Reload this Page >

Mexico 2021 Coronavirus / COVID-19 travel alerts, information, discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 23, 2020, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The land border between Mexico and the USA has been closed for land crossings into the USA. That means non-essential travel is not allowed into the USA across the land border. Exceptions exist for medical appointments, students going to school or back, persons employed in essential services on the other side of the border, etc.

NOTE: US Citizens and legal residents can not be denied entry into the USA, though there may be requirements for Covid-19 testing. Visitors attempting to cross the land border from Mexico are banned at this writing. Air travel is not affected at this time, other than the requirement for Covid-19 negative test result within three days (not 72 hours) of arrival, or proof of having had Covid-19 recently. Many hotels easily arrange for these, and there is a growing number of vendors including mobile testing that will come to your location.

Arriving and departing passengers are increasingly required to fill out an online form accessible here. Once the form is filled out (the date is fixed, so it can’t be backdated or filled out in advance, a form with a QR code and case number will be presented. This must be presented to health authorities upon arrival at airports and a new one on departure. It is suggested 1) you do this prior to airport arrival if you have no cellular service in México if you can, because passengers are reporting WiFi instability and slowness at airports, e.g. onboard if you have WiFi or on the ground prior to departure, or in your hotel prior to going to the airport, and 2) making a screen shot you can present.

Mexico operates on an “epidemic semaphore” system, which governs what is open, hours, occupancy, etc. which can be seen here (Castilian Spanish): https://coronavirus.gob.mx/semaforo/

html

Example of “epidemic semaphore” system for April 26 - May 9, 2021.

Link to US Embassy and Consulates in Mexico (US Department of State).

Link to US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) requirements for people arriving to the USA.

Some Mexican citizens formed a citizens vigilante group taking action to interfere with American traffic crossing into the state of Sonora; these appear to not be active in 2021.

link go State Department Global Level 4 Health Advisory (Do not travel to...)

link to COVID-19 Information for U.S. Citizens in Mexico, US Embassies & Consulates in Mexico

link to Status of U.S. Consular Operations in Mexico in Light of COVID-19

link to Mexico News Daily

Link to archive of 2020 thread and posts

Print Wikipost

Mexico 2021 Coronavirus / COVID-19 travel alerts, information, discussion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2021, 11:16 am

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
I've been seeing mixed reports on the land border for San Diego / Tijuana. Officially closed, but plenty of reports of people walking over. Any updates from FT welcome.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
We just arrived in Puerto Vallarta. Airport was very quick yesterday. Used ABTC card to bypass visitor line but I would say that regular visitor line was only 10 minutes tops.

We preprinted Immigration and Health forms online. We don’t like to mess with phones or QR code’s but that’s also an option for the health forms.

Thr customs guy refused to accept the preprinted customs form and made us complete a new one. So I would try to get a paper form on the plane. No big deal and we got the green light so all was good.

All airport staff was wearing masks. Ditto for hotel staff. At airport arrival all visitors were wearing masks. At resort mask compliance is good in elevators but otherwise tourists not wearing masks at pool, beach or in restaurants. Of course not needed outdoors.

will report back on testing. Apparently you have to sign up the night before in hotel lobby and then they test you the next day.
JDiver, JBord and tstauck like this.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 12:49 am
cmx

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, AS MVP, SW ALP and CP, b6 Mosaic, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by leland
I've been seeing mixed reports on the land border for San Diego / Tijuana. Officially closed, but plenty of reports of people walking over. Any updates from FT welcome.
I haven't heard of any issues. If you are a US citizen, they can't stop you from entering the country. SENTRI still running, as well as other car lanes. For walkers, Pedwest is closed, but Pedeast is still open. I've still been waiting to hear about someone being turned back from entering Mexico at the San Ysidro crossing.
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA, AS, Volaris, VivaAerobús
Originally Posted by leland
I have been driving back and forth between San Diego / Tijuana border throughout the pandemic. I would avoid walking in because I read somewhere that IMN is forcing walkers to get the 180 day permit for which you have to pay ~$30 when most people only need the free 1-7 day permit. PedEast is open, but I don't walk-in anymore.

It's only closed for Mexicans with Border Crossing cards and probably other foreigners. It has been somewhat empty down by San Ysidro and the Las Americas mall isn't as busy as it used to be. Only briefly did the CBP try to strangle traffic back to the USA to discourage non-essential crossings. Mexicans with H-2A visas can still cross into the USA to work.

