FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mexico (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico-480/)
-   -   MEX - Mexico City International Airport / 🛫AICM🛬 master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico/1438717-mex-mexico-city-international-airport-aicm-master-thread.html)

londinense Oct 27, 2010 7:20 pm

The last time I passed through T2, Sitio 300 were not one of the companies offering service. But according to their website they are now.
Gomexico's advice is good. However, in my experience, the newer companies that have now broken what was essentially a monopoly by Sitio 300 until about a year ago are all just as good.
There is a link on the TA Mexico City page to the official pricing for all airport taxis. They all charge the same.

itsme110 Oct 27, 2010 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by gomexico (Post 15025883)
I've been using that airport service for about 20 years now and never has one of the taxi companies - authorized transportation - try to steer me to a van. Never. I once overpaid for the trip at the counter and found myself standing at a van when the starter collected my ticket and when I found I'd bought the wrong ticket I went back to exchange it.

The people selling the van tickets are different than the people selling the "sedan" tickets and they're sometimes located right next to one another. I think the people who think they're being taken advantage of are in that positon either (almost always) because they don't speak Spanish and can't say what they need to say, or they've approached the wrong counter.

The vans aren't a rip-off to travel in, though - and compared to taxi fares in north of the border big cities, they're economical to use. They're good vehicles and spacious and I have intentionally rented one a couple of times over the years because there were 4 or 5 of us traveling as a group and it was more economical/comfortable to travel that way.

I suppose there's been one of the clerks who might be dishonest and take advantage of a traveler there, with the taxi services, but I do think those instances are few and far between.

People need to pay attention and that's why I almost always suggest people say they want a "sedan."

My wife was there three weeks ago, and we were both there last week, and on both occasions they tried to upsell us for double the price. I in no way am saying this is dishonest, as they are offering a bigger better vehicle. Upselling is common in any country, and honesty isnīt a factor.
And.......Spanish is not not a problem. My wife is Mexican, and my Spanish is passable.

lutzboy Nov 13, 2010 6:01 pm

Hi do the cab companies take credit cards? ie Amex?

kjaggi Dec 6, 2010 3:20 pm

Perfect instructions and worked great for me.

lutzboy Dec 7, 2010 12:59 pm

thanks

Originally Posted by gomexico (Post 15016141)
None of the "authorized" and regulated taxi companies providing service from the airport have staff or salespersons walking around the terminal. Each of the two or three companies have counter space on the arrivals level and it's from there you'll pre-pay for your ride to your hotel.

My favorite taxi company is "Sitio 300" and the counter is located next to the Alamo Rent-A-Car counter to your left as you exit the Customs area. If you don't see it ask one of the baggage porters standing in that area where the counter is. I trust the baggage porters in that airport and have never found them to be touts for anyone nor have they steered me wrongly. Though I usually handle my own luggage without assistance, I do sometimes use the porters.

When you get to the taxi counter you'll be asked your destination. Taxi fares for trips from the airport are regulated and determined by distance traveled. There'll be a large map with circles on it - designating zones. Tell the clerk you want a "sedan" (lest you be sold a ticket for the larger Chevy Suburban type vehicle, at double the cost). You will be given a ticket with the price stamped on it and then pay the clerk. Follow the signs to the taxi staging area or seek the assistance of a porter (and if you have just a couple of bags a MX$10-20 (Peso) tip will suffice).

When you get to the taxi staging area (there are two or three) someone will look at your ticket and you tell the person where you're going. Enough English is spoken that there'll be no miscommunication. After your luggage is placed into the trunk of the sedan (4-door car) you can get into the front or back seat. In Mexico it's commonplace for passengers to ride in the front. The driver will take your ticket, split it in two halves and give you your portion as a receipt.

These drivers are professional and safe to be with.

Do not be tempted by the occassional tout who wanders the terminal offering a ride in a rogue taxi parked along airport property (a block away) just because the fare will be a couple of US$ less. Be smart. Play safe.

Have a great visit!

Great instructions - thanks gomexico

Rad456 Feb 19, 2011 10:50 am

Is taxi the only way to get to downtown\Central?

Any shuttles, collectivos, or possibly subway?

gomexico Feb 19, 2011 11:03 am

There's a subway station ajdacent to Terminal 1. The walk from where you'll exit the International Customs area is probably 1/2 mile - maybe slightly less. If you have just one small bag the subway's not a bad choice, but it can be very congested and confusing if you haven't used it before and you don't understand Spanish. You'll have to change subway lines/stations along the way and a long walk can be involved when doing that. The taxi's are so inexpensive that traveling that way is really best overall. There are no busses, collectivos and you really shouldn't be wandering the neighborhood around the airport if you don't know where you're going because robberies of tourists doing that aren't uncommon. Doing that after dark would be stupid.

Rad456 Feb 19, 2011 12:12 pm

Thanks.

I have seen a few places mentioning Omextur http://www.omextur.com.mx/ for a shuttle service from the Airport.

Anyone know anything further on them?

Otherwise, looks like taxi is the best bet

flyr16 Mar 1, 2011 6:18 am

Originally Posted by gomexico (Post 15016141)
None of the "authorized" and regulated taxi companies providing service from the airport have staff or salespersons walking around the terminal. Each of the two or three companies have counter space on the arrivals level and it's from there you'll pre-pay for your ride to your hotel.

My favorite taxi company is "Sitio 300" and the counter is located next to the Alamo Rent-A-Car counter to your left as you exit the Customs area. If you don't see it ask one of the baggage porters standing in that area where the counter is. I trust the baggage porters in that airport and have never found them to be touts for anyone nor have they steered me wrongly. Though I usually handle my own luggage without assistance, I do sometimes use the porters.

