Search

The Un-Tourist's Guide to Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2014, 12:33 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
The Un-Tourist's Guide to Chicago

The Chicago forum has been a little tired of late. In an effort to perk it up, I'd like to suggest that locals suggest their must-see sites and must-attend events in Chicago. Stuff that will make visitors appreciate what it means to live in and to love Chicago.

My suggestions:

* Check out the Chicago Greeter program, which has two free services for city visitors. The Instagreeter program is a no-reservations service that provides walking tours through the Loop and Millennium Park. It operates out of the Chicago Cultural Center. (Check link for days and hours of operation.) I trained to be a greeter, but didn't pursue it because I just didn't feel as if it's ever reach the knowledge level of the seasoned greeters. But I learned a ton about Chicago, its history and its architecture while training to be a greeter. You can also schedule a visit with a greeter, with an emphasis on any of about 60+ topics (including visits that focus on one of about 25 neighborhoods or 40 particular areas of interest). Because greeter programs exist in countless cities around the world, I found that Chicago's attracts a well-traveled group of both greeters and visitors. The majority of the visitors I met were from outside the US and most of the greeters were very well traveled.

* Skip Taste of Chicago and instead attend the Green City Market BBQ, held on a Thursday night in July in the south end of Lincoln Park. Taste of Chicago doesn't attract a particularly representative group of great Chicago dining establishments. GCM BBQ, on the other hand, supports Chicago's best-known local, organic farmer's market--the one that the city's top chefs shop at. You'll see a who's who of Chicago's best-known chefs at this event, and get sample dishes from dozens of the city's best restaurants.

* Don't want to pay inflated prices to see the city from the observation deck at the Sears Tower or John Hancock? Instead, have a drink at one of the countless rooftop bars that have opened in recent years. You'll probably be about 50-70 stories lower than at the Sears Tower or John Hancock, but you'll still enjoy great views and terrific people watching. Bonus: Your drink will probably cost less than the price of admission to the Sears Tower or John Hancock. I particularly enjoy the Hotel Lincoln (known as the J.Parker). Other popular roof decks include the roof at The Wit, Drumbar, the Terrace at Trump, Vertigo Sky Lounge and the Terrace at the Conrad. Baseball fans might enjoy one of the rooftop terraces overlooking Wrigley Field.

* Frontera Grill, XOCO and Topolombampo are fantastic restaurants, but Chicago has a rich and delicious Mexican culture. Head to Chicago's Maxwell Street Market -- a Sunday flea market, of sorts -- to sample some fantastic Mexican street food. (One tip: Maxwell Street Market isn't actually on Maxwell Street. It's on South Desplaines.)

* There are a lot of boat companies that advertise architectural tours, but everyone agrees: The Chicago Architectural Foundation's boat tour is the best.

* Yes, Chicago's known for hot dogs, deep dish pizza and steaks. No, we don't all eat at Gino's, Giordano's, Gibson's and Hugo's Frog Bar. (In fact, most of us never eat there, even when our out-of-town visitors try to steer us their because their friend who visited Chicago a few months ago said it was fantastic.) Chicago's largely a city of ethnic neighborhoods, with restaurants that cater to the local ethnic populations. So if you go to Lincoln Square for Thai food, you can find way more than pad thai and satay--you'll find Thai food that actual Thai people eat. Ditto for "new" Chinatown, which has a thriving Vietnamese population. (Bahn mi seems to be on the verge of surpassing Italian Beef as Chicago's favorite sandwich.) Whether you want Korean or Polish, Indian or Italian...get away from Michigan Ave. to find the best ethnic eats.

* Speaking of food, you can wash it down with some fantastic local craft beers. Goose Island was our original craft brewery, and even though it's been sold to Anheuser-Busch, its brewpubs are still turning out fantastic beers that will never be bottled and sold in stores. But we have a ton of great craft breweries, including Revolution, Half Acre, Pipeworks, Bergyle, Haymarket, DryHop and more.

Last edited by chgoeditor; Apr 30, 2014 at 10:29 am
Old Apr 29, 2014, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Drive (or take the #146 bus, or walk) out to Adler Planetarium and enjoy the amazing views of the loop. Go at dawn and you'll see the sun rising and hitting the buildings, go at dusk and you'll see the lights of the city. Both are amazing.

The Architectural Foundation's boat tours are indeed amazing, but don't miss their equally wonderful walking tours.
JB OmahAA and gretchendz like this.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

A few more that occurred to me:

* If you know how to sail, rent a sail boat (or charter one with a captain) and see Chicago from the lake.

