Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Mexico 2020 Coronavirus / COVID-19 travel alerts, information, discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Mexico 2020 Coronavirus / COVID-19 travel alerts, information, discussion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:36 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Exclamation ARCHIVE: Mexico 2020 Coronavirus / COVID-19 travel alerts, information, discussion

delete

Please see Mexico 2021 Coronavirus / COVID-19 travel alerts, information, discussion for current thread and discussion.

¡Gracias!

Last edited by JDiver; May 3, 2021 at 3:08 pm Reason: Add moderator note
Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:04 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Most reports are Mexicans are not practicing social distancing. Festivals, weddings, social events, etc. are still going on. People are frequently misinformed and are resorting to quackery to protect themselves, e.g. washing eyes, rinsing mouth and gargling with colloidal silver four times a day. Tests for the novel Coronavirus are not available at all, in most cases. Some doctors have claimed there’s no such thing as a Covid-19, it’s a conspiracy theory or disinformation propaganda by or against the deeply controversial president “AMLO”. Sanitation at higher levels is not widely practiced. Awareness is at the level where the most recent Covid-19 awareness document published for public information by Mexico’s National health ministry dates to January.

There is evidence of Covid-19 in Mexico, but it’s hazy because of the lack of awareness and testing. An example would be Mexicans who infected several people upon their return from Italy; one Canadian was infected and in turn infected several people when they returned home to Canada.

According to Reuters, Mexico has confirmed 26 cases of the coronavirus so far, with no reports of deaths.

However, Reuters goes on to report that the low number of cases in Mexico, which has a population of 130 million, “has raised questions about the government’s relatively hands-off approach to the epidemic.” 14 Mar 2020
Ironically, the Mexican government is considering implementing a ban on people entering Mexico from the USA.

On Friday, Mexico’s Deputy Health Minister Hugo Lopez-Gatell told reporters that the spread of the coronavirus coming from the U.S. is a concern and could result in action taken at the northern border to remedy it. - Rolling Stone, 14 Mar 2020

Personally, I can not at all recommend travel to México at the moment.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 15, 2020 at 11:18 am Reason: Update
Old Mar 15, 2020, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

I wrote a similar post yesterday and posted it here but deleted it this morning. Things are changing by the hour. My reference is San Miguel de Allende where we have a home. Up until a few days ago I was considered an alarmist to my friends in SMA as events were not canceled and it was business as usual. In the last 36 hours things have changed dramatically in the gringo population with cancellation of nearly all cultural events and gathering. The Mexicans were a bit slow to embrace the seriousness of all this...but as of last night all schools are closed effective Mar 20-Apr 20 and all government sponsored events canceled immediately. Part of my post yesterday was an encounter that a gringa had with a Mexican DR in town. She and her guests were sick and presented all the signs of a virus. Two of her guests had just returned from Italy. They summoned a DR who came to the house w/o any protection and proceeded to tell them the virus was a hoax.....he left after she kicked him. God help his next patient. Meanwhile her two guests returned to Canada and were tested for the virus ( waiting for results now).

I agree DO NOT travel to Mexico now. All my friends who have homes both in the States and in San Miguel are coming back to the States immediately.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by david55
I wrote a similar post yesterday and posted it here but deleted it this morning. Things are changing by the hour. My reference is San Miguel de Allende where we have a home. Up until a few days ago I was considered an alarmist to my friends in SMA as events were not canceled and it was business as usual. In the last 36 hours things have changed dramatically in the gringo population with cancellation of nearly all cultural events and gathering. The Mexicans were a bit slow to embrace the seriousness of all this...but as of last night all schools are closed effective Mar 20-Apr 20 and all government sponsored events canceled immediately. Part of my post yesterday was an encounter that a gringa had with a Mexican DR in town. She and her guests were sick and presented all the signs of a virus. Two of her guests had just returned from Italy. They summoned a DR who came to the house w/o any protection and proceeded to tell them the virus was a hoax.....he left after she kicked him. God help his next patient. Meanwhile her two guests returned to Canada and were tested for the virus ( waiting for results now).

I agree DO NOT travel to Mexico now. All my friends who have homes both in the States and in San Miguel are coming back to the States immediately.
i have to agree. My sister, relatives, friends are confused and concerned. Some are trying to do the right thing, but there’s little guidance, and others are doing what they might thing is right. That can mean huddling with extended family, the grandchildren and children coming to visit the grandparents, going to Mass today, etc.

Thanks for sharing.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 12:42 pm

It’s worse than I imagined. A friend from childhood who lives in CdMx says

Wonderful news, while in Mexico public hospitals have no idea of Coronavirus protocol and are placing those infected next to patients who are there for other ailments. 😳
Old Mar 16, 2020, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UR, MR
Question US-Mexico Tourist Travel Rules/Policy

I'm a US citizen going to school in Guadalajara, Mexico - today we were told all school are shut down until April 20th, or further notice.

