Reload this Page >

Mexico 2021 Coronavirus / COVID-19 travel alerts, information, discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 23, 2020, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The land border between Mexico and the USA has been closed for land crossings into the USA. That means non-essential travel is not allowed into the USA across the land border. Exceptions exist for medical appointments, students going to school or back, persons employed in essential services on the other side of the border, etc.

NOTE: US Citizens and legal residents can not be denied entry into the USA, though there may be requirements for Covid-19 testing. Visitors attempting to cross the land border from Mexico are banned at this writing. Air travel is not affected at this time, other than the requirement for Covid-19 negative test result within three days (not 72 hours) of arrival, or proof of having had Covid-19 recently. Many hotels easily arrange for these, and there is a growing number of vendors including mobile testing that will come to your location.

Arriving and departing passengers are increasingly required to fill out an online form accessible here. Once the form is filled out (the date is fixed, so it can’t be backdated or filled out in advance, a form with a QR code and case number will be presented. This must be presented to health authorities upon arrival at airports and a new one on departure. It is suggested 1) you do this prior to airport arrival if you have no cellular service in México if you can, because passengers are reporting WiFi instability and slowness at airports, e.g. onboard if you have WiFi or on the ground prior to departure, or in your hotel prior to going to the airport, and 2) making a screen shot you can present.

Mexico operates on an “epidemic semaphore” system, which governs what is open, hours, occupancy, etc. which can be seen here (Castilian Spanish): https://coronavirus.gob.mx/semaforo/

html

Example of “epidemic semaphore” system for April 26 - May 9, 2021.

Link to US Embassy and Consulates in Mexico (US Department of State).

Link to US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) requirements for people arriving to the USA.

Some Mexican citizens formed a citizens vigilante group taking action to interfere with American traffic crossing into the state of Sonora; these appear to not be active in 2021.

link go State Department Global Level 4 Health Advisory (Do not travel to...)

link to COVID-19 Information for U.S. Citizens in Mexico, US Embassies & Consulates in Mexico

link to Status of U.S. Consular Operations in Mexico in Light of COVID-19

link to Mexico News Daily

Link to archive of 2020 thread and posts

Print Wikipost

Mexico 2021 Coronavirus / COVID-19 travel alerts, information, discussion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2021, 9:29 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingSloth
nice.. how is the customs check at the border entering Mexico? I've been 'harassed' 3 out of the 5 times I've flown into Mexico with their stupid "green button" "red button" system. I carry a lot of electronics and nutritional supplements with me on trips to Mexico and always afraid they're going to try to charge "taxes" for bringing "too much" (it's not too much in my opinion.. just I usually take long trips in Mexico). Thanks for any insight. If I can avoid the customs non-sense on the Mexican side I'd rather just Uber it across the border.
I've hit the green and the red, but also been pulled aside when they see something in my luggage x-ray that they want to check (or take, in the case of some nuts that weren't allowed and once a beef jerky stick I got on the plane which I failed to declare as a meat product... I'm vegetarian, what can I say), but never harassed, always treated quite courteously (even when bringing in a TON of stuff for wedding where I must have looked like a reseller), curious what you experienced and which airport. I like the randomness of red/green vs a biased agent picking me out of the line (as happens to me with TSA despite having GE etc etc)

Last edited by abaheti; Mar 3, 2021 at 1:52 pm
Old Mar 3, 2021, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Markie
It looks like the online form has been replaced by an App (which I cannot find in the App Store) and a new web site.
You can only fill it 12 hours before arrival now - https://www.vuelaseguro.com/auth/login
Not much good when you have a 12 hour flight to get there!
Old Mar 7, 2021, 3:54 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Not much good when you have a 12 hour flight to get there!
I didn't in the end, use the app nor was there a form, but I expect this will change once the app is stable.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 12:04 pm

