Reload this Page >

Guide to the Milwaukee Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guide to the Milwaukee Airport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2010, 5:21 am

I think it has been discussed before, but Northpoint Burgers and Custard will be coming to the main mall area, where Edy's ice cream used to be. It should be open sometime in November or December.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 5:36 am

November/December? Fortunately frozen custard is never out of season in Milwaukee...
Old Sep 2, 2010, 7:59 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by knope2001
November/December? Fortunately frozen custard is never out of season in Milwaukee...
Hopefully it will be *good* frozen custard ala Leon's or LeDuc's - my personal favorites - and not the ice crystally stuff a place here in Hartland used to sell.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by bunnyt
Hopefully it will be *good* frozen custard ala Leon's or LeDuc's - my personal favorites - and not the ice crystally stuff a place here in Hartland used to sell.
It will be the same as the custard served at Northpoint...located just south of Bradford Beach in Milwaukee.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by bunnyt
Hopefully it will be *good* frozen custard
Joe Bartolotta usually never does anything, but first class.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 4:43 pm

Usinger's Deli & Bar opened on Concourse D today, next to Johnny Rocket's. It offers carry-out, as well as sit-down service.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by mke9499
Usinger's Deli & Bar opened on Concourse D today, next to Johnny Rocket's. It offers carry-out, as well as sit-down service.
Nothing like a Usinger's brat. Sorry Knope, I'd rank it ahead of Johnsonville, JV is a close second.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by RSVP
Nothing like a Usinger's brat. Sorry Knope, I'd rank it ahead of Johnsonville, JV is a close second.
Thems fight'n words to somebody from Sheboygan! (just kidding)
Old Sep 3, 2010, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by knope2001
Thems fight'n words to somebody from Sheboygan! (just kidding)
Old Sep 15, 2010, 2:25 am

New bar and grill coming to Concourse E, called Cooler By The Lake, should be open at the end of November.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 8:09 am

Expansion at MKE?

From The Daily Reporter:

By Joe Lanane
Milwaukee County might spend $500,000 reviewing a General Mitchell International Airport expansion in an airline market that has left terminals shuttered throughout the nation.
Airport Director Barry Bateman requested money in next year’s county budget to pay for a study of expansion options at the airport. Now is the time, he said, to review...
Old Oct 7, 2010, 8:24 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Seems like they are in a no-win situation. Expansion takes time. 2-5 years down the road is an eternity for this industry and I don't think any study can predict what will happen. How many airports around the country have finished expansions just as the major carrier pulls the plug on them ( Think the new runway at STL ).

Yet the airport authority does not want to be in the position of turning away requests for increased usage from airlines.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 3:33 pm

First off, the airport is operated by Milwaukee County...not a separate airport authority.

Second...imagine if the County didn't have the foresight to build the C concourse hammerhead a few years ago. Things would have really been cramped...Actually, I doubt AirTran would have been able to build a small hub at MKE without that expansion.

The airport folks will have to be careful to not build a concourse that is later mothballed. After all, look at what's happened at PIT and CVG, where they have completely sealed off parts of concourses.

At the same time, they have to try to project for future growth. I think they are smart in assuming growth will be modest.

Last edited by newsmanhoss; Oct 7, 2010 at 6:58 pm
Old Oct 7, 2010, 3:45 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Agree completely.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 7:51 pm

Things appear to be working out well for MKE in this regard because of the WN/FL merger.

Today both the AirTran and Frontier operation are highly banked, and are tight for space at peak times but have low utilizaton at other times.

Southwest/AirTran uses ten gates today. Even if Southwest ultimately runs a relatively large operation at Milwaukee (like 40-50/day) they probably won't need more than 5 or 6 gates because they don't run banked hubs. And if Southwest is that large at MKE, they will be carrying a whole lot of new local traffic growth.

Frontier, who will still run a banked operation, is quite likely to get two of those freed up gates to again have D for themselves. That gives them room to add more spokes to their banks, including stacking more RJ's on the hammerhead if needed.

So for the airport:

One hub airline (WN) can handle a lot of potential additional local traffic growth if it should come, but still has gates to release.

The other hub airline (F9) will probably gain two gates, to allow them to expand if they so choose.

Two gates or so will open up for future demand / future carriers.

Milwaukee probably doesn't need any more gates for a good while now that WN is taking over FL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.