Tame your exuberance. UA is playing us for a Patsy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.