FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mexico (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico-480/)
-   -   MEX - Mexico City International Airport / 🛫AICM🛬 master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico/1438717-mex-mexico-city-international-airport-aicm-master-thread.html)

JDiver Oct 26, 2012 7:12 pm

It has been sufficiently long ago I've been through Benito Juarez / MEX I decline to answer. ;)

But... IMO it's almost always best to use ATM machines, as any exchange / cambio will give you lopsided exchange rates (even if they advertise "no commission" they may not offer reasonable rates - study the rates offered by various banks and exchanges at the airport before you buy pesos).

jon503 Oct 30, 2012 4:19 am

Question on MEX

Sorry for opening a new thread, but the UA forum is so big I couldn't find a pertinent preexisting one despite using the search function:

Anyway, I'm flying into MEX on UA on Tue, Nov 6, arriving at 4:36 PM and am trying to figure out which bus I can most likely catch to my onwards destination.

In your guys' experience, how long does it take to get groundside in MEX (I am a *A gold member, so factor that in for my expected luggage wait time with one checked bag)? Also, is it correct that UA flights from IAH arrive in T1? Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

c2h Oct 30, 2012 4:31 am

Yes all UA flights in MEX arrive in T1 and there is the metro, metrobus and intercity buses tht depart from T1. It's fairly easy.

Passing through immigration and baggage is a different story all together. From experience arriving at about 4:30-ish isn't really that bad but anything betwee 5-8pm is hell in T1 as the pax from Europe arrive atthe same time.

Being *Gold I've always gotten my bags first but the problem in MEX is the bag scanning at exit. Depending on the crowd that could take some time.

jon503 Oct 30, 2012 4:39 am

Thanks for the info. I've currently planned an hour to get to the bus terminal and catch a bus to Queretaro, is that too optimistic?

Edit: just to clarify, that's the bus terminal in T1, lest someone get the idea that I'm trying to head to Central within an hour or something.

c2h Oct 30, 2012 5:37 am

One hour from landing or deplaning? It's cutting it close but still doable depending on your luck. But T1 itself isn't that huge. I'd say 10 minutes from one end to the other, brisk walking.

Bags usually go through sniffer dogs prior being loaded on the belt.

Deltahater Oct 30, 2012 6:44 am

are you suggesting to use a city bus in Mexico City from the airport?? Unless you are connected to the cartels, you are absolutely insane to even attempt this.
You will be targeted before you even board the bus.

Spend a few bucks and at least take a taxi from the airport to the bus terminal, assuming you are going somewhere within Mexico by long distance bus

jon503 Oct 30, 2012 6:52 am

Nono, I mean taking the long distance bus (Primera Plus), which I'm informed departs directly from T1. Last time I took one of those buses 3 years ago they were totally fine and even had armed guards and a metal detector before you board.

bmvaughn Oct 30, 2012 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Deltahater (Post 19591246)
are you suggesting to use a city bus in Mexico City from the airport?? Unless you are connected to the cartels, you are absolutely insane to even attempt this.

Spend a few bucks and at least take a taxi from the airport to the bus terminal, assuming you are going somewhere within Mexico by long distance bus

Oh come on, stop being overdramatic. I take city buses and long-distance buses in MEX all the time, and I'm about as white Irish as one can be. There are plenty of cities in America that are less safe than MEX.

OP, you'll be fine provided you don't check any luggage and your flight is on time.

JDiver Oct 30, 2012 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by jon503 (Post 19587669)
Hope this is the right thread to ask: I'm flying into MEX on Tue, Nov 6, arriving at 4:36 PM and am trying to figure out which bus I can most likely catch towards my onwards destination.

In your guys' experience, how long does it take to get groundside in MEX (I am a *A gold member, so factor that in for my expected luggage wait time with one checked bag)?

Er, what IS your destination? The sticky bus thread has some bus information (including a link to the AICM MEX website and schedule). Buses from MEX go to:
Córdoba, Ver.
Cuernavaca, Mor.
Orizaba, Ver.
Pachuca, Hgo.
Puebla, Pue.
Querétaro, Qro.
San Juan del Rio, Qro.
Toluca, Estado de Méx.
and it appears the earliest last departure may be about 2100 / 9:00 PM.

Immigration and customs (Migración y Aduana) can take a good hour, or more on occasion, to get landside. It depends on how long both queues are, how long a walk you have and how slow they are about baggage delivery. Oh, and if you punch the light button and it turns red, figure yet some more time compared with if it turns green.

hoble Oct 30, 2012 4:22 pm

One hr should be enough at that time. Madness comes after 6pm when all european and some US flights get together at inmigration. Getting your luggage is usually a 10-15 min wait not more.

uni3052 Oct 30, 2012 8:48 pm

Question on MEX

I fly often to mEX for business. Yes, one hour should be enough if the immigration/customs lines are not too big. And buses out of T1 are also safe. Besides Primera Plus you can also choose ADO or ETN. I like the latter for their "business class only" configuration. Its pretty cool. The bus terminal is upstairs T1. A few minutes walk from baggage claim.

Deltahater Oct 30, 2012 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by jon503 (Post 19591269)
Nono, I mean taking the long distance bus (Primera Plus), which I'm informed departs directly from T1. Last time I took one of those buses 3 years ago they were totally fine and even had armed guards and a metal detector before you board.

where are you going?

hoble Oct 31, 2012 4:53 pm

1)I need to change dollars.
Will this be readily available in both Domestic and International terminals?
Yes, several exchange houses are located while you exit customs at the lower level, terrible rates though, strongly recommen atm's (located same level)
2)I assume I arrive into the International Terminal and go thru customs and then will end up in the Domestic? I will be checking 3 bags,
what is the process for rechecking luggage thru customs and immigration?
You will be arriving at T2, which is primarily aeromexico's and sky team. Same terminal for intl and domestic, so its fairly easy, after exiting customs go up one floor, check your gate and go thru security. Luggage should be tag and transfer to queretaro, but ask at customs just to be sure.
3)The First Class lounge (am upgraded) in the International terminal is very very nice, but
I will only have access to the lounge in the domestic terminal, correct? Is food served??
Same thing as 2), its the same lounge for intl and domestic aeromexico. Very decent snacks and bev, located first floor after security.
4)My layover is 5 hours, mid-day.
If no food in the lounge, what restaurants do you recommend or other things to do?
Several restaurants in T2, a food court before security and some after. many choices
5) Lost my sim card, need to purchase another:
will this be available in the Domestic terminal
There is a telcel shop lower level (same as exchange, atm's) you should be able to get it there.

JDiver Oct 31, 2012 10:06 pm

The OP is inquiring about taking a first class bus from the airport to a city, of which several are served from MEX. These work quite well, and I have been taking them for years to Puebla or Cuernavaca, for instance.

There's a significant difference between taking a bus trip through Tamps. and getting caught up in a (fortunately rare) Gulf Cartel vs. Zetas vs. taking a first class bus from the airport to Queretaro.

Originally Posted by Deltahater (Post 19591246)

JDiver Oct 31, 2012 10:18 pm

jon503, by starting a new thread and asking here, you confused things a bit, so I have taken the liberty of merging everything there. If you read upthread, I have posted a link to the bus company schedules.

There are busses departing every forty minutes for Queretaro through 8:20 pm /2020, and every fifty minutes thereafter until 10:50 pm / 2250, so you won't have to wait too long regardless.

Have a nice trip / ¡buen viaje!