Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Midwest
Reload this Page >

The Un-Tourist's Guide to Chicago

The Un-Tourist's Guide to Chicago

Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by legalalien
If you desire free breakfast, but don't have status with either chain, your best choices are probably Residence Inn River North or it's brother SpringHill Suites next door on Dearborn, Fairfield Inn River North on Clark (or it's brother Hyatt Place next door) or Embassy Suites on State St. While neither is *on* Magnificent Mile, all are close enough and are likely to be less expensive than full service properties on Michigan Ave. I haven't stayed at the Embassy Suites, but the rest are fairly new or recently renovated properties, not your typical suburban extended stay hotels.
Thanks for the suggestions. I've looked into a couple that you mentioned. Matter of fact I have the one on Dearborn on hold. Embassy suites seemed nice as well. And breakfast included would be a plus. There was also a Home2Suites (believe that the name) in that area that we are considering as well. But will look at the others too. Thanks
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:31 am

Stan's doughnuts is a must. Get there early before the popular ones sell out
Caribgrl likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Originally Posted by JBord
I've always liked his articles, back to the Trib days, but expected this to be either silly tourist stuff or elitist foodie fads. It was neither. I don't understand the inclusion of Garrett's on the list, but otherwise agree that this is a good introduction to our food...not all the best restaurants, but a good representation of the Chicago food scene. Including Rick Bayless, Paul Kahan, and Grant Achatz establishments on the list and selecting Italian beef over deep dish makes it legit.
La Pasadita has had some food poisoning issues of late. I'd suggest another of the ubiquitous late night taquerias.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:43 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Hi FT Chicagoland,

Just moved to the city, and Im trying to create a map of the best locations to try ______ cuisine.

Locals have already mentioned that

Parts of Kedzie are good for the Levant
Taylor St. for Italian
Somewhere on Broadway for Ethiopian
Devon and Western for Indian
Pilsen for Mexican

--
Are those suggestions current? What else would you recommend, and are Ukranian Village, Greektown, and Chinatown really best for those countries?

Thanks!
BmB
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Hi FT Chicagoland,

Just moved to the city, and Im trying to create a map of the best locations to try ______ cuisine.

Locals have already mentioned that

Parts of Kedzie are good for the Levant
Taylor St. for Italian
Somewhere on Broadway for Ethiopian
Devon and Western for Indian
Pilsen for Mexican

--
Are those suggestions current? What else would you recommend, and are Ukranian Village, Greektown, and Chinatown really best for those countries?

Thanks!
BmB
You can add Devon Ave on the far north side for Indian and Pakistani cuisine. Irving Park and Lawrence for Serbian and Bosnian cuisine.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Albany Park for good Mexican and Middle Eastern (especially Iranian).
Argyle for Vietnamese.
North Center area (Western and Lawrence) for Korean.
Chinatown for Chinese, although seek local advice as there are hit or miss places. Strangely, Chengdu Impression in Lincoln Park is probably the best Sichuan restaurant in the city.
aktchi and Lubey like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:52 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Just as a quick caution, there are certainly ethnic neighborhoods in Chicago, but I wouldn't limit myself to only trying ethnic food in one neighborhood. Quantity doesn't always equal quality as the neighborhoods have grown and changed. For example, Ukranian Village was mentioned, and it's now mainly known as a collection of hip, trendy bars and restaurants rather than Eastern European. Lincoln Square used to be a German neighborhood but now only has a couple authentic German restaurants left.

That said, one would be missing out if you don't try Mexican in Pilsen or Vietnamese on Argyle St. But there are lots of good ethnic restaurants scattered throughout the city.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 6:47 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Originally Posted by glg
If you want to be up high, hit the bar at the Signature Room in the Hancock. The drinks are overpriced, but the view is spectacular and at least you're getting a drink instead of paying just to ride the elevator. Oh, and my wife says to visit the ladies room, it has windows (none in the mens )
Take in a show at the Chicago Shakespeare Theater at Navy Pier..great shows and the best views from a Ladies' Room you will ever see (my husband claims Men's room view is equally awesome).

(I am told, I have not confirmed) the best priced Hamilton tickets in the country. Went recently on a Tuesday night for $125 per person in great Orchestra seats.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 3, 2019 at 9:10 am Reason: merge
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:57 pm

Programs: MileagePlus, Mileage Plan
Originally Posted by rdurlabhji
Albany Park for good Mexican and Middle Eastern (especially Iranian).
Argyle for Vietnamese.
North Center area (Western and Lawrence) for Korean.
Chinatown for Chinese, although seek local advice as there are hit or miss places. Strangely, Chengdu Impression in Lincoln Park is probably the best Sichuan restaurant in the city.
I absolutely second Chengdu Impression. I've eaten at a lot of Chinese places in Chinatown, and CI smokes all of them. Best Sichuan in the Chicagoland area imo
Old Mar 5, 2022, 2:27 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Hi, unfamiliar with Chicago and would appreciate some insight please. Thinking of a city break, coming over from the UK. We usually go to NYC and want a change., If we stay in the downtown are are there some easily accessible places for shopping, certain areas to head to? Thanks
Old Mar 6, 2022, 7:30 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Hi, unfamiliar with Chicago and would appreciate some insight please. Thinking of a city break, coming over from the UK. We usually go to NYC and want a change., If we stay in the downtown are are there some easily accessible places for shopping, certain areas to head to? Thanks
The area many tourists look for when booking hotels is called "Near North Side", closer to the lakefront and the Magnificent Mile (Michigan Avenue). It is near shopping, theater theatre, museums, and architectural landmarks that Chicago is known for.

How long do you plan to stay and what are your interests, in addition to shopping?
aktchi and ExpatSomchai like this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 9:16 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by legalalien
The area many tourists look for when booking hotels is called "Near North Side", closer to the lakefront and the Magnificent Mile (Michigan Avenue). It is near shopping, theater theatre, museums, and architectural landmarks that Chicago is known for.

How long do you plan to stay and what are your interests, in addition to shopping?
Hi Legalalien, Probably just over for a long weekend. Would the Mag mile be a good location to be within walking distance to the main tourist areas?
Old Mar 6, 2022, 10:24 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Would the Mag mile be a good location to be within walking distance to the main tourist areas?
The Magnificent Mile is in the heart of the main tourist area. In the spring and summer, its sidewalks are as crowded as Disneyland's Main Street on a holiday weekend. My daughter used to live a block away, near the Water Tower; when she moves back to Chicago, she's going to look for an apartment farther away to avoid the crowds.
gretchendz and ExpatSomchai like this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 4:25 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Hi Legalalien, Probably just over for a long weekend. Would the Mag mile be a good location to be within walking distance to the main tourist areas?
If you're referring to the most popular tourist areas, most are within a few blocks of the lake running from what's known as Museum Campus (where the Field Museum and Adler Planetarium are located) to about Oak Street. The Mag Mile is located squarely within that zone. There are plenty of hotels there at all price points, and most of the tourist attractions are either walkable, or within a few stops on a bus or the L.
ExpatSomchai likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
I was an unplanned Chicago tourist in late 2020. I enjoyed an architectural cruise and I rented a road bike and rode from navy pier all the way south and then all the way to the north and back on the greenway along the lake. It's quite a ride. I'd describe myself as fit, but not a regular cyclist. Great views especially from the south ends of the trail back towards downtown.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.