Programs: No airline/hotel status use, Chase UR, Amex MR, CapOne etc
Originally Posted by abaheti
I've hit the green and the red, but also been pulled aside when they see something in my luggage x-ray that they want to check (or take, in the case of some nuts that weren't allowed and once a beef jerky stick I got on the plane which I failed to declare as a meat product... I'm vegetarian, what can I say), but never harassed, always treated quite courteously (even when bringing in a TON of stuff for wedding where I must have looked like a reseller), curious what you experienced and which airport. I like the randomness of red/green vs a biased agent picking me out of the line (as happens to me with TSA despite having GE etc etc)
Why bother with CBX when heading to Mexico? It only saves you time heading the other way. You can just take any transport to the actual San Isidro crossing and if crossing on foot there is usually no line and no immigration at all, just one random soldier half asleep as you pass by him, at least thats been my experience. Just take the trolly down to the last station, walk or uber, cross, then uber again to TIJ.

NOTE: If you do that you'll want to cross back through CBX or via landborders on the way back, if you fly out mexican authorities may want to know 1. why don't have a stamp and 2. why you don't have FMM. If you do fly out, make sure to arrive to the airport early, say you lost your FMM ($30 fine) have an explanation ready, just say they forgot to stamp you etc, you entered through landborder, there was nobody at the gate (which is actually true a lot of time)

Also, avoid flying into CUN if you have stuff, they are far more corrupt then other airports.

Last edited by PointsPanda; Mar 8, 2021 at 12:35 pm
Old Mar 8, 2021, 12:18 pm

Hey guys,

Wanted to give you guys some updates from the ground:

*Was just in Mazatlan in late January, its basically 100% open, even nightclubs, bars, whatever. Still have to wear a mask outdoors though unless you want to drag attention to yourself.

*Was in Merida in late february - Ultra strict on masks, colombia style, you cant be outside in the scorching heat without a mask, even as a chin strap or the police will immediatelky fine you. Other than that most touristic sites and things are open. Nightlife and bars shut at 10pm. Very pleasent city, tons of history and cuisine, recommend it.

*Playa Del Carmen - Literally just got back - basically same as I remember it last June, only more stuff is open and a lot more people. Bars technically need to close at 11pm but its clear its totally ignored, tons of parties. They've gotten much stricter on masks then the last time I was there, but you can still get away with not wearing one outside. Beaches are open, pretty much everything is open. I didn't make it to Tulum but i'm sure you guys already know by now there are major 500 even 1,000 people parties going on there with govt looking the other way.

*Mexico City (where I live) - We finally passed to "orange light" a few weeks ago. Hospital occupancy is down to 50% from 90% only 7 weeks ago, though its plateued. 25% of people over 60 have been vaccinated, the government expects it to be 100% by the end of April so even if there is another spike all the old folks will be protected soon. CDMX is really the only place in Mexico where vaccination is moving at enough speed to make a difference by April, rest of the country nobody is being vaccinated really.

Mandatory contact tracing still in force but widely ignored, though some restuarants may make you scan the QR code and register. Still pretty strict on masks, but you can get away with not wearing one outside though I usually do cause I dont wanna draw attention to myself. Some bars are operating as restaurants till 10pm (Mar 20 update: 11pm now). The "Speakeasy" clubs are operating more and more in the open, its expected they will be allowed to "oficially" reopen soon. This week the government is finally allowing alcohol sales in stores/shops on the weekend, something that had been banned the last 2 months or so (though also spottily enforced). Museums/tourist sites were only allowed to open 10 days ago, most remain closed as they prepare to reopn with the new sanitation measures, but will be opening imminently. If trends continue more restrictions will be dropped over the coming weeks. I still wouldn't recommend coming though. A lot of tourists and dig nomads have returned, the city is slowly springing back to life.

*Guadalajara - Haven't been, but have a friend there he said they are now in "yellow light" medium risk which essentially means everything is open, even bars, clubs, gyms etc.