* The Museum of Science and Industry is a great museum for both kids and adults. If you go, spring for the WOW tour. It's an opportunity to see some of the museum's most popular attractions and how things work behind the scenes.

* Arrive or departing O'Hare around rush hour? If you've rented a car and want to avoid traffic, make a detour to Mitsuwa Marketplace in Arlington Heights. It's a Japanese mini-mall with a fantastic food court.

* If the weather's decent, you owe it to yourself to spend some time on the lakefront. Put on your shoes or rent a Divvy bike, then ask your hotel for directions to the nearest pedestrian overpass or underpass. From downtown, you can safely walk/bike for miles. And if you happen to be in town on Memorial Day weekend, considering Bike the Drive. For five hours, Lake Shore Drive is closed to motor vehicle traffic and taken over by bicyclists.

* Going to visit the Lincoln Park Zoo? Don't skip the Alfred Caldwell Lily Pool. It's a hidden oasis of tranquility among the hustle and bustle of the city.

* During the summer, Chicago is a city of neighborhood festivals and concerts. If a festival is not free, admission is usually $5-10 and often includes live music. Be sure to check out the calendar of Millennium Park's concerts (free, pack a picnic), Ravinia ($$, pack a picnic) and Lincoln Park Zoo's Jamming at the Zoo ($$).
Old Apr 29, 2014, 9:38 pm
glg

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
* Don't want to pay inflated prices to see the city from the observation deck at the Sears Tower or John Hancock? Instead, have a drink at one of the countless rooftop bars that have opened in recent years. You'll probably be about 50-70 stories lower than at the Sears Tower or John Hancock, but you'll still enjoy great views and terrific people watching. Bonus: Your drink will probably cost less than the price of admission to the Sears Tower or John Hancock. I particularly enjoy the Hotel Lincoln (known as the J.Parker). Other popular roof decks include the roof at The Wit, Drumbar, the Terrace at Trump, Vertigo Sky Lounge and the Terrace at the Conrad. Baseball fans might enjoy one of the rooftop terraces overlooking Wrigley Field
If you want to be up high, hit the bar at the Signature Room in the Hancock. The drinks are overpriced, but the view is spectacular and at least you're getting a drink instead of paying just to ride the elevator. Oh, and my wife says to visit the ladies room, it has windows (none in the mens )
Old Apr 29, 2014, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT
If you want to try Chicago pizza, but don't want a lump of cheese that's going to sit in your stomach for a week, try thin crust. It's what Chicagoans eat when we're not hosting out-of-towners, and what most of us prefer to eat.

Enjoy the vibrant blues scene the city has to offer. Kingston Mines and B.L.U.E.S. in Lincoln Park have live music every night and a laid back atmosphere, or sit in strictly-enforced silence at the legendary Green Mill in Uptown. If you're lucky, you'll run into the man himself at Buddy Guy's Legends in the South Loop during one of his frequent appearances.

* Going to visit the Lincoln Park Zoo? Don't skip the Alfred Caldwell Lily Pool. It's a hidden oasis of tranquility among the hustle and bustle of the city.
Just make sure not to stay past close. As I was running by last summer, I saw a woman who had been locked in pleading with passers by to call the cops to get her out.

Be sure to check out the calendar of Millennium Park's concerts (free, pack a picnic), Ravinia ($$, pack a picnic) and Lincoln Park Zoo's Jamming at the Zoo ($$).
I'll second this recommendation. Keep in mind that concerts are not just on weekends -- Millennium Park has their free concerts on Mondays and Thursdays, and Ravinia has a show nearly every night during the peak of summer.
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
* Yes, Chicago's known for hot dogs, deep dish pizza and steaks. No, we don't all eat at Gino's, Giordano's, Gibson's and Hugo's Frog Bar. (In fact, most of us never eat there, even when our out-of-town visitors try to steer us their because their friend who visited Chicago a few months ago said it was fantastic.) Chicago's largely a city of ethnic neighborhoods, which restaurants that cater to the local ethnic populations. So if you go to Lincoln Square for Thai food, you can find way more than pad thai and satay--you'll find Thai food that actual Thai people eat. Ditto for "new" Chinatown, which has a thriving Vietnamese population. (Bahn mi seems to be on the verge of surpassing Italian Beef as Chicago's favorite sandwich.) Whether you want Korean or Polish, Indian or Italian...get away from Michigan Ave. to find the best ethnic eats.
Great idea for a thread.

Care to recommend a specific Thai restaurant? I would love to get some good Thai food in Chicago, and very willing to venture out of the loop area to find it.

