Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Cancel Marriott Chase now or wait and "upgrade" card in May?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2018, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Here's the link to see your upgrade offer:

https://www.chase.com/chasegreatrewards/catchall
Print Wikipost

Cancel Marriott Chase now or wait and "upgrade" card in May?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2018, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfacpamba
I have the Marriott and Ritz cards. If I cancel the Marriott card, and reapply, will having the ritz card stop me from being approved?
First, I don't think you can apply any longer for a Marriott card that you've had for over two years. The card has been discontinued for applications, and a slightly different card (with a $10 higher AF and different benefits) has taken its place. (I presume you know that general Chase rules are that you have to be at least 2 years since you earned the bonus on the same kind of card to qualify for getting a signup bonus for the new card. I presume you also know about the Chase 5/24 rule and are under 5/24, because otherwise -- if you've been churning lots of personal cards recently -- you'll get denied for most any Chase card for that reason.)

Second, it may depend on when you do this. There is a strong rumor that the SPG "luxury" card coming August will not be available to present Chase Marriott/Ritz cardholders or anyone who's had Chase Marriott/Ritz cards in the past 2 years. If that's the case, Chase may be planning to have a "one card per family" rule to institute soon, but (a) we don't know for sure, and (b) if so we don't know when.

So all that can be said is that if you want to do something like this, do it sooner rather than later. But first, learn about the rules and the process to make sure that you'll qualify for getting the new card (under the current rules, at least) and earning the bonus on it, because it not, why bother with the whole effort?

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 11, 2018 at 8:08 pm Reason: edit to clarify past "2" years
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by DELee
Hmm. Looked on both the web page and PDF for ineligibility to earn the bonus if you have the old card and couldn't find it. Could you quote the text showing ineligibility?

Sorry - found it here: https://creditcards.chase.com/marriott/apply/offer_details

Offer Details

PLEASE SCROLL DOWN TO SEE ALL DISCLAIMERS:

Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card

100,000 Bonus Points: The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of the Marriott Rewards Premier or Marriott Rewards Premier Plus credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of the Marriott Rewards Premier or Marriott Rewards Premier Plus credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 24 months. If you are an existing Marriott Rewards Premier customer and would like this product, please call the number on the back of your card to see if you are eligible for a product change. You will not receive the new cardmember bonus if you change products.

David
i'm not eligible for an upgrade even though its been well over 24 months since i got the card (i think i got it in november 2015)....either way, i was thinking of just holding on to this card for now....questions for those who haven't switched to the new card....do you still get the 15 nights elite credit for the year & is the free night certificate valid for cat 1-4 or 1-5 properties????
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Keyser
i'm not eligible for an upgrade even though its been well over 24 months since i got the card (i think i got it in november 2015)....either way, i was thinking of just holding on to this card for now....questions for those who haven't switched to the new card....do you still get the 15 nights elite credit for the year & is the free night certificate valid for cat 1-4 or 1-5 properties????
Yes, you still get the 15 nights.

The cert is for a property up to 25k points now. The new card, I believe, is up to 35k points. That appears to be the only advantage to the new card, and to me is pretty insignificant. I see no reason to "upgrade".
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by JBord
Yes, you still get the 15 nights.

The cert is for a property up to 25k points now. The new card, I believe, is up to 35k points. That appears to be the only advantage to the new card, and to me is pretty insignificant. I see no reason to "upgrade".
fair enough....makes sense to hold on to this card as long as i get the 15 nights & the 25k points free night certificate....
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:52 pm

Marriott: 670 Nights, 2 Million Points, Credit Card valid through 10/18
Starwood: 197 Nights, 5 Year Status

I'm trying to reach the LTPP on Marriott legacy because I don't believe I will have the 10 years of combined status (Will be confirmed in August)

When my credit card comes up for renewal later this year do you think I will get 15 nights in Oct/Nov or will they not hit until 2019?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Cancelled old card end of June, applied and approved today for the new version.

PSA (reminder): current offer expires July 12 as has been mentioned a few times upthread.
bresnab likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by marauders4

I'm trying to reach the LTPP on Marriott legacy because I don't believe I will have the 10 years of combined status (Will be confirmed in August)

When my credit card comes up for renewal later this year do you think I will get 15 nights in Oct/Nov or will they not hit until 2019?
Unknown if you're talking about the personal legacy card. Very unlikely in Oct/Nov if you're talking about the business legacy card.

And IMHO a big risk, unless you're ready to do 15 nights of actual stays if those don't post in Oct/Nov (15 nights that you wouldn't need to do if those do post in Oct/Nov).

The easiest way to get from 670 to 750 is with 8 meetings in the next couple weeks:

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

(It's unclear whether meetings that post after the start of August will still earn 10 elite nights each. Thus the focus on the next couple weeks.)

If you're going to do more stays this year, then you don't need to do 8, but doing just a few meetings this month may make it much more reasonable to get to 750 purely on the Marriott side.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:45 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by marauders4

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Unknown if you're talking about the personal legacy card. Very unlikely in Oct/Nov if you're talking about the business legacy card.

