Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Paris Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris Marriott Rive Gauche Hotel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2009, 4:06 am

Programs: MR Gold, IHG Gold AMB
Originally Posted by weezl
Nearby, there was a cluster of men that would loiter (not waiting for a bus, mind you, just always there on a corner, smoking, and speaking a different language). They caused us no harm and we walked by them at least 10 times (there was someone there on that corner everyday that we were there) without so much as a comment from them. I was not frightened, nor was my wife. but I would not have felt comfortable sending her to get some milk and cookies (or what-not) if I knew she would have to walk that route alone.
That reminded me another quote LOL:
I have always been afraid of Muslims. I remember the last time I flew (in '89 I think) I was on the plane and 2 men were sitting I think across the aisle talking in a foreign language. I was terrified that they were hijackers, and I was almost in tears the whole flight. In retrospect I think they may have been speaking French. But it was so scary for me at the time...
Old Jan 21, 2010, 7:27 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold
Video Review / Overview

I recently stayed at the Paris Marriott Rive Gauche over a weekend and put a video overview together of the hotel, plus the junior suite. So if you'd like to *see* what the hotel and rooms look like, check it out here: http://yelloww.net/blog/2010/01/pari...t-rive-gauche/

Most of the details of the hotel have already been covered in this thread, so I won't repeat them, but I will say that the concierge lounge was definitely one of the better Marriott lounges that I’ve been too. Yes, no hot breakfast, but at dessert time every evening they always had delicious French pastries, and even provided breakfasts on weekends.

Would definitely recommend this hotel to other travelers to Paris. Check out the video for all the details.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Originally Posted by thnarf
I recently stayed at the Paris Marriott Rive Gauche over a weekend and put a video overview together of the hotel, plus the junior suite. So if you'd like to *see* what the hotel and rooms look like, check it out here: http://yelloww.net/blog/2010/01/pari...t-rive-gauche/

Most of the details of the hotel have already been covered in this thread, so I won't repeat them, but I will say that the concierge lounge was definitely one of the better Marriott lounges that I’ve been too. Yes, no hot breakfast, but at dessert time every evening they always had delicious French pastries, and even provided breakfasts on weekends.

Would definitely recommend this hotel to other travelers to Paris. Check out the video for all the details.
LOVED the video. I never tried pulling the "curtain out" So my big question. Did you ever figure out how to tie the "blinds" up after turn down service? That was always my morning challenge!

I will have to make the pastry run next time. I missed that, but I did just book a stay this summer. (and I wonder why I never have any marriott points?)
Old Jan 29, 2010, 12:32 am

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
I recently stayed at the Paris Marriott Rive Gauche over a weekend and put a video overview together of the hotel, plus the junior suite.
Thanks so much.--your video paints one thousand pictures,,,,

If I was guaranteed a suite like you got--this property would definitely be my first choice.

But given that suites for Platinums is more likely not to happen--would you still suggest this as my first choice within Paris using Marriott Rewards points?

Seems like there is a significant compromise with respect to location.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by travelexpert
Thanks so much.--your video paints one thousand pictures,,,,

If I was guaranteed a suite like you got--this property would definitely be my first choice.

But given that suites for Platinums is more likely not to happen--would you still suggest this as my first choice within Paris using Marriott Rewards points?

I stay there as my number one choice. I think I have stayed there 4 or 5 times. I have only gotten the suite once.

For me the lower points cost originally was the deciding factor. Now, however I admit that I have become very comfortable with the neighborhood, I know where things are and really like the location. With the metro that close IMHO the location works for me. I don't feel like it's a 'significant' compromise.

I do not really like the Champs Elysees location, but other's do. The Renaissance are all catergory 7 or 8 and it's just not worth the extra point to me. Others find them well worth it.

Now the Courtyards do have location disadvantages that have kept me away.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by CarolDisney1
LOVED the video.
Same here. Makes me want to go back.

Bobette
Old Jan 31, 2010, 2:21 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by travelexpert

If I were going back I would stay here again even if I didn't get the sweet upgrade -- for a couple of reasons --

It's really easy to get to from the airport as you can take the RER train all the way there, then just have to walk 10 minutes (no train changes). I stayed my last couple of days at the Hotel de Crillon, which is on the Champs Elysses. Being in the "middle" of Paris makes for some pretty noisy rooms.. lots of traffic, etc.

