FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mexico (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico-480/)
-   -   MEX - Mexico City International Airport / 🛫AICM🛬 master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico/1438717-mex-mexico-city-international-airport-aicm-master-thread.html)

JDiver Jun 1, 2007 3:24 pm

MEX - Mexico City International Airport / 🛫AICM🛬 master thread

MEX / MMXX - Mexico City International Airport - Aeropuerto Internacional Benito Juárez

Address: Aeropuerto Internacional Benito Juárez
Av. Capitán Carlos León S/N
Col Peñón de los Baños
Delegacion Venustiano Carranza, DF
CP 15620, México

Phone: (+52 55) 2482-2424 and 2482-2400

Website: http://www.aicm.com.mx/home_en.php (English language version)

http://www.oneworld.com/documents/10...exico_1024.gif
AICM / Mexico City International Airport

PLEASE CLICK ABOVE ON Click here to display Full Wiki to read pr update Wiki on MEX / MMXX.

TerryK Oct 16, 2007 8:47 am

Transit in MEX

I am looking at a complicated mileage run which involves transiting MEX. I will be flying LAX-MEX-JFK with about 2 1/2 hours at MEX. Will this be an easy transit? :confused: Can I stay airside? :confused:

chtiet Oct 16, 2007 9:18 am

Originally Posted by TerryK (Post 8567875)
I am looking at a complicated mileage run which involves transiting MEX. I will be flying LAX-MEX-JFK with about 2 1/2 hours at MEX. Will this be an easy transit? :confused: Can I stay airside? :confused:

Shouldn't be a problem if you have your connecting boarding pass. If so, it's as simple as stepping off the plane to get onto the next one. No need for immigration, customs, etc.

Even if you don't have a boarding pass, completing the formalities, going to the check-in counters, and re-clearing security is not very difficult, and should take an hour at most if the airport is busy, otherwise less.

Finding the lounges can be a bit of a challenge if you're unfamiliar with the airport, since they're on different floors, and it's a bit convoluted & a long-ish walk to get there from where US flights typically arrive (gates 29-36). But everything is airside. (There's also a new American Express Centurion Lounge right in the gate 29-36 area, if you're a Platinum or Centurion card holder).

TerryK Oct 17, 2007 6:21 am

Thanks, chtiet.^

So, there is no transit desk airside. I must clear immigration unless I could get my boarding pass in advance?:confused:

SmilingBoy Oct 17, 2007 6:23 am

I only went to MEX once and waited about 1 1/2 hours in line for immigration. So not representative, but there can be long waits at immigration.

SmilingBoy.

chtiet Oct 17, 2007 11:10 am

Originally Posted by TerryK (Post 8573446)
Thanks, chtiet.^

So, there is no transit desk airside. I must clear immigration unless I could get my boarding pass in advance?:confused:

Well, AM and MX have "transfer desks" at around gate 19, so my guess is if you're on Skyteam, then AM should be able to help. I wouldn't think that MX can do a whole lot if you're not on them.

However, apparently things have changed, and if you read part of this trip report involving a recent connection in MEX http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...=1#post8574975, then it seems that they did make the person clear immigration in a sort of haphazard way...

chtiet Oct 17, 2007 11:12 am

Originally Posted by SmilingBoy (Post 8573449)
I only went to MEX once and waited about 1 1/2 hours in line for immigration. So not representative, but there can be long waits at immigration.

SmilingBoy.

Interesting - I have only come from North America in the recent past (not in the evening, when all the widebodies from Europe coincide), and it has never been more than a few minutes' wait.

SmilingBoy Oct 17, 2007 11:43 am

Originally Posted by chtiet (Post 8575047)
Interesting - I have only come from North America in the recent past (not in the evening, when all the widebodies from Europe coincide), and it has never been more than a few minutes' wait.

That was from ORD actually, and I think we arrived quite late in the evening and had to wait until even later in the evening/night...

SmilingBoy.

TerryK Oct 18, 2007 12:07 am

Originally Posted by chtiet (Post 8575026)
.......However, apparently things have changed, and if you read part of this trip report involving a recent connection in MEX http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...=1#post8574975, then it seems that they did make the person clear immigration in a sort of haphazard way...

Bummer!:mad:

horse glasses Oct 19, 2007 1:39 am

Originally Posted by chtiet (Post 8575047)

Me too. I don't think I waited at all, actually.

I love Mexico City, but I think I got lung cancer just from sitting in that airport for a few hours. :eek:

work2fly Mar 8, 2008 8:54 am

Does anyone have certain information about international transit formalities in MEX?

I have 50 minutes between 2 UA flights. I may not be able to obtain my boarding pass prior to the connecting flight.

I'm planning to go straight from my arrival gate to my departing gate to get my boarding pass - and it sounds like I may or may not need to then go to immigration for a departure form?:confused:

cesco.g Apr 23, 2008 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by work2fly (Post 9377492)
Does anyone have certain information about international transit formalities in MEX?

I have 50 minutes between 2 UA flights. I may not be able to obtain my boarding pass prior to the connecting flight.

I'm planning to go straight from my arrival gate to my departing gate to get my boarding pass - and it sounds like I may or may not need to then go to immigration for a departure form?:confused:

I am looking at the same szenario. Coming in on UA and leaving on UA is there a way to get the BPs at the UA gate - or better yet is there a way to get the BP at your departing U.S. gateway from UA?

Leemajors Apr 27, 2008 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g (Post 9622848)
I am looking at the same szenario. Coming in on UA and leaving on UA is there a way to get the BPs at the UA gate - or better yet is there a way to get the BP at your departing U.S. gateway from UA?

not a big deal - immigration always fairly quick there

cesco.g Apr 28, 2008 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Leemajors (Post 9642234)
not a big deal - immigration always fairly quick there

Just to understand you correctly: Did you manage a 58 minute turnaround? Clearing customs and immigration, rechecking with UA at dept level, clearing immigration & scruity and getting back on the plane, all included?
Incidentially the time of the day would be 17h30 -18h00.

retsef May 4, 2008 11:20 am

I'm doing the same scenario. Is it possible to arrive on a UA flight and then immediately turn around in one hour to catch the departing UA flight? Is MEX like the Asian airports where you can stay in the transit area without clearing Immigration/Customs?