Reload this Page >

The Un-Tourist's Guide to Chicago

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Un-Tourist's Guide to Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2022, 10:42 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by SKYEG
Any good restaurants by the airport? Don’t mind a 15-20 minute Uber/Lyft ride around the area just don’t want to head down to magnificent mile. Open to any cuisine or even solid bar food. Big plus if they have a tasting menu.
No personal experience, however, one of my go-to sources when it comes to dining, Eater Chicago, has a guide:
gfunkdave, gretchendz and SKYEG like this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SKYEG
Hey guys ,

Any good restaurants by the airport? Don’t mind a 15-20 minute Uber/Lyft ride around the area just don’t want to head down to magnificent mile. Open to any cuisine or even solid bar food. Big plus if they have a tasting menu.

thank you!!! I’ve found such good spots asking FT locals over the years lol. Quick stop with the gf - we land 630pm and don’t fly out until midnight, Tuesday.
For me, ORD food begins and ends with Tortas Frontera, Rick Bayless' airport outposts of his Mexican food empire. It's basically just sandwiches and salad, though I think the T3 location also has breakfast. They have locations in terminals 1, 3, and 5. Order on their website ahead of time so you don't have to wait in the line. Seating is limited. I have heard that you can also semi-skip the line by ordering through the bartender in back which also lets you get a drink and sit at an open seat while you wait...
GUWonder, gretchendz and SKYEG like this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 9:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I have heard that you can also semi-skip the line by ordering through the bartender in back which also lets you get a drink and sit at an open seat while you wait...
This is COMPLETELY false and nobody should ever try it
gfunkdave and Snuggs like this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 10:53 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
For me, ORD food begins and ends with Tortas Frontera, Rick Bayless' airport outposts of his Mexican food empire.
As much as I like Rick Bayless' restaurants and Tortas Frontera in T3, I wouldn't care to spend five hours sitting there. Now, getting food from Tortas Frontera and taking it to the Admirals Club, that's a whole 'nother story.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 3:54 pm

Programs: MileagePlus, Mileage Plan
Originally Posted by CLEguy
Boy howdy do I have you covered. You'll want to head to West Town for beer. In a few block radius you have a bunch of places:
  • Midwest Coast
  • On Tour Brewing
  • District Brew Yards (a pour-your-own place with the beer from four or five onsite breweries)
  • Goose Island (the actual brewhouse)
  • Finch
I'll add on to this list for other parts of the city:
  • Dovetail and Metropolitan are fantastic for German style beer. Both are north of the city, Metropolitan is not the easiest to get to but has a great patio on the river (I'll talk about Dovetail in the next point).
  • Begyle is fantastic too and has the advantage of being literally across the street from Dovetail. These two easily accessible from the brown line
  • Up from Dovetail and Begyle by a 20 minute walk is a place called Cultivate by Forbidden Root (in the old Band of Bohemia spot, which if I remember correctly used to be the only Michelin stared brewery in the world). It's really good, some of their beers can be a bit out there, but on Mondays they have a $16 Beer, Burger and Bourbon special that can't be beat imo. Their other food is apparently fantastic too, I've only been on Mondays and I have to get the special.
  • In the loop Adams Street Brewing makes solid German beers, it's in the Berghoff restaurant so you'll be sitting at a restaurant bar, but it's good to stop by if you're in the area, otherwise I'm not sure it's worth going out of your way to go to, unlike the ones above.
  • For IPA's, Revolution is the obvious answer, and they do them pretty well. I'd recommend the Logan Square location (although I've never been to the production facility), it's easier to get to and there's a lot of other neat places around there.
octr202 and SKYEG like this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 5:57 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by TWA884
As much as I like Rick Bayless' restaurants and Tortas Frontera in T3, I wouldn't care to spend five hours sitting there. Now, getting food from Tortas Frontera and taking it to the Admirals Club, that's a whole 'nother story.
Five hours at an AA lounge at ORD? Sounds too long for me no matter what food is coming into the lounge.

[Somehow I managed to go nearly 9 or 10 years without catching the awful whiff of McDonalds food in AA’s ORD lounges.]
Old Sep 19, 2022, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Five hours at an AA lounge at ORD? Sounds too long for me no matter what food is coming into the lounge.

[Somehow I managed to go nearly 9 or 10 years without catching the awful whiff of McDonalds food in AA’s ORD lounges.]
It's better than spending five hours on the concourse.

I've had an Admirals Club membership for over eight years. While the food offerings are inconsistent and leave a lot to be desired (Food in Admirals Clubs (merged threads)). I have never ever seen McDonald's-like food served in any of the clubs. Last week at ORD, there were the makings for make it yourself "Chicken Tajin" tacos and Spanish rice, a made to order guacamole bar, a couple of soups and regular selection crudites and dips, cheese cubes and cookies and brownie bites.
GUWonder and SKYEG like this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 6:15 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Not food served by the lounges. Speaking of food — McDonald’s — being brought into the lounges by guests since AA scrapped the rule on guests bringing in and eating outside food in the lounges there.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 1:12 pm
hch

Any good suggestion for dinner and/or a Blues venue on Christmas day?
Old Nov 26, 2022, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by hch
Any good suggestion for dinner and/or a Blues venue on Christmas day?
Do you have a particular area of the city/suburbs and/or cuisine in mind? There are usually quite a few restaurant options (Chinese, many downtown steakhouses, etc.), but I'm not aware of any blues venue that's open. If you are ok with Latin Jazz instead of blues, Artango is one of my favorites, and they usually offer a special prix-fixe menu on Xmas day.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 10:21 pm
hch

Originally Posted by legalalien
Do you have a particular area of the city/suburbs and/or cuisine in mind? There are usually quite a few restaurant options (Chinese, many downtown steakhouses, etc.), but I'm not aware of any blues venue that's open. If you are ok with Latin Jazz instead of blues, Artango is one of my favorites, and they usually offer a special prix-fixe menu on Xmas day.
We're staying at the Hilton at ORD for a a 2pm to 9am layover, so anything reachable easily from there is fair game. So far I've mostly looked at the Central area not too far from the Loop so far. Artango looks quite interesting, so thanks for the help alredy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.