Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Paris Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2009, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
I can only reiterate that the area surrounding the hotel is fine, but southeast a few blocks it gets concerning. Last year, as we drove by, there was a fellow urinating along the boulevard. Nearby, there was a cluster of men that would loiter (not waiting for a bus, mind you, just always there on a corner, smoking, and speaking a different language). They caused us no harm and we walked by them at least 10 times (there was someone there on that corner everyday that we were there) without so much as a comment from them. I was not frightened, nor was my wife. but I would not have felt comfortable sending her to get some milk and cookies (or what-not) if I knew she would have to walk that route alone.

Ladies (and gents), these are modern times, and I fully agree that the days of the meek should be dispensed for adenturousness and fun. Just don't la la down the grandes boulevardes without watching your surroundings carefully.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 3:23 am

Programs: AA Gold, 1MM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, EI Concierge
Originally Posted by weezl
I can only reiterate that the area surrounding the hotel is fine, but southeast a few blocks it gets concerning. Last year, as we drove by, there was a fellow urinating along the boulevard. Nearby, there was a cluster of men that would loiter (not waiting for a bus, mind you, just always there on a corner, smoking, and speaking a different language). They caused us no harm and we walked by them at least 10 times (there was someone there on that corner everyday that we were there) without so much as a comment from them. I was not frightened, nor was my wife. but I would not have felt comfortable sending her to get some milk and cookies (or what-not) if I knew she would have to walk that route alone.

Ladies (and gents), these are modern times, and I fully agree that the days of the meek should be dispensed for adenturousness and fun. Just don't la la down the grandes boulevardes without watching your surroundings carefully.
There is a hostel for what appears to be asylum seekers or illegal immigrants near to the hotel but I have stayed there many times and have never ever seen any anti social activity......
Old Sep 8, 2009, 8:16 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by CarolDisney1
Just an FYI. There is an elevator at the Defert R. Folks seem to miss it a lot and complain about stairs, but if you take it, you can avoid stairs.

I walk IF it's not REALLY cold or raining. In those cases, I take the metro, but just to the next stop, not Glacier. (I think it's St. Jacques) Fewer stairs, and you can "sneak" in via the conference center to get out of the weather quicker.
Good to know there is an elevator. I didn't mind the stairs that much when traveling light.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Just a quick note. I just returned from a five night stay. I was upgraded to a Junior Suite which was a nice touch (this was a reward stay)

The lounge is open all weekend. I had breakfast every morning, but never really made it to the evening offerings. I did use the free interent there however during the day a few times.

The elevator at the RER station is out of order for "rennovations" until 10/31.

There were some comments earlier in this thread about "seedy" area. I walked from the RER to the hotel almost nightly alone. (Single female) NEVER even got a second look much less harrassed or felt "unsafe" There were some single men in the area as referred to earlier, but they were generally using the pay phone. Honestly, it was less "harrassment" then I got anywhere else in Paris (no homeless, no beggars, no "gold rings" etc)

Check out could have been an issue. HUGE line in the lobby. The staff in the Executive Lounge called the front desk and had my bill processed for me so I was "shuttled" to the "crew check out" area. I was charged 7 Euros for some city tax. No big deal IMHO.

All in all, I felt it was a good use of my points!
Old Oct 19, 2009, 6:39 pm

Just a quick note. I just returned from a five night stay. I was upgraded to a Junior Suite which was a nice touch (this was a reward stay)
Can you touch key features of the Junior Suite looks like?

There were some comments earlier in this thread about "seedy" area. I walked from the RER to the hotel almost nightly alone. (Single female) NEVER even got a second look much less harrassed or felt "unsafe"
My experience similar. Nothing to feel unsafe about. I had also walked back with my dw one night from Place D"Italie to the hotel due to subway shut down for maintenance. Was a bit dark, but nothing made us feel unsafe as such!

Check out could have been an issue. HUGE line in the lobby. The staff in the Executive Lounge called the front desk and had my bill processed for me so I was "shuttled" to the "crew check out" area....
The lobby was busy during most part of the day.
I also found the Lounge staff extremely helpful in more ways than one. There was an expat lady working days, she was particularly friendly and full of energy. She came around to greet every table in the lounge.

I like this hotel. Barring anything unforeseen future issue or a better MR appears on the horizon, I will return in the next few months.

CarolD, thanks for your update.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 3:33 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Diamond
Just finished a 7 night stay here. It was a really nice hotel, no Marriott status, but was still given a 15th floor room with a decent view of the city. Every floor has a nice ice/water dispenser so that was convenient. The gym was also very nice, well equipped and clean. Internet was very expensive, 5 euros for 1 hour/ 10 euros for 5 hours/ 20 euros for a day, but a boingo global plan worked out very well for both wired and wireless.

Only 2 small issues came up-I had the privacy sign on my door cause I was working there during the day. I got a call at 3 pm asking if I need service and I said no. Went out for a couple hours, and they took off the privacy sign and cleaned the room anyway. Also, line at checkout was 45 minutes long (hotel was fully booked) and apparently if you want express checkout you have to request it at the front desk the night before.

