FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mexico (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico-480/)
-   -   MEX - Mexico City International Airport / 🛫AICM🛬 master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico/1438717-mex-mexico-city-international-airport-aicm-master-thread.html)

cesco.g May 13, 2008 1:44 pm

Reporting back: Had a change in schedule resulting in a 4 hrs layover. Immigration at around 2h00 p.m. was fairly quick, only about 5 mins wait. I guess it would have taken 15 - 20 mins total from arrival gate back up to check-in counters. In this case a 1 hrs layover (clear immigration, recheck-in, security and back to the gate) would have been doable.

Still wondering, if there is no way to get boarding passes airside.

JDiver May 25, 2008 9:27 am

There are, IMO, too many threads on this issue - but MEX is changing its procedures now, with two terminals, as reported in this thread in the American AAdvantage Forum. The gates have no printing facilities for boarding passes, so there's no joy there.

Immigration / Migración is usually relatively fast and uncomplicated; waiting for bags can take some time and sometimes you may be given the incorrect carousel number - then Customs / Aduana is generally brief, with the "traffic signal roulette." But connecting can be a true hassle, especially if it involves transferring terminals.

Braniff Jun 19, 2008 11:53 am

Mexico City: Airport-downtown transporation

I will be arriving in the evening and am wondering what the best (safest) transport options are to downtown. I'm thinking of having my hotel pick me up. Could someone comment on the taxi service and how it works - is it organized or do you have to select from "touts." Appreciate all reassuring comments ! Thanks.

bkramt1 Jun 19, 2008 12:26 pm

You exit the baggage/customs area and head to ground transportation (I think this was forward and then to the right) - Look for Door # 10 and there is a counter to pre-pay your fare. Hand your ticket to the usher guy and hop into a cab; done..... now the ride on the other hand, can take 20 minutes or so OR up to an hour or more depending on traffic/weather/time of day.

plangis Jun 19, 2008 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Braniff (Post 9906041)
I will be arriving in the evening and am wondering what the best (safest) transport options are to downtown. I'm thinking of having my hotel pick me up. Could someone comment on the taxi service and how it works - is it organized or do you have to select from "touts." Appreciate all reassuring comments ! Thanks.

It is very well organized and modern. Forget about most things you've heard before regarding Mexico City... Prepaid taxi fare is around 140 pesos to Downtown using the airport's authorized taxis

MileageAddict Jun 19, 2008 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by plangis (Post 9906272)
It is very well organized and modern. Forget about most things you've heard before regarding Mexico City... Prepaid taxi fare is around 140 pesos to Downtown using the airport's authorized taxis

250 pesos (fixed rate paid in advance) if heading out to the western suburbs-Polanco.

Adding to the previous poster comments, the airport is super-modern, the taxi stands that sell the prepaid tickets are legitimate and the drive will be safe.

Braniff Jun 20, 2008 1:03 am

Thank you all very much.

londinense Jun 20, 2008 7:52 am

Go to the Sitio 300 stand. Their taxis are less expensive and they are less likely to try to sell you a coupon for the, larger, limousines.

MGR Jun 22, 2008 6:20 pm

Hi. The previous posters are correct. I travel to Mexico City every 1 to 2 months (and have for many years). The airport taxis are very safe. I am a woman and usually arrive alone and have had no problems or fears.

You do pre-pay outside the terminal right outside Door 10 but that applies only to the old terminal (now terminal 1). I'm sure the new terminal (terminal 2) also has the pre-paid airport taxis, but I have not arrived there yet. Your terminal depends on your airline (DL, AM, CO are in T2) but AA is in 1. I can't recall other airlines.

By the way, the only time I got an airport transfer arranged by my hotel (always the Four Seasons), I felt like I was ripped off. The driver met me at arrivals, but then I had to walk with him all the way into the parking garage for him to get the car. There is no easy place outside of the parking garage for drivers to temporarily park their cars. Yes it was a nicer car but really makes no difference. And I am someone that usually pays for hotel airport transfer in other countries.

cesco.g Jul 8, 2008 5:16 pm

Thanks for the update. Which terminal are UA, CO, AS now?

Bob'sYourUncle Jul 9, 2008 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g (Post 10002827)
Thanks for the update. Which terminal are UA, CO, AS now?

UA - T1
CO - T2
AS - T1

genesmasher Jul 17, 2008 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by horse glasses (Post 8585469)
Me too. I don't think I waited at all, actually.

I love Mexico City, but I think I got lung cancer just from sitting in that airport for a few hours. :eek:

Oh boy, do I second that. Must be one of the most polluted places on Earth...

AAJetMan Jul 18, 2008 6:27 am

Originally Posted by horse glasses (Post 8585469)
Me too. I don't think I waited at all, actually.

I love Mexico City, but I think I got lung cancer just from sitting in that airport for a few hours. :eek:

I usually try to get to MEX a few hours before my departure...to get some walking in and...
...earlier this month I've discovered the Mexicana lounge, 4th floor, just above AA's Admiral's Club. What a great workout room -- free weights, weight machines, various treadmills, etc. The facility also offers friendly staff, snacks and drinks, shower, changing rooms, lots of Internet computers and great views of the runway.

Only $35US for a day pass, although a very reliable source informed me that "under a special arrangement, (AA) EXPs can use the MX lounge at MEX when traveling on AA or MX on the same day", although additional access may become available once MX joins OneWorld.

JDiver Nov 7, 2009 10:37 pm

MEX - Mexico City International Airport / AICM master thread

MEX / MMXX - Mexico City International Airport - Aeropuerto Internacional Benito Juárez

Address: Aeropuerto Internacional Benito Juárez
Av. Capitán Carlos León S/N
Col Peñón de los Baños
Delegacion Venustiano Carranza, DF
CP 15620, México

J.Edward Jul 21, 2010 8:05 pm

Taxis still safe in MEX?

I've got a reservation at the St. Regis and am wondering if this will work or if I should just go through the hotel for a car service.

Thanks in advance!