My dad is 66 and alone in San Diego, just worried I wouldn't be able to get to him to help if something happened, which is why I'm asking.

I was planning to fly back on April 2nd to visit family in San Diego, but am wondering if it's very risky to wait that long to return to the US?

I would be flying Guadalajraa - Tijuana and then crossing the CBX into San Diego.

Would it be much wiser to fly out this week?

Or is it unlikely they will shut down the US-Mexico border (or domestic Mexican flights) and I could wait till April 2nd or so?

Last edited by sikorloa; Mar 16, 2020 at 4:50 pm
Old Mar 16, 2020, 4:34 pm

I suggest that you consider one other option as well: stay in Mexico and use this period for a nice holiday, catch up with some assignments and course, have a nice excursion around the region,...until further decisions are made by authorities making the unpredictable situation a bit more clear.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by maxjasper
I suggest that you consider one other option as well: stay in Mexico and use this period for a nice holiday, catch up with some assignments and course, have a nice excursion around the region,...until further decisions are made by authorities making the unpredictable situation a bit more clear.
True, I'm just worried about my dad though, he's alone in san diego and he's 66 - I would totally stay otherwise, but I'm just worried about that factor tbh - was just wondering how much time I have to come back. Was planning on April 2nd either way, but not sure how fast things are going to change here.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Mexico is in some denial about this virus. In the last 24 ours only have I seen any protocals and cancellations inacted.. The hospitals are ill equipped and in a town where we have a home ( San Miguel de Allende) ex-pats were warned a week ago that should they get out as soon as they can as Mexico will not be able to save their lives should they get sick. There is no " vacation" in Mexico at this time.... it is quickly shutting down ( thank god) to match what other countries are doing. This was sent to a forum I belong to....I cannot vouch for its accuracy.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by david55
Mexico is in some denial about this virus. In the last 24 ours only have I seen any protocals and cancellations inacted.. The hospitals are ill equipped and in a town where we have a home ( San Miguel de Allende) ex-pats were warned a week ago that should they get out as soon as they can as Mexico will not be able to save their lives should they get sick. There is no " vacation" in Mexico at this time.... it is quickly shutting down ( thank god) to match what other countries are doing. This was sent to a forum I belong to....I cannot vouch for its accuracy.
Oh wow thank you for that. So this Wednesday (March 18) might even be too late to come back??
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My suggestion, especially since your school is closed and there's no reason to stay in Mexico, would be to get yourself over the border ASAP, even if you land or cross no where near San Diego.

There are lots of reasons, but as someone said above, if you get sick, you do not want to be at the mercy of Mexico's medical system as a foreigner, even if you speak Mexican Spanish fluently.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:35 pm

Programs: United 1K
Best not to wait

Flew out of GDL to IAH Houston and back home to NY Friday afternoon; things were OK then, but I think waiting until April is a mistake....and I think the powers that be wd like nothing better than more restrictions on MX.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
I think the school reopening April 20 is extremely optimistic. The CDC recommend (yesterday) an 8-week period of closures in the US. Unless their healthcare is better than ours, it won't be back to normal any sooner in Mexico.

IMHO, your risk of getting the virus increases the longer you wait to travel. And it may become mandatory to isolate yourself for two weeks (away from family) once you get back to the US. Sooner is better.

Even if you get back right away, it might be prudent to hole up somewhere alone for a few days, and see if there's any reports of flare-ups in the area you were or traveled thru. Considering your dad is older, it would be really bad if you have it and pass it to him.

Good luck!
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My suggestion, especially since your school is closed and there's no reason to stay in Mexico, would be to get yourself over the border ASAP, even if you land or cross no where near San Diego.
seconded. OP, look at the capacity reductions and airline shutdowns (100% temporary (?) shutdown of operation) of global airlines:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32195299-post11.html
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by wh6cto
I think the school reopening April 20 is extremely optimistic. The CDC recommend (yesterday) an 8-week period of closures in the US. Unless their healthcare is better than ours, it won't be back to normal any sooner in Mexico.

IMHO, your risk of getting the virus increases the longer you wait to travel. And it may become mandatory to isolate yourself for two weeks (away from family) once you get back to the US. Sooner is better.

Even if you get back right away, it might be prudent to hole up somewhere alone for a few days, and see if there's any reports of flare-ups in the area you were or traveled thru. Considering your dad is older, it would be really bad if you have it and pass it to him.

Good luck!
Thanks for your reply - do you think waiting till Wednesday would be a bad idea? I can try to fly out tomorrow.

I would be staying with my dad so not sure how I would hole up for a few days, but maybe I can stay in a different room? Wouldn't have a place to hole up, every option would include staying at a relatives place, but thinking about how to do that - good point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.