Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 9, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rny321
PATHWAYS TO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE STATUS:

1. Legacy Marriott Lifetime Platinum - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 2MM Marriott Rewards points earned - not available after 1/1/2019
2. New Combined Program - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 10 years combined/total as Platinum members previously under MR and/or SPG as of 12/31/2018 - not available after 1/1/2019

From members.marriott.com:

NOTE: Members that reach 750 nights and 10 years at Platinum by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status (notified January 2019).

FAQ from members.marriott.com

Q: CAN I EARN LIFETIME STATUS UNDER THE LEGACY REQUIREMENTS (ACTIVE PRIOR TO AUGUST 2018) FOR LIFETIME ELITE STATUS IN MARRIOTT REWARDS, RITZ-CARLTON REWARDS OR SPG? IF SO, WHEN WILL I BE NOTIFIED OF MY LIFETIME ELITE STATUS?

A: Yes, in addition to earning based on the new criteria, members can earn Lifetime Elite Status under the legacy requirements through the end of 2018. If Lifetime status is achieved by legacy requirements, between August and December 31, 2018 you will receive notice of your updated Lifetime Elite status in January 2019. If Lifetime status is achieved based on the new criteria, you will be notified both in August 2018 as well as any time it is achieved through the end of the year.

Example: An SPG member has 300 Lifetime nights, 4 years of Gold Elite Status, and 1 year of Platinum Elite Status after August, 2018. Under the SPG legacy Lifetime requirements, this member would earn Lifetime Gold Elite status which would reflect in their account January 2019.

Q: IF I WILL NOT BE GRANDFATHERED INTO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE, WILL I HAVE THE ABILITY TO EARN INTO THIS LEVEL IN 2018?

A: Yes, members can earn Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite in 2018 if they achieve 750 Lifetime nights and 10 years at Platinum Elite status. This requirement is only for 2018 and will not be continued in future years. Members will receive notice of this Lifetime achievement in January 2019.
Print Wikipost

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2018, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Swede
I know this should be easy, but as previous posters have said, the language isn't crystal clear. It doesn't clearly specify that both nights and years can be combined between the programs - or am I missing something?

So, if someone has a combined tally of 750+ nights and 10+ years of Platinum - in any combination between SPG and MR (regardless of how earned) -- on or before 12/31/2018, this individual would become LTPP. Has that been confirmed?
It has been confirmed yes. Real Plat years though, not magical MR Gold years converting to Plat for LT purposes in the new program and somehow retroactively getting counted in the old one .
Old May 25, 2018, 5:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I know this should be easy, but as previous posters have said, the language isn't crystal clear. It doesn't clearly specify that both nights and years can be combined between the programs - or am I missing something?

So, if someone has a combined tally of 750+ nights and 10+ years of Platinum - in any combination between SPG and MR (regardless of how earned) -- on or before 12/31/2018, this individual would become LTPP. Has that been confirmed?
Currently I'm lifetime gold with MR [just under 1000 nites, 1.8M points, 12 years MR plat which was last achieved in 2012 at least according to the CSR] - I'm not going to get the 200K MR points by 12/31/2018 - I really don't do the mfg spend game so that method of getting LTPP is out.

For SPG, I have 240 lifetime nights and am currently gold I guess due to the MR Gold affiliation. I also have 9 years LT Plat credit according to the CSR the other day.

From my understanding of the merging of the two programs, I will have more than over 1200 nights and a combined 19 years at plat status in the two programs which will qualify me for LTPP

My 1st question is > is there any good reason for me to try to get that 10th year of SPG plat as it applies to LTPP status?

I can't think of one, but you guys know way more than I do.

My 2nd question is > Have any of you had bad information come from either a SPG or MR CSR when you asked them how many plat elite years you are being credited? I ask because while I'm confident in the SPG answer, the MR lady started out with five years Plat and when I questioned that she worked her way up to 12 years LOL which sounded more accurate but I really don't have faith in her number. I will call back today to get verification. However I'm curious if anyone else has this kind of question.
Old May 25, 2018, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
For SPG, I have 240 lifetime nights and am currently gold I guess due to the MR Gold affiliation. I also have 9 years LT Plat credit according to the CSR the other day.
Were you literally doing ~27 one night stays annually for 9 years w/SPG?
Plumber likes this.
Old May 25, 2018, 6:40 am

My 2nd question is > Have any of you had bad information come from either a SPG or MR CSR when you asked them how many plat elite years you are being credited? I ask because while I'm confident in the SPG answer, the MR lady started out with five years Plat and when I questioned that she worked her way up to 12 years LOL which sounded more accurate but I really don't have faith in her number. I will call back today to get verification. However I'm curious if anyone else has this kind of question.
Yes. In three calls to MR, I've been given 3 different answers (and I think I was given a wrong answer by SPG). It sounds like you have a lot of plat years to spare though.
Old May 25, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Yes, but the silly additional opinion needlessly expressed below is wrong.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
It has been confirmed yes. Real Plat years though, not magical MR Gold years converting to Plat for LT purposes in the new program and somehow retroactively getting counted in the old one .
From the Wiki, Question B10
Do years of Gold in the legacy MR program count as a year of Platinum in the calculation for LTPP?
Yes, previous years in MR as a Gold Elite member will count as years as Platinum Elite in the new program. <added by Starwood Lurker 23May18>
As we all know, there both MR Gold and SPG Plat required 50 nights. So that both programs would have parity, any level that required 50 nights for qualification will count towards LTPP. There is a poster who, for some reason, does not like this and wants SPG to be treated differently, but the company disagrees with that. It's time to cut it out and realize that all nights are equal whether the nights come from MR or SPG. There's nothing "magical" about looking at the number of nights to qualify instead of the color metal used for the name. Again, the silly statement in the second quote above is 100% wrong.
Old May 25, 2018, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Yes, but the silly additional opinion needlessly expressed below is wrong.