And IMHO a big risk, unless you're ready to do 15 nights of actual stays if those don't post in Oct/Nov (15 nights that you wouldn't need to do if those do post in Oct/Nov).

The easiest way to get from 670 to 750 is with 8 meetings in the next couple weeks:

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

(It's unclear whether meetings that post after the start of August will still earn 10 elite nights each. Thus the focus on the next couple weeks.)

If you're going to do more stays this year, then you don't need to do 8, but doing just a few meetings this month may make it much more reasonable to get to 750 purely on the Marriott side.
I am in a similar situation with LTPP on the line.

Currently I have:

SPG - 632 Lifetime nights and 11 years of Platinum.
Marriott - 96 Lifetime nights and 1 year of Platinum.

I also have future bookings of another 6 nights with SPG and another 8 nights with Marriott. This takes my combined total to 632 + 96 + 6 + 8 = 742. Now my personal Marriott legacy card is up for renewal in early December. If I get the 15 nights that I have been getting for the last 4 years then I am easily getting over 750 nights. If not then I need to come up with another 8 nights. I don't have the option of the meetings since I am currently in a city with no Marriott property and will be here till mid September.

It would be great to get confirmation from those whose legacy cards have been up for renewal recently. If the 15 nights are still posting then I have nothing to worry about. If not then I need to book another 8 nights.

Last edited by Look Ma No Hands; Nov 8, 2018 at 10:28 am
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by sdsearch
There is a strong rumor that the SPG "luxury" card coming August will not be available to present Chase Marriott/Ritz cardholders or anyone who's had Chase Marriott/Ritz cards in the past years. If that's the case, Chase may be planning to have a "one card per family" rule to institute soon, but (a) we don't know for sure, and (b) if so we don't know when.

I am not saying you are mistaken, but I am curious where you saw that.

Doctor of Credit mentioned the Ritz-Carlton card:

"Unfortunately it looks like most readers will be ineligible as American Express plans to exclude anybody who has received a sign up or upgrade bonus on any Ritz-Carlton/Marriott credit card in the past 24 months (including Marriott business). You will also be excluded if you currently hold or have recently held the Ritz-Carlton card. Interestingly they won’t look at whether you’ve had an SPG personal/business card."
Old Jul 10, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by Look Ma No Hands
It would be great to get confirmation from those whose legacy cards have been up for renewal recently. If the 15 nights are still posting then I have nothing to worry about. If not then I need to book another 8 nights.
I know that this doesn't answer you question, but I signed up for a legacy Chase Marriott business card after the mid-April announcement and received 15 nights credit. Since receiving elite night credits is one of the major benefits of Chase Marriott cards, I would be surprised if those nights didn't post upon a cardholder's renewal. If I was less than 10 nights short of LTPP and I had not booked any meetings this year, I would wait until my anniversary date and book a meeting if they nights don't post.

Although I have both personal and business cards and some people with both cards have received a total of 30 nights credit each year, I am not anticipating an additional 15 nights credit on the anniversary of my personal card this year. Since I would need more than one meeting to hit 750 nights if the additional nights didn't post, I decided to book a couple of actual meetings before 8/1.

Last edited by rny321; Jul 10, 2018 at 8:25 am
Old Jul 10, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Cancelled old card end of June, applied and approved today for the new version.

PSA (reminder): current offer expires July 12 as has been mentioned a few times upthread.
Let us know if you get the 100K points!

Originally Posted by Look Ma No Hands
I
I don't see how the 15 nights can not still post at the anniversary for legacy cardholders. If they don't post until next year then you would have not received any nights for this year. Maybe they'd eventually change it so they all post in the beginning of the year, but they'd have to still give you the nights at some point for the year.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
After reading through this thread, I'm leaning towards dropping my Chase Marriott card. The 10,000 point offer is pretty low and I would rather drop the card and then apply for the new card to get the larger bonus, then drop that card in a year or so. Taking the 10K points would just push out my ability to get the larger bonus. I'm well over 2 years since I got the original sign-up bonus and I haven't gotten a new Chase card in several years. I will likely put this in with my move from the Sapphire Preferred to the Sapphire Reserve card. My original purpose for having the Chase Marriott card was to bolster my points towards lifetime status. Given that points no longer matter, I don't see keeping the card (I also have the SPG Amex). The free night cert is more useful at the 35K level, but I still find that for personal travel the cert is often not good where we want to stay (cities as opposed to smaller markets).
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoPhils
Let us know if you get the 100K points!
Old account still closed; new card has new number and listing. I'm not concerned at all that the bonus will be elusive, just bummed referals appear to be terminated for the card.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone who cancelled the old card and subsequently applied for, and received, the new one seen an additional 15 nights credit in their account? I have no idea if this would occur but potentially intrigued by it.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Has anyone who cancelled the old card and subsequently applied for, and received, the new one seen an additional 15 nights credit in their account? I have no idea if this would occur but potentially intrigued by it.
My wife had the old card and received her 15 nights for it in January. Cancelled it and applied for and received the new card. She has completed 1 billing cycle and has not received any more nights or even the 100k bonus even though she met the spend requirement 3 days before the close of the cycle. The regular points for the billing cycle did post to her account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.