You may see messages on the boards like when driving south down the 5
TRAVEL LIMITED
__ACROSS__
US/MEXICO BORDER

But it doesn't prevent US Citizens/LPR from visiting Mexico and returning back to the USA.
Mexico hasn't really closed down for US Citizens/LPRs.
JDiver and leland like this.

Last edited by i0wnj00; Apr 8, 2021 at 11:06 pm
Old Apr 14, 2021, 1:12 pm

Programs: AeroMexico Club Premiere
Just back from 6 weeks in Acapulco.
Locals for the most part are good about wearing masks, tourists (mainly Chilangos) less so.
Pretty much all stores, restaurants, malls, etc. following protocols - masks, gels, spraying/wiping down tables and chairs. For the most part spacing tables well, limiting access, etc.
Testing for Antigen is easily available at $330Mxn. PCR less so, and to get it in the 72 hour window is expensive - $2400Mxn. There is one place offering for $1000, but their timeframe is less certain.
Vaccination rollout has been very poorly done. Only just got through the 1st round of 65+, Sinocam. They are telling people +/- 40 days for the second shot (recommended 2-3 weeks), while they start round 1 for 55+. So this means that the effectiveness is going to be limited, and IMO give many a false sense of security.
Old May 25, 2021, 3:23 am

I'm planning a visit to Mexico in the end of June, and I have three questions that I hope somebody can help me with:

1. I've noticed that Quintana Roo is orange, and that there are speculations that it may go into lockdown soon. I'm not interested in visiting if there's a lockdown, so how likely is that prospect?

2. When checking hotels in Quintana Roo and in the Valladolid/Chichen-Itza area on Hotels.com, I've noticed that many hotels state that "bed sheets are not included." Is that really so, and is it a pandemic thing?

3. This is not covid-related, but I'll ask while I'm here: I want to get a local sim card with free or generous data, but everywhere I check there's sim cards with free calls, but with very limited data. I don't really need free calls at all. Is it easy to obtain a sim for data at MEX or CUN?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 31, 2021, 3:53 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Found the answer!

Last edited by Markie; May 31, 2021 at 5:25 am
Old Jun 1, 2021, 6:55 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by Markie
Found the answer!
Was it "42"?

or, put another way, are you referring to the question from February? or a different question?
Old Jun 23, 2021, 3:07 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Does someone know of a hotel in Mexico City which offers PCR test in the hotel? Or to be more precise, a hotel which hires a third party vendor to come to the hotel for the test.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 3:48 am

Programs: AF/KLM Club2000 Ultimate / M&M HON Circle / ALL Diamond / Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by escape4
Does someone know of a hotel in Mexico City which offers PCR test in the hotel? Or to be more precise, a hotel which hires a third party vendor to come to the hotel for the test.
Sofitel Reforma does it
But I think that most of the hotels are able to provide this service
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by matmatlr
Sofitel Reforma does it
But I think that most of the hotels are able to provide this service
Thank you! I originally contacted St.Regis and they said no, hence my question here. Coincidentally I was going to ask Sofitel because it's nearby. Since you are confirming, I definitely will
Old Jun 24, 2021, 5:38 pm

I was informed by Sofitel that they provide antigen test at the hotel, but not PCR test. So I renew my question, is someone aware of any hotel which provides PCR test on the property? Or is it necessary to go to a clinic?
Old Jun 26, 2021, 9:11 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Currently in Puerto Vallarta, no masks required at the resort property or walking around town, or going into bars or restaurants. Only place they seem to be required is when shopping in stores. So largely normal again overall IMO.

Also not required when taking my Covid test yesterday for the flight back tomorrow. Most people did have a mask in that testing area (large conference room at the resort), but it wasn't posted as a requirement nor did anyone ask. Negative test result (as expected, as I'm fully vaccinated), emailed to me about 2 hours after the test.

At the resort, still about 5% of the people have masks on. Masks still required for any workers, inside or out.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 6:21 pm

For people interested, so far this is what I found out, which Mexico City hotels provide covid PCR test from the hotel, and who does not:

Yes: Le Meridien, Las Alcobas, W, JW Marriott
No: St.Regis, Sofitel
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 9:00 am

Programs: AeroMexico Club Premiere
Grupo Posadas (Fiesta Americana among other hotels) seems to have arranged for onsite Antigen and PCR tests at its hotels. Depending on circumstances Antigen tests may be free, but PCR tests will require a charge. https://www.posadas.com/en/travelwit...dence#test-tag

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.