When I was going back to the airport from the Hotel de Crillion, I had to change trains like 3 times -- quite a hassle when you have luggage!

So I personally consider the quiet location a plus... and it really is only a 2 minute walk to the subway -- which get's you just about anywhere pretty quick. The subway's come every few minutes, so you won't end up waiting a long time.

This was also the "cheapest" of the Marriott's when I went -- so that's a plus too!
Old Jan 31, 2010, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
It's really easy to get to from the airport as you can take the RER train all the way there, then just have to walk 10 minutes (no train changes)....

So I personally consider the quiet location a plus... and it really is only a 2 minute walk to the subway -- which get's you just about anywhere pretty quick. The subway's come every few minutes, so you won't end up waiting a long time.

This was also the "cheapest" of the Marriott's when I went -- so that's a plus too!
You said it all. I like this place for those reasons, plus the good CL. Free internet is a great perk for me too!
Old Feb 1, 2010, 1:17 pm

Programs: CO - Gold, Marriott- Gold, HH- Gold, Hyatt Diamond, miscellaneous nothing on many
Just returned from an 8 day stay here. The St. Jacques stop is currently closed, but the Denfert Rochereau is PERFECT to get around, especially for travel to the airport- no transfers. Be sure to find the elevator- made the trip practically effortless. The Glaciere is slightly more convenient when it is cold and rainy, but don't take it if you are carrying luggage because there are too many stairs.

The executive lounge is perfect for breakfast: hot eggs, cold sliced ham & turkey, nice french pastries, cereal, variety of yogurts, and fresh cut fruit. I enjoyed cubed pineapple and oranges each day. The evening hors d'eouvres are practically a meal. Daily offerings from 5:30 to 7:30 included beef kabobs, poached fish, shrimp couscous, or roasted duck. The 7:30-9:30 dessert were very good. Served in little shot glasses, we enjoyed chocolate, raspberry, and chestnut mousses. And cookies, granola, and chips 24/7. The best was a delicious chocolate ganache tart- but was only offered once during our stay. We also took extra botttled water for our room. If you have access and enjoy their food, you will save lots of $$ using this feature. There are 3 computers with access to a printer. Nice.

Note that some posters mentioned free beer/wine: it actually is 4.50 euro per glass and it is an honor bar. The concierge attendants are very friendly and asked our name the first night (and then greeted us thereafter). You will feel like a shmuck if you try to cheat so do your honor and fill out the sheet each night.

Upon request, we were given an upgraded room, which for us was a 17th floor room with a gorgeous view of the city, slippers, a robe, and a few extra toiletries such as bath salts and emory board. We were given two bottles of Evian and two bottles of carbonated water in our fridge each day. We were celebrating an anniversary, and on the first night were gifted a 1/2 bottle of wine and two boxes of macarons delivered to our room. It set a very nice tone to our stay.

The only downside was that housekeeping became very slack towards the end of our stay- no toiletry replacements the last THREE days of our stay. We were totally out on the last day and I had to call at 10pm to request replacements. They were prompty brought up. Still, it was a bit annoying.

The Restaurant Italienne 1/2 block away towards the Glaciere is great for pizza. There is a nice little brassiere on Glaciere (across the tracks from the Glaciere station) called L'allouette. The lounge attendant recommended it and we saw a few other hotel guests eat there.

Near the Denfert Rochereau station (exiting from the purple line) is a street with lots of restaurants. You won't see it if you always exit that station from the blue line. My husband and I had a perfect meal at a neighborhood brasserie- not touristy and extremely good. I don't recall the name, but will post again with it.

The concierges were a mixed bag- mostly very helpful. Phillipe was great. On other efforts, we had one guy give us Metro directions to our anniversary dinner at Le Coupe Chou that had us changing trains 3 times for a 55 min trip. On the return, we figured out a way to get back on one train in 15 min by walking about 10 minutes to a different station. BTW- if you want a reasonably priced, atmopheric, cozy, gourmet meal: Le Coupe Chou is it.