Overall, a great hotel, well located and comfortable. Going back next week for another 6 days and looking forward to it.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 5:51 am

Junior suite is bascially two hotel rooms so you get the basic size. (My room number for example was 1741, but the hotel in the bedroom was for 1743 which "didn't exist" when you walked down the hall)

The wall between the two rooms is open so there's no way to "close" it off.

The "suite" portion has the basic desk, a nice flat screen TV and a fairly large sofa. Kind of an "L" shape. The sofa has a bed that's probably about double size you could pull out. There was a good size coffee table and another chair in the sitting area. There's the same bathroom as in the hotel rooms and the fridge/safe are there.

The bedroom side had a king size bed, large dresser with another flat screen. Two "luggage" racks, wardrobe and a "Dressing" area with a little vanity type set up (Which was where the door to the hall would have been in a normal room). Bathroom was the same as in your standard hotel room.

Room had two robes (one in each bath)

Didn't try the interent as I left my laptop at home, but had heard it was costly.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 6:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Didn't try the interent as I left my laptop at home, but had heard it was costly.
It was free as Plat when I was there earlier this year - were you given a code at checkin?
Old Oct 20, 2009, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by star_world
It was free as Plat when I was there earlier this year - were you given a code at checkin?
They asked if I wanted a code. I did not ask if it was free or take the code as I didn't have a laptop with me.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by allset2travel

My experience similar. Nothing to feel unsafe about. I had also walked back with my dw one night from Place D"Italie to the hotel due to subway shut down for maintenance. Was a bit dark, but nothing made us feel unsafe as such!
I completely agree with this and what CarolDisney1 reports regarding the safety of the area. Like you, we walked back from the bus stop at Place d'Italie a few nights and safety was never a concern. It was just a quiet neighborhood from my perspective.

Bobette
Old Oct 21, 2009, 6:50 pm

CarolD,
Thanks for a details of the suite.

I confirm that hotel offered plats free internet with a daily code. Every morning, I would call to get my new code.

Also concur that the gym is very good.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Diamond, UA Silver, MR/SPG LT Plat, HH LT Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred+
Just finished a paid 2 night weekend stay at the Paris Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel & Conference Center. My room was [upgraded?] on the 18th floor north side (awesome cityscape view). Breakfast, snacks, and dessert at the CL were very, very nice (in fact, I didn't want to leave). Received complimentary access code for wireless internet, and the new one the next morning after calling (rookie desk clerk forgot to mention that it changes daily).

If you're arriving on foot (especially with luggage), I recommend:
a. Exiting the Metro at the Glaciere station (downstairs from train to street) rather than at the St. Jacques station (upstairs, no escalator or elevator, from train to street).
b. Enter the revolving door nearer the Glaciere station, not the Congress door at the St. Jacques end of the building. I wandered around the conference rooms for about 10 minutes looking for the front desk, before walking back outside.

My only complaints were the long checkout line at 11:30am this morning, and the two very loud (and apparently deaf) women in the next room, who insisted o (both nights) slamming the room door at 1am and then conversing very loudly through the closed bathroom door. Of course, having a [albeit closed] connecting room door between my room and theirs didn't help.

Altogether, a pretty nice experience.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 8:24 am

Programs: US/CO/AA/MR Plat
Just finished a three night stay at the hotel. One of the best hotels my wife and I have ever stayed in Paris. We found the neighborhood nice and very peaceful. Hotel concierge was outstanding and got us dinner reservations for Saturday night when all hope seemed lost. We were upgraded to a junior suite at check-in and liked the two room set-up.

We have only two complaints about the hotel:

1. In the lounge a hot option such as eggs for breakfast would be nice.

2. No pool or hot tub. It would have been nice to sit in the hot tub after a day exploring the city and its museums.

Other than that, this is our new hotel of choice in Paris!
Old Nov 20, 2009, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GreyGhost
My only complaints were the long checkout line at 11:30am this morning
As someone who's checking in there tomorrow, and who has seen this first-hand a LOT, I agree.

American, Alitalia and Iberia crew stay at this hotel too (more of them likely). It is a ZOO in the lobby between 0900 and 1300, partially due to that.

Sadly you have to budget about 20 minutes for check-out at this hotel.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 9:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by weezl

This is major world city we are talking about. Paris. You have to use common sense and be careful anywhere you go no exception here.

I do think people read too much into your comments but i think those scenes could be anywhere in Paris or any large international city.

This hotel is definitely in a very safe and in a pleasant area. Its also not in a tourist area so I think that makes it even safer since its still a nice area. The crowded tourist areas are pretty high in crime preying on the tourists. This hotel is probably safer for walking around than most of the popular tourist hotels in "good areas". I enjoyed it very much and i would recommend it as a great marriott for visiting Paris, I got a really good rate compared to the other marriott properties. Transportation access is very good and close by. Staff was pleasant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.