Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Points and Divorce

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2009, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now I wonder if the spouse wants the points because of the value or knows how much it would hurt to those of us who read Flyertalk all the time to give up those hard-earned points

What happens if earning excessive points caused the divorce?

Last edited by username; Jun 30, 2009 at 7:37 pm
Old Jun 30, 2009, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigYellowDog

Accrued points and miles do not constitute property of the member. Points accrued by a Marriott Rewards member are for the member's benefit only and may not be transferred to anyone. Points are transferable to a legal spouse or partner only in the case of documented death of the member. Points are not transferable to another person for any other reason, including divorce or inheritance.
Wait, so if you are single and something happens to you, then the points can't go to your family? It has to be spouse or partner? That does not make sense.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 11:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by username
Wait, so if you are single and something happens to you, then the points can't go to your family? It has to be spouse or partner? That does not make sense.
It's my understanding that it's spouse or partner only. My sister died recently & while she has points in dif programs, I don't have access to them. Same with social security or retirement bennies/payouts. She put into the system & Uncle Same gets to keep the $$. If I were spouse I'd have access but as sis, no go.

Cheers
Old Jul 2, 2009, 2:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
If I was on my deathbed (and not married), I would give my passwords to my family and/or friends and tell them to empty the airline and hotel accounts. Heck, I might even ask for a phone and start booking trips for them.

Most airlines and hotels do not allow points/miles to pass as inheritance because they see death as the ultimate breakage opportunity. As for divorce, I think the potential problems from contentious separations makes it unappealing for the programs since they would need a desk of reps (extra overhead) just to handle everything that comes from divorce cases.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by BigYellowDog
The lawyer I just saw, is not sure. The listserve she's a member has this debate all the time apparently and she'll need to research it more..

Someone mentioned merchandise, which might be an option although the redemption value is horrid. Since I will need a new place to stay shortly, maybe I should just get a Marriott Bed.

Preserving these without having to give something up, is the unlikely goal.

I've got over 500,000 UAL miles as well.

TIC - Maybe I should use them to start an affair and travel to a few exotic places. .

Can you please get over to Coupon Connection so we can help you out!
Old Jul 2, 2009, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by schley
Can you please get over to Coupon Connection so we can help you out!
you can trade them to us at favorable rates and we will burn them and you just don't have to tell her lawyer about the receivables on your end.. I won't tell on you thats for sure
Old Jul 2, 2009, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
It's the running joke in our family...my wife knows I would never leave her b/c I don't want to give up half my points!
Old Jul 2, 2009, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I'd probably redeem all the points for a future date, as far out as possible. Then, theoretically, they are no longer in the account.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 12:27 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I'd probably redeem all the points for a future date, as far out as possible. Then, theoretically, they are no longer in the account.
What about trading them for GC to be used in the future (on CC). Marriott or Rtiz Carlton perhaps? They don't expire and I guess would almost be like laudering your MR points.)

Or if it came down to it and you didn't redeem them for something and you realize your ex is entitled to half and you didn't want her to get them, donate them to charity.

Originally Posted by bsdstone
It's the running joke in our family...my wife knows I would never leave her b/c I don't want to give up half my points!
That is funny. ^
Old Jul 3, 2009, 3:56 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by newbiztraveler
Couldn't the court come up with a cash value and make you pay half of it out?
No, no, no, no.....

The court cannot assign a value to the points, nor do the points have cash value, nor should this be suggested....It's Pandora's Box. You cannot have your cake and eat it, too.

Here is a thread from '05 that goes into more detail: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ettlement.html
Old Jul 3, 2009, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Trade them for gift cards, lock them somewhere safe or as this poster said, redeem for future dates, say they are for your living arrangements and then cash them back out for points after she is long gone
Old Jul 3, 2009, 10:55 am

Programs: MR Platinum, UA, AA, etc. etc. etc.
We've dealt with several divorces and at least in my state, they have been treated as community assets and split or negotiated in the property settlement. best of luck to you with them.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 5:08 pm

Just FYI, Colorado is NOT a community property state. It is an "equitable distribution" state, which is completely different. If your lawyer thinks otherwise, better get another lawyer...
Old Jul 4, 2009, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, UA 1K
Originally Posted by free101girl
Just FYI, Colorado is NOT a community property state. It is an "equitable distribution" state, which is completely different. If your lawyer thinks otherwise, better get another lawyer...

free101girl, that was my mistake...you are absolutely correct.

I like the gift card idea as I'd love to get a Marriott Bed as I'll need a bed shortly (the sofa is getting old)..only problem is that court may look at this as a disposition of assets, so I don't see a way to get around all this in a legal manner. Hopefully my lawyer is good enough to figure this out. Currently my wife doesn't know how many points i have, but my lawyer does.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 6:28 am

I still say trade them for something liquid that you can either turn into cash or into something you can trade again for something you need; it does not have to be here on CC, go to ebay or some other site that will let you make the paypal or liquid asset transaction

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.