As a Gold, I was offered free internet access. There is a 24 hour code, so was told to call each day for a new code. We only used it one night.

Although with my husband, I've also travelled solo a lot and am safety conscious. On previous comments abt "seediness" nearby: while walking from the Metro we noticed a few apartment buildings with people loitering who appeared a bit rough. It is nothing to be worried about. We saw much worse on certain Metro stops. Just be aware of your surroundings. Worse was walking to the Metro on Sunday morning and seeing the barf outside the Apollo Bar adjacent to the Denfet Rochereau Metro. Not unsafe, just gross.

I would definitely recommend this hotel. Although it takes a bit longer to get into the tourist parts, it still is convenient and a great value for using points. We used 5 nights on points, and paid the weekend rate for the others.

Last edited by busygirl; Feb 1, 2010 at 1:46 pm
Old Feb 1, 2010, 2:31 pm

The charging for wine/beer is new. When I was there last fall the wine/beer was free there were no "tickets" to sign and I did confirm they were free. I guess it's another Marriott "enhancement!"
Old Mar 23, 2010, 8:46 pm

I will be staying at this hotel in May with several family members. My parents are mid 70s and nieces are mid 20s. We are flying into Orly and it sounds like a straight shot on the RER to Denfert Rochereau. From the airport, how do I get to the RER? My parents are reasonably healthy but I do not want them to have to walk 15 minutes to the train station with luggage. From Denfert Rochereau, it sounds like we can either transfer to the metro or walk depending on the weather but the walk is another 10 minutes. Any comments on the door to door time from airport to the hotel?

We have a total of three rooms. One was booked with the CL Executive access (3 persons), one room was booked with points (2 persons), the other room was a standard two person room. Since I am Plat, will my entire family have access to the CL? I know the 3 in the CL will have access and I will have access.

We switched our hotel from the Champs to the Rive Gauche based on comments on flyertalk. We plan on going to Versailles, Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower, etc. so paying extra just to be on the Champs was not worth it to us.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by norenewa
I will be staying at this hotel in May with several family members. My parents are mid 70s and nieces are mid 20s. We are flying into Orly and it sounds like a straight shot on the RER to Denfert Rochereau. From the airport, how do I get to the RER? My parents are reasonably healthy but I do not want them to have to walk 15 minutes to the train station with luggage. From Denfert Rochereau, it sounds like we can either transfer to the metro or walk depending on the weather but the walk is another 10 minutes. Any comments on the door to door time from airport to the hotel?

We have a total of three rooms. One was booked with the CL Executive access (3 persons), one room was booked with points (2 persons), the other room was a standard two person room. Since I am Plat, will my entire family have access to the CL? I know the 3 in the CL will have access and I will have access.

We switched our hotel from the Champs to the Rive Gauche based on comments on flyertalk. We plan on going to Versailles, Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower, etc. so paying extra just to be on the Champs was not worth it to us.
Actually, there's the ORLYBUS which goes from Orly to Denfert Rocherau stop. Easier in that your folks won't have to lug the bags from the train up to the surface. I think the cost is 6,80 Euros per person.

The walk from Denfert Rochereau to the hotel is actually downhill, MUCH better than lugging the luggage in the two-stop Metro ride (then, your walk would be a couple of blocks uphill from there).
Old Mar 23, 2010, 9:21 pm

Thank you for the information. I will check into the ORLYBUS. I was leaning towards the train because I read that traffic can be pretty bad but perhaps I will take the Orlybus to the hotel. On the return, I may consider the train because I do not want to be caught in traffic. We all need to pack light!
Old Mar 23, 2010, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by norenewa
Thank you for the information. I will check into the ORLYBUS. I was leaning towards the train because I read that traffic can be pretty bad but perhaps I will take the Orlybus to the hotel. On the return, I may consider the train because I do not want to be caught in traffic. We all need to pack light!
I've never been to Orly, but I do not think it's a "straight shot" to D-R on the RER. I think you have to change trains somewhere (it IS a direct shot from CDG, though).
Old Mar 24, 2010, 4:00 am

I took the Orlybus the only time I flew into Orly and it was easy. .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.