FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Un-Tourist's Guide to Chicago
View Single Post
Old Sep 19, 2022, 3:54 pm
Lubey

Programs: MileagePlus, Mileage Plan
Originally Posted by CLEguy
Boy howdy do I have you covered. You'll want to head to West Town for beer. In a few block radius you have a bunch of places:
  • Midwest Coast
  • On Tour Brewing
  • District Brew Yards (a pour-your-own place with the beer from four or five onsite breweries)
  • Goose Island (the actual brewhouse)
  • Finch
I'll add on to this list for other parts of the city:
  • Dovetail and Metropolitan are fantastic for German style beer. Both are north of the city, Metropolitan is not the easiest to get to but has a great patio on the river (I'll talk about Dovetail in the next point).
  • Begyle is fantastic too and has the advantage of being literally across the street from Dovetail. These two easily accessible from the brown line
  • Up from Dovetail and Begyle by a 20 minute walk is a place called Cultivate by Forbidden Root (in the old Band of Bohemia spot, which if I remember correctly used to be the only Michelin stared brewery in the world). It's really good, some of their beers can be a bit out there, but on Mondays they have a $16 Beer, Burger and Bourbon special that can't be beat imo. Their other food is apparently fantastic too, I've only been on Mondays and I have to get the special.
  • In the loop Adams Street Brewing makes solid German beers, it's in the Berghoff restaurant so you'll be sitting at a restaurant bar, but it's good to stop by if you're in the area, otherwise I'm not sure it's worth going out of your way to go to, unlike the ones above.
  • For IPA's, Revolution is the obvious answer, and they do them pretty well. I'd recommend the Logan Square location (although I've never been to the production facility), it's easier to get to and there's a lot of other neat places around there.