TLDR - There are very few restrictions right now in Mexico, with the exception of Mexico City where light, but tolerable restrictions are in force.
JDiver, Boraxo, Bogwoppit and 4 others like this.

Last edited by PointsPanda; Mar 23, 2021 at 10:06 am
Old Mar 11, 2021, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA, AS, Volaris, VivaAerobús
Originally Posted by PointsPanda
Why bother with CBX when heading to Mexico? It only saves you time heading the other way. You can just take any transport to the actual San Isidro crossing and if crossing on foot there is usually no line and no immigration at all, just one random soldier half asleep as you pass by him, at least thats been my experience. Just take the trolly down to the last station, walk or uber, cross, then uber again to TIJ.
This was a PITA for me and I was only carrying a backpack and a small carry on. I did this to save money, but it was more trouble than it was worth and it would have been easier to use CBX or drive in and park. I'm not doing this again if I have to carry stuff around, honestly I just drive in and deal with driving habits of the Tijuanense and the traffic or use CBX.

Mexico got rid of the half asleep soldier at Puerta Este and replaced him with an organized system for immigration and customs with a soldier (or 2) from the National Guard who's paying attention and the red/green is now people with any type of baggage who will have to drop their stuff on the x-ray machine. Not only that, they tore down the old setup and made it more pedestrian friendly. They added El Chaparral for pedestrians, as well and an organized system to deal with motor vehicle traffic.

Then you have to walk away a bit from Puerta Este to pick up your Uber ride.
Even though Juan Manuel Gastelum, the former mayor of Tijuana busted up the monopoly of amarillos at Puerta Este, there's still lingering resentment towards Uber drivers. Last time I checked, it was the libres that got the spots that the amarillos had, but they're still taxi drivers.

NOTE: If you do that you'll want to cross back through CBX or via landborders on the way back, if you fly out mexican authorities may want to know 1. why don't have a stamp and 2. why you don't have FMM. If you do fly out, make sure to arrive to the airport early, say you lost your FMM ($30 fine) have an explanation ready, just say they forgot to stamp you etc, you entered through landborder, there was nobody at the gate (which is actually true a lot of time)

Also, avoid flying into CUN if you have stuff, they are far more corrupt then other airports.
Now they make you get an FMM at Puerta Este and El Chaparral as a pedestrian, unless there's nobody there in the first place.If one is worried about the above then just visit the INM office inside TIJ.
PointsPanda likes this.

Last edited by i0wnj00; Mar 11, 2021 at 4:52 pm
Old Mar 12, 2021, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Observations on arriving in MEX and staying in the City:
-filled in arrivals form and covid forms electronically pre-departure and had print outs but they wanted manually completed ones instead.
- the snake style queue for immigration was too narrow to permit social distancing and mask wearing was not enforced in it.
- mask wearing in the street seemed nearly ubiquitous
​​​​​​- all establishments I visited did temperature checks on entry and most required hand sanitization.
- most hotels and restaurants were nearly empty.
sassybritches likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Observations on arriving in MEX and staying in the City:
-filled in arrivals form and covid forms electronically pre-departure and had print outs but they wanted manually completed ones instead.
thats very disappointing and has never happened to me elsewhere in Mexico (ie immigration forms). I always bring printouts but sounds like that didn’t work here.

I guess we will just have to wait for more data points and will report my own in a month.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 9:42 pm

Hey guys,

*Was just in Mazatlan in late January, its basically 100% open, even nightclubs, bars, whatever. Still have to wear a mask outdoors though unless you want to drag attention to yourself.

*Was in Merida in late february - Ultra strict on masks, colombia style, you cant be outside in the scorching heat without a mask, even as a chin strap or the police will immediatelky fine you. Other than that most touristic sites and things are open. Nightlife and bars shut at 10pm. Very pleasent city, tons of history and cuisine, recommend it.