When you get to the taxi counter you'll be asked your destination. Taxi fares for trips from the airport are regulated and determined by distance traveled. There'll be a large map with circles on it - designating zones. Tell the clerk you want a "sedan" (lest you be sold a ticket for the larger Chevy Suburban type vehicle, at double the cost). You will be given a ticket with the price stamped on it and then pay the clerk. Follow the signs to the taxi staging area or seek the assistance of a porter (and if you have just a couple of bags a MX$10-20 (Peso) tip will suffice).

When you get to the taxi staging area (there are two or three) someone will look at your ticket and you tell the person where you're going. Enough English is spoken that there'll be no miscommunication. After your luggage is placed into the trunk of the sedan (4-door car) you can get into the front or back seat. In Mexico it's commonplace for passengers to ride in the front. The driver will take your ticket, split it in two halves and give you your portion as a receipt.

These drivers are professional and safe to be with.

Do not be tempted by the occassional tout who wanders the terminal offering a ride in a rogue taxi parked along airport property (a block away) just because the fare will be a couple of US$ less. Be smart. Play safe.

Have a great visit!

Just wanted to say thank you for those perfect instructions, above. We recently returned from MEX and took a Sito 300 taxi to downtown, Reforma. We arrived at Terminal 2, on a domestic Aeromexico flight. The Sitio 300 kiosk is actually outside, a bit hidden, but their taxis are the most prevalent. On the way outside you will pass many competing kiosks, all trying to hail you down. The taxi downtown was 250 pesos, I believe. We were four people with some bags. We were placed in a mini van, no extra charge. Smooth and easy. Gracias.

PS
traffic in MEX really can be horrendous.

Rad456 Apr 18, 2011 1:13 pm

Thanks....Sitio 300 was a great recommendation.

On the way back, I stayed in Puebla the night prior to my flight. Short taxi (40 peso) ride from Zocalo to 4 pointe Bus Station and a roughly 2 hour bus ride to the terminal at MEX is was flying out of. Just under 200 pesos for the bus from Puebla to the airport

NC_Girl Jun 9, 2011 1:40 pm

MEX- Taxi to Downtown

Never flown into MEX before. Asking this a bit late in the game but just booked yesterday... LOL

Arrive about 1pm this Saturday. (Delta). What can I expect time wise with immigration and customs? Are taxis prepaid in the airport? Staying at HI Zocalo. How much will a taxi run me and at this time of day on Saturday how long will it take? My return is at 1:30 Sunday, how early should I leave the hotel to get back to the airport?

gomexico Jun 9, 2011 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by NC_Girl (Post 16532876)
Never flown into MEX before. Asking this a bit late in the game but just booked yesterday... LOL

Arrive about 1pm this Saturday. (Delta). What can I expect time wise with immigration and customs? Are taxis prepaid in the airport? Staying at HI Zocalo. How much will a taxi run me and at this time of day on Saturday how long will it take? My return is at 1:30 Sunday, how early should I leave the hotel to get back to the airport?

At that time of the day, I think it's safe to assume that you will complete the trip from the door of your arriving aircraft to the exit door of Customs in about 45-minutes.

Only use the "authorized" taxi's at the airport. Do not be tempted by a tout to follow him to an off-property location nearby for a "cheaper" ride to your hotel. Taxi fares are relatively inexpensive in Mexico City and, from the airport, are pre-paid and determined by distance traveled. Travel time should be about 20-minutes - unless there's an unforseen traffic accident or street protest in the Zocalo area - near your hotel.

For the return trip to the airport on Sunday, you can either ask your hotel concierge to arrange for a secure taxi or telephone the authorized taxi company you use coming from the airport - which will return to get you for a cost less than you paid to get to the hotel. You might also want to ask the taxi driver as you come from the airport because he or another driver, a friend, might be interested iin the fare.

Travel time should also be in the 20-minute range. The airport is inside the city not all that far from the city-center. I find it best to be back at the airport 2-hours before my departure. So, if you did this it would mean you leave the hotel at approx. 11:00-11:15 a.m.

david55 Dec 22, 2011 5:27 am

What kind of wait have you experienced at MEX immigration?

Arrived yesterday in Mexico City via AS #244..... just a handful of people in the immigration line a head if us. We were in the front of the plane and got into line quickly. There were 2 immigration agents working....one for foreigners...one for nationals.....it took us an hour to get through with maybe 30 people ahead of us. Our friends....in the back of the plane took another hour and 15 minutes ( 2 hours and 15 minutes total) to get through. Meanwhile as additional passengers piled in the line snaked out of the hall...

Is this the norm for Mexico City Airport immigration?

Sweet Willie Dec 22, 2011 7:03 am

existing thread discussing immigration: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexic...1hr-20min.html

gomexico Dec 27, 2011 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by david4455 (Post 17673454)
Arrived yesterday in Mexico City via AS #244..... just a handful of people in the immigration line a head if us. We were in the front of the plane and got into line quickly. There were 2 immigration agents working....one for foreigners...one for nationals.....it took us an hour to get through with maybe 30 people ahead of us. Our friends....in the back of the plane took another hour and 15 minutes ( 2 hours and 15 minutes total) to get through. Meanwhile as additional passengers piled in the line snaked out of the hall...

Is this the norm for Mexico City Airport immigration?

What you report seems odd, to me. I get into the airport in Mexico City several times per year on average and rarely wait more than 20 minutes in line. Oftentimes just 5 minutes. If only a "handful" of people were in line in front of you I'd blame them for some sort of delay, not INM agents.