FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mexico 2021 Coronavirus / COVID-19 travel alerts, information, discussion
Old Apr 8, 2021, 10:41 pm
i0wnj00

Programs: UA, AS, Volaris, VivaAerobús
Originally Posted by leland
I've been seeing mixed reports on the land border for San Diego / Tijuana. Officially closed, but plenty of reports of people walking over. Any updates from FT welcome.
I have been driving back and forth between San Diego / Tijuana border throughout the pandemic. I would avoid walking in because I read somewhere that IMN is forcing walkers to get the 180 day permit for which you have to pay ~$30 when most people only need the free 1-7 day permit. PedEast is open, but I don't walk-in anymore.

It's only closed for Mexicans with Border Crossing cards and probably other foreigners. It has been somewhat empty down by San Ysidro and the Las Americas mall isn't as busy as it used to be. Only briefly did the CBP try to strangle traffic back to the USA to discourage non-essential crossings. Mexicans with H-2A visas can still cross into the USA to work.

You may see messages on the boards like when driving south down the 5
TRAVEL LIMITED
__ACROSS__
US/MEXICO BORDER

But it doesn't prevent US Citizens/LPR from visiting Mexico and returning back to the USA.
Mexico hasn't really closed down for US Citizens/LPRs.

Last edited by i0wnj00; Apr 8, 2021 at 11:06 pm