*Playa Del Carmen - Literally just got back - basically same as I remember it last June, only more stuff is open and a lot more people. Bars technically need to close at 11pm but its clear its totally ignored, tons of parties. They've gotten much stricter on masks then the last time I was there, but you can still get away with not wearing one outside. Beaches are open, pretty much everything is open. I didn't make it to Tulum but i'm sure you guys already know by now there are major 500 even 1,000 people parties going on there with govt looking the other way.

*Mexico City (where I live) - We finally passed to "orange light" a few weeks ago. Hospital occupancy is down to 50% from 90% only 7 weeks ago, though its plateued. 25% of people over 60 have been vaccinated, the government expects it to be 100% by the end of April so even if there is another spike all the old folks will be protected soon. CDMX is really the only place in Mexico where vaccination is moving at enough speed to make a difference by April, rest of the country nobody is being vaccinated really.

Mandatory contact tracing still in force but widely ignored, though some restuarants may make you scan the QR code and register. Still pretty strict on masks, but you can get away with not wearing one outside though I usually do cause I dont wanna draw attention to myself. Some bars are operating as restaurants till 10pm. The "Speakeasy" clubs are operating more and more in the open, its expected they will be allowed to "oficially" reopen soon. This week the government is finally allowing alcohol sales in stores/shops on the weekend, something that had been banned the last 2 months or so (though also spottily enforced). Museums/tourist sites were only allowed to open 10 days ago, most remain closed as they prepare to reopn with the new sanitation measures, but will be opening imminently. If trends continue more restrictions will be dropped over the coming weeks. I still wouldn't recommend coming though. A lot of tourists and dig nomads have returned, the city is slowly springing back to life.

*Guadalajara - Haven't been, but have a friend there he said they are now in "yellow light" medium risk which essentially means everything is open, even bars, clubs, gyms etc.

TLDR - There are very few restrictions right now in Mexico, with the exception of Mexico City where light, but tolerable restrictions are in force.
Thanks for sharing. Just wondering for Mexico City about the alcohol sales - I saw that that restaurants are not allowed to serve alcohol past 7pm. Is that lifted now as well as part of the general lift to the ban?
Old Mar 15, 2021, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by aimango
Thanks for sharing. Just wondering for Mexico City about the alcohol sales - I saw that that restaurants are not allowed to serve alcohol past 7pm. Is that lifted now as well as part of the general lift to the ban?
Yes it was moved from 7pm to 9pm and now 11pm all in a few week span, 11pm is also when restaurants also close. They also restarted their "bar seguro" program where pubs can open as restaurant.

This week they had an update that we are on the verge of going from orange risk to yellow risk next week which will mean even less restrictions soon.
aimango likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 9:47 pm
Suspended

Hey guys,

Mandatory contact tracing still in force but widely ignored, though some restuarants may make you scan the QR code and register. Still pretty strict on masks, but you can get away with not wearing one outside though I usually do cause I dont wanna draw attention to myself. Some bars are operating as restaurants till 10pm. The "Speakeasy" clubs are operating more and more in the open, its expected they will be allowed to "oficially" reopen soon. This week the government is finally allowing alcohol sales in stores/shops on the weekend, something that had been banned the last 2 months or so (though also spottily enforced). Museums/tourist sites were only allowed to open 10 days ago, most remain closed as they prepare to reopn with the new sanitation measures, but will be opening imminently. If trends continue more restrictions will be dropped over the coming weeks. I still wouldn't recommend coming though. A lot of tourists and dig nomads have returned, the city is slowly springing back to life.

For Mexico City have you heard when museums might open? I have a trip next month and again in June, it would be nice to break up my days and do some historical learning.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 12:57 pm

Museums and archeological sites were allowed to open as of a few weeks ago, but many remain closed as they'd rather just wait for this crisis to blow over rather then deal with all the covid distancing bs etc, i'd check before hand if this is important to you. Theres also a good chance the government will either encourage or possibly even mandate many sites to close again for Holy Week (Semana Santa) to discourage travel. Holy week is to Mexicans what Christmas week is to Americans in terms of travel.