I travel up to Argyle Street occasionally to get some great Vietnamese food (discovered as a result of an awesome Sweet Willie DO some years ago), but have not found the killer Thai place yet.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Care to recommend a specific Thai restaurant? I would love to get some good Thai food in Chicago, and very willing to venture out of the loop area to find it.
I would recommend Tac Quick next to the Sheridan 'L' stop. Lots of "regular" Thai food, but also a (well-publicized) secret menu with traditional Thai dishes, all of which are very reasonably priced.

I've also heard good things about Pho's near the Paulina Brown Line stop, but have not had the chance to try it myself.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Great idea for a thread.

I travel up to Argyle Street occasionally to get some great Vietnamese food (discovered as a result of an awesome Sweet Willie DO some years ago), but have not found the killer Thai place yet.
If you're OK with complete dive restaurants, Rainbow Cuisine Thai is fantastic (and BYOB, dirt cheap).

linglingfool mentioned TAC Quick, which has long been one of my go-to places, but I haven't been there since the head chef left to open ATK/Andy's Thai Kitchen in Lakeview (nor have I made it to ATK yet). Recent feedback on both seems to be strong.

Since I've just linked to them twice in two paragraphs, LTHForum.com is the Flyertalk for Chicago food lovers. There's a strong bias of food over environment, so you may find yourself in some places no ambiance, but you'll seldom have a bad meal if you follow their recommendations. They put together a handy list of Great Neighborhood Restaurants (which also includes some bars and markets). Several of us post on FT and LTH using the same usernames.

Originally Posted by glg
If you want to be up high, hit the bar at the Signature Room in the Hancock. The drinks are overpriced, but the view is spectacular and at least you're getting a drink instead of paying just to ride the elevator. Oh, and my wife says to visit the ladies room, it has windows (none in the mens)
Good point! Also, there's no requirement that you actually sit down to eat/drink once you get up to the Signature Room. You could always peruse the menu (or ask how long you'd have to wait for a window table), take a quick look around and then leave. (And, yes, your wife is correct about the view from the women's room.)
Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Wow. The Rainbow Thai Cuisine place looks perfect. I am going to try that out tonight. Thanks for the great suggestion.

And I am perfectly fine with "dive" places.
Old May 1, 2014, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rainbow Thai Cuisine was great.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/dinin...l#post22791660

Thanks again for the suggestion.
JB OmahAA likes this.

Last edited by goodeats21; May 1, 2014 at 3:24 pm
Old May 1, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA, Hilton Honors
Great idea for a thread.

Another good choice (in the Lincoln Square Area) is Sticky Rice:

Reviews are solid: http://www.yelp.com/biz/sticky-rice-chicago

http://stickyricethai.com/

In addition, they deliver to Half Acre. ( For those not familiar, Half Acre does not have a kitchen so they encourage you to bring your food. They have a binder of menus on each table but I have yet to see one for Sticky Rice so you may have to pull them up on your phone.)

Last edited by u2fan; May 1, 2014 at 2:25 pm Reason: added info
Old May 1, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA, Hilton Honors
Get a massage at 'Pain Stop': the yelp reviews say it all:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-pain-sto...herapy-chicago
Old May 1, 2014, 4:46 pm

Sushi: Kamehachi. I guess the original location moved a couple blocks north and there are others now; use the google
Old May 1, 2014, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Hey, this is a great thread.

Maybe the next time I'm transiting ORD, I'll add in another day or two and explore some places. I was woefully disappointed with the deep dish pizza I had in March. My fault, really, as I let the Concierge talk me into another place, other than what the FT'ers/MP'ers told me about at the Hyatt event.

Any good Indonesian restaurants?
Old May 2, 2014, 6:46 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I was woefully disappointed with the deep dish pizza I had in March.
A few tips on deep dish pizza.

There are two kinds of deep dish, Pan & Stuffed. The two are VERY different from one another.

Stuffed is a crust on bottom, stuffed w/cheese & 'toppings', then another layer of dough, then sauce on top. So more like a pizza pie. Places like Giordano's & Eduardo's are known for their stuffed.

Pan pizza is crust on bottom, cheese, 'toppings', then sauce. Places like Lou Malnati's, Gino's East, serve pan pizza.

To me there is no comparison on quality, pan pizza easily outshines stuffed.

Lastly: If you find yourself hankering for a deep dish pizza outside of Chicago Do NOT ever go to an Uno's pizzeria & grill franchise (www.unos.com ), it is an abomination franchise chain of the original Pizzeria Uno's (which is excellent & can be found at 29 E Ohio, one block north of Pizzeria Uno is Pizzeria Due which also serves excellent pan pizza like Pizzeria Uno's)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.