Reload this Page >

Mexico 2021 Coronavirus / COVID-19 travel alerts, information, discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 23, 2020, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The land border between Mexico and the USA has been closed for land crossings into the USA. That means non-essential travel is not allowed into the USA across the land border. Exceptions exist for medical appointments, students going to school or back, persons employed in essential services on the other side of the border, etc.

NOTE: US Citizens and legal residents can not be denied entry into the USA, though there may be requirements for Covid-19 testing. Visitors attempting to cross the land border from Mexico are banned at this writing. Air travel is not affected at this time, other than the requirement for Covid-19 negative test result within three days (not 72 hours) of arrival, or proof of having had Covid-19 recently. Many hotels easily arrange for these, and there is a growing number of vendors including mobile testing that will come to your location.

Arriving and departing passengers are increasingly required to fill out an online form accessible here. Once the form is filled out (the date is fixed, so it can’t be backdated or filled out in advance, a form with a QR code and case number will be presented. This must be presented to health authorities upon arrival at airports and a new one on departure. It is suggested 1) you do this prior to airport arrival if you have no cellular service in México if you can, because passengers are reporting WiFi instability and slowness at airports, e.g. onboard if you have WiFi or on the ground prior to departure, or in your hotel prior to going to the airport, and 2) making a screen shot you can present.

Mexico operates on an “epidemic semaphore” system, which governs what is open, hours, occupancy, etc. which can be seen here (Castilian Spanish): https://coronavirus.gob.mx/semaforo/

html

Example of “epidemic semaphore” system for April 26 - May 9, 2021.

Link to US Embassy and Consulates in Mexico (US Department of State).

Link to US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) requirements for people arriving to the USA.

Some Mexican citizens formed a citizens vigilante group taking action to interfere with American traffic crossing into the state of Sonora; these appear to not be active in 2021.

link go State Department Global Level 4 Health Advisory (Do not travel to...)

link to COVID-19 Information for U.S. Citizens in Mexico, US Embassies & Consulates in Mexico

link to Status of U.S. Consular Operations in Mexico in Light of COVID-19

link to Mexico News Daily

Link to archive of 2020 thread and posts

Print Wikipost

Mexico 2021 Coronavirus / COVID-19 travel alerts, information, discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2021, 10:01 am

Anyone have any data points or stories about Cabo San Lucas? We are hearing everything shuts down at 10PM these days...is that true?
Old Jul 13, 2021, 2:43 pm

Programs: No airline/hotel status use, Chase UR, Amex MR, CapOne etc
^^^ I'm not in Los Cabos but covid or not, one thing to know about cabos is July - Sept is low low LOWWWWW season about 70% of biz shutdown even pre-covid, so with covid I imagine its a complete ghost town. The covid situation is probably not helping, the hospitals are reaching 70% capacity and rising (if you believe govt statistics anyways).

I'd head to Nayarit, Mazatlan or place with less covid instead
lax01 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by PointsPanda
^^^ I'm not in Los Cabos but covid or not, one thing to know about cabos is July - Sept is low low LOWWWWW season about 70% of biz shutdown even pre-covid, so with covid I imagine its a complete ghost town. The covid situation is probably not helping, the hospitals are reaching 70% capacity and rising (if you believe govt statistics anyways).

I'd head to Nayarit, Mazatlan or place with less covid instead
Everything is booked...and we leave on Thursday haha

Thanks for the information though!
Old Oct 4, 2021, 7:06 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Entering Mexico by Land

Just curious if any USC who DOESN'T live by the border has entered Mexico - let's say at at Tijuana or Ciudad Juarez - in the past two months.

Cheers,
BmB
Old Oct 4, 2021, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA, AS, Volaris, VivaAerobús
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Just curious if any USC who DOESN'T live by the border has entered Mexico - let's say at at Tijuana or Ciudad Juarez - in the past two months.

Cheers,
BmB
It doesn't matter if you live close to the border or not, US Citizens can enter Mexico since they generally don't ask where you live, even if you walk in where you are most likely to interact with immigration. Now if you're from a far away state and you drive in you might get looked at by SAT. I noticed a car with Idaho plates get sent to secondary, but I have seen plenty of cars with plates from Nevada and Arizona pass through El Chaparral in Tijuana.

I'm sure I may get a second glance (i.e asked for vehicle registration or search of car) if I enter Mexico through Juarez because they are accustomed to seeing cars with Texas or New Mexico plates.

I'm just wondering the premise of the question since Mexico (other than a few overzealous mayors and governors) hasn't done anything to prevent foreigners from entering during the past 20 months or so.

Last edited by i0wnj00; Oct 4, 2021 at 6:20 pm
Old Oct 4, 2021, 7:26 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by i0wnj00

I'm just wondering the premise of the question since Mexico (other than a few overzealous mayors and governors) hasn't done anything to prevent foreigners from entering during the past 20 months or so.
Can't agree there since this question is specific to land borders.

Travel by air hasn't been "officially" restricted, and I wouldn't want to take a chance trying to enter Mexico by land if there's a chance of denial of entry.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Who has ever been denied entry into Mexico? Last time I drove into TJ the Mexican BP just waved everyone through except for Mexican plates as they were looking to assess duty on TVs etc
Old Oct 5, 2021, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA, AS, Volaris, VivaAerobús
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Can't agree there since this question is specific to land borders.

Travel by air hasn't been "officially" restricted, and I wouldn't want to take a chance trying to enter Mexico by land if there's a chance of denial of entry.
You have a chance at denial of entry if you enter Mexico by land if you walk in without a passport (and required visa, depending on your country or personal situation) or other proof of rights to return to Mexico when the checkpoints are in operation. When staffed they are actually checking for these things.

i.e walking into Mexico with a driver's license, trusted travelers card, nothing at all etc..when the checkpoints are in operation, this will get you sent into secondary while they decide what to do with you (you might even get in, but they can always refuse your entry).
If the checkpoints aren't staffed, driving in or otherwise not normally checking inbound walk in's then there's zero chance of being denied entry because they don't even know you entered.

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Who has ever been denied entry into Mexico? Last time I drove into TJ the Mexican BP just waved everyone through except for Mexican plates as they were looking to assess duty on TVs etc
Mexico separates immigration and customs functions and gives them to different agencies unlike the United States where CBP does both. I have been stopped by these same people and all they wanted from me was car registration and/or a search of my car. There was a couple in a Mini Cooper who tried to get their U.S. Passports stamped by waving them from the passenger side and the guy shooed them away, I know this because I was right behind them while they were blocking an active lane of traffic.

The same people will direct you to immigration if you ask (I asked these people where I can get registered for my entry because I arrived at different land entry I normally don't use) but they as tax collectors won't do the job (immigration) that somebody else is supposed to do.

Last edited by i0wnj00; Oct 5, 2021 at 1:23 pm
Old Dec 9, 2021, 5:14 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, SPG-Marriott Bonvoy LT Plat
GUADALAJARA - Has anyone had a rapid COIVD test at GDL Airport (as noted on the Volaris website,) the day of their flight? Any comments or suggestions you can share? Travelling there in January and would like to confirm you can do this at the airport if you arrive early.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.