From the Wiki, Question B10

As we all know, there both MR Gold and SPG Plat required 50 nights. So that both programs would have parity, any level that required 50 nights for qualification will count towards LTPP. There is a poster who, for some reason, does not like this and wants SPG to be treated differently, but the company disagrees with that. It's time to cut it out and realize that all nights are equal whether the nights come from MR or SPG. There's nothing "magical" about looking at the number of nights to qualify instead of the color metal used for the name. Again, the silly statement in the second quote above is 100% wrong.
Good lord, passive aggressive much? This has absolutely nothing to do with SPG vs. MR, there is zero reason for you to go there, not sure why you have to turn every argument into a discussion of the "quality" of nights.

Interesting that the Lurker is advising anyone going for LTPP to do 75 nights this year if they want a final year of MR Plat...

(do you understand that there is no LTPP in the NEW program?)
Old May 25, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Good lord, passive aggressive much? This has absolutely nothing to do with SPG vs. MR, there is zero reason for you to go there, not sure why you have to turn every argument into a discussion of the "quality" of nights.

Interesting that the Lurker is advising anyone going for LTPP to do 75 nights this year if they want a final year of MR Plat...

Did the Lurker use the term "magical" too? The legacy programs are equal. The problem is you keep wanting to put everything in a "SPG vs Marriott" frame by using insulting terms, indicating nights should count differently and begging the PTB to treat you better because you come from SPG. It's foolish every time terms like "magical" are used and this time it is responsible for giving absolutely incorrect advice to anyone who might read your posts. It's time to stop.

The question is clear. The number of nights dictates what counts, not the color of the metal. The answer is clear, signed and dated. It's time for you to stop using terms like "magical" and to quit giving wrong advice because you want to feel special. Please.
Do years of Gold in the legacy MR program count as a year of Platinum in the calculation for LTPP?
Yes...<added by Starwood Lurker 23May18>
Yes, there is no LTPP in the new program, but the question and answer are clear that MR Gold, the fifty night level, will count just like SPG Plat, the fifty night level. Nothing magical or strange or unfair about that. One will still need 750 nights total which would indicate a long time in the program or other years at the 75 night level, called MR Plat, but the answer makes it clear there will be fairness and parity in how the two programs are counted.
schley likes this.

Last edited by CJKatl; May 25, 2018 at 7:41 am
Old May 25, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
I think I know the answer from the thread, but if I have 750 nights combined at the end of 2018, but less than 10 years Platinum, it's no lifetime PP, right?
Old May 25, 2018, 7:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
I think I know the answer from the thread, but if I have 750 nights combined at the end of 2018, but less than 10 years Platinum, it's no lifetime PP, right?
This is probably true, but how many nights do you have in Marriott only and how many lifetime MR points do you have? Getting legacy MR LTP by the end of the year would mean LTPP in the combined program.
Old May 25, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by shawneve
Does it matter how you achieved Platinum prior to merger?
I will have 9 years SPG Plat after qualifying this year.

However pre-merger/account linking, I once made Marriott Plat via Platinum challenge. I was given Plat that year and the following year.
(this was 2013 I think) So at least one year Marriott Plat. (I assume)

So as long as that Marriott Plat counts, I will have 10 years (i will also have >750 nights) I should qualify as LTPP.
There is no language in the announcements that indicates they will treat a Plat Challenge year any different from a 75 night qualifying year, so I would assume that you'll get the year.
Old May 25, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This is probably true, but how many nights do you have in Marriott only and how many lifetime MR points do you have? Getting legacy MR LTP by the end of the year would mean LTPP in the combined program.
It's almost all on the SPG side (like 565/65 split) and I won't naturally hit 750 combined before the end of the year, so I'd have to significantly mattress/event plan run. If 750 total nights period got me LTPP, then I would definitely consider it, but all signs point to no, so I don't want to waste my time if so.
Old May 25, 2018, 7:59 am

Currently I'm lifetime gold with MR [just under 1000 nites, 1.8M points, 12 years MR plat which was last achieved in 2012 at least according to the CSR] - I'm not going to get the 200K MR points by 12/31/2018 - I really don't do the mfg spend game so that method of getting LTPP is out.

From my understanding of the merging of the two programs, I will have more than over 1200 nights and a combined 19 years at plat status in the two programs which will qualify me for LTPP

My 1st question is > is there any good reason for me to try to get that 10th year of SPG plat as it applies to LTPP status?

I can't think of one, but you guys know way more than I do.

For the SPG side log into the SPG Dashboard site it clearly shows the years Elite and how many years were Platinum Elite.
Old May 25, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle

Still making friends ? Maybe everyone else in the world is still wrong? @:-)
Old May 25, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Why do you keep saying this? It plainly exists. It may not be earned after 12/31/18, but it will continue to exist. That you continue to repeat things that are demonstrably and plainly false is puzzling.
Old May 25, 2018, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by B10 Answered by Starwood Lurker
B10. Do years of Gold in the legacy MR program count as a year of Platinum in the calculation for LTPP?
Yes, previous years in MR as a Gold Elite member will count as years as Platinum Elite in the new program. <added by Starwood Lurker 23May18>
Originally Posted by CJKatl

You know, I interpreted this response from William in a manner initially similar to how UA-NYC read it, but now I'm not so sure anymore!

The response simply says years as MRGE will count as years towards LTPE in the new program... and the "Yes" at the beginning of the response seems to be the only thing that is affirming the "calculation for LTPP" portion. So this could be interpreted either way, IMHO.

I'm going to Costco now to get some popcorn.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.