If you're coming in April there probably will be few to no restrictions by that point other then nightclubs being closed and having to wear masks everywhere. Here's the latest report if interested

p.s. Update, had a friend go to Teotiuacan last week, its still closed.
JDiver, LETTERBOY, aimango and 1 others like this.

Last edited by PointsPanda; Mar 22, 2021 at 9:29 pm
Old Mar 22, 2021, 11:20 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
I just did five days in Cozumel and everything went very smooth. Did not do much in "town" but walked around the square a couple of hours Friday where about half the shops and restaurants are shuttered since there are no cruise ships (which was nice LOL). Most of our time was south of town at the hotel, beach, or out on the water snorkeling and such. Locals all wore masks, while at the hotel beach and restaurant side no tourists did. In town it seemed about 2/3rds of the tourists had masks. My flights from IAH down and back were packed 100% with Spring Break time going on. COVID tests are easy to get around town for the flights back to the USA and most of the bigger hotels offer them for free or for ~25 US/500 MXN Even the little airport lounge was open and in the airport masks usage was 100%. The archelogy sites like San Gervasio were open as was the great little museum in town, and all the dive shops were open it seemed.

Unrelated but to piggyback on PointsPanda's post above...I think Merida is a great city. I go there often for meetings and always enjoy it. Took the family a couple of times too since Progresso and Chichen Itza are so close plus they had some great family festivals in town.
kirkwoodj and PointsPanda like this.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 12:21 am

Just came back from Mexico City.
Regarding the restrictions - It seemed like there was still an 11pm curfew for serving in person at all establishments. Also seemed like there was still a rule in place for indoor dining only allowed before 7pm at least on the weekends. This was mostly okay since outdoor dining is aplenty and the weather is perfect temperature in the evenings.

Mexico City is more Covid conscious than any other US city right now particularly with the mandatory temp checks, the foot mats filled with sanitizer you must step on, and the provided sanitizer before entering. Every worker wears both face mask and face shield. A number of places even have machines to spray you down with sanitizer too. I definitely felt very safe wrt sanitation.
For sightseeing, Teotihuacan was open, disappointing that the path for climbing the pyramid was closed off but it was still great to see. The castle, anthropology museum, and national palace were closed.

We were able to go to Palacio de Belles Arte, the Tolerance Museum, Soumaya Museum, and Jumex museum which had all exhibits open. Also booked a ticket for Casa Luiz barragan (make sure to book early since it’s a small space). Modern Art museum was open with only one exhibit.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 4:53 am

Programs: Delta SM
Originally Posted by aimango
Just came back from Mexico City.
Regarding the restrictions - It seemed like there was still an 11pm curfew for serving in person at all establishments. Also seemed like there was still a rule in place for indoor dining only allowed before 7pm at least on the weekends. This was mostly okay since outdoor dining is aplenty and the weather is perfect temperature in the evenings.

Mexico City is more Covid conscious than any other US city right now particularly with the mandatory temp checks, the foot mats filled with sanitizer you must step on, and the provided sanitizer before entering. Every worker wears both face mask and face shield. A number of places even have machines to spray you down with sanitizer too. I definitely felt very safe wrt sanitation.
For sightseeing, Teotihuacan was open, disappointing that the path for climbing the pyramid was closed off but it was still great to see. The castle, anthropology museum, and national palace were closed.

We were able to go to Palacio de Belles Arte, the Tolerance Museum, Soumaya Museum, and Jumex museum which had all exhibits open. Also booked a ticket for Casa Luiz barragan (make sure to book early since it’s a small space). Modern Art museum was open with only one exhibit.
In Tulum right now -- a lot of the same safety protocols are in effect but it's just theater. How many cases of covid have been prevented by stepping in sanitizer? No one taking temps even looks at the result, and hand sanitizer is great but the issue with this illness is swapping air, not contact. It's all designed to make people feel better... until they get covid because these absurd practices allow people to let their guard down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.