Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Cancel Marriott Chase now or wait and "upgrade" card in May?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2018, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Here's the link to see your upgrade offer:

https://www.chase.com/chasegreatrewards/catchall
Print Wikipost

Cancel Marriott Chase now or wait and "upgrade" card in May?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoPhils
I don't see how the 15 nights can not still post at the anniversary for legacy cardholders. If they don't post until next year then you would have not received any nights for this year. Maybe they'd eventually change it so they all post in the beginning of the year, but they'd have to still give you the nights at some point for the year.
But that the problem, for those looking to use those 15 nights this year for getting to 750 for lifetime Platinum Premier status (which is only available until Dec 31,2018). If the 15 nights get delayed until January 2015, they're useless (for LTPP qualification purposes).
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rny321
I am not saying you are mistaken, but I am curious where you saw that.

Doctor of Credit mentioned the Ritz-Carlton card:

"Unfortunately it looks like most readers will be ineligible as American Express plans to exclude anybody who has received a sign up or upgrade bonus on any Ritz-Carlton/Marriott credit card in the past 24 months (including Marriott business). You will also be excluded if you currently hold or have recently held the Ritz-Carlton card. Interestingly they won’t look at whether you’ve had an SPG personal/business card."
That's what I referring to, but I had a typo (which I just corrected now) which said "past years" when I meant "past 2 years" (ie, past 24 months). And if you read carefully, DoC is not just mentioning the Ritz card, he puts "/Marriott" after it and then says "including Marriott business". So he's mentioning all Chase Marrriott + Ritz cards.

As to the speculation that Chase may add this same rule to their Marriott cards, that's just speculation at this point. I didn't say it was going to happen, just that it might happen.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 11, 2018 at 8:16 pm
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by sdsearch
That's what I referring to, but I had a typo (which I just corrected now) which said "past years" when I meant "past 2 years" (ie, past 24 months). And if you read carefully, DoC is not just mentioning the Ritz card, he puts "/Marriott" after it and then says "including Marriott business". So he's mentioning all Chase Marrriott + Ritz cards.

As to the speculation that Chase may add this same rule to their Marriott cards, that's just speculation at this point. I didn't say it was going to happen, just that it might happen.
I thought the way your comment was originally written said that the new card would be unavailable to any recent Marriott cardholder, which is different from saying that you can't earn a bonus on the new card if you received one in the last two years or have a been a recent RC cardholder. I have both a personal and a business Marriott card, but haven't received a bonus in over two years. Since I plan to apply for the new Amex card in August, I was concerned that I might be ineligible because I am a current cardholder.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
But that the problem, for those looking to use those 15 nights this year for getting to 750 for lifetime Platinum Premier status (which is only available until Dec 31,2018). If the 15 nights get delayed until January 2015, they're useless (for LTPP qualification purposes).
But why would it for this year? You are referring to previously existing cardholders, correct? If the 15 nights don't post until next year, then someone who held the card for this entire year wouldn't get any night credits this year? Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see how that's possible.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Personally, I'm curious what the fate of Chase's Marriott Rewards Premier Business VISA will be.

It's very clear what the upgrade path is for the personal Chase Marriott Rewards VISA, and for the SPG American Express. Both (if you upgrade the Chase VISA) get 6 points per dollar spent at Marriott properties. But the Premier Business VISA is stuck at 5 points per dollar spent and there's no indication it'll change since Chase doesn't have the right to market business cards in the new program.

If any card of the three I hold is on the bubble, it's the Chase Premier Business VISA, which may be a legacy orphan for those of us who continue to hold it.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
Personally, I'm curious what the fate of Chase's Marriott Rewards Premier Business VISA will be.

It's very clear what the upgrade path is for the personal Chase Marriott Rewards VISA, and for the SPG American Express. Both (if you upgrade the Chase VISA) get 6 points per dollar spent at Marriott properties. But the Premier Business VISA is stuck at 5 points per dollar spent and there's no indication it'll change since Chase doesn't have the right to market business cards in the new program.

If any card of the three I hold is on the bubble, it's the Chase Premier Business VISA, which may be a legacy orphan for those of us who continue to hold it.
It appears to have already been announced that it will be renamed the Chase Premier Plus Business VISA, without a change to the AF, but with some changes to benefits. But the details of those changes are covered in some other thread(s), I just don't remember which thread(s) offhand, there are so many zillions of them having to do with the changes in this merger! .
Old Jul 14, 2018, 9:50 pm

It appears to have already been announced that it will be renamed the Chase Premier Plus Business VISA, without a change to the AF, but with some changes to benefits. But the details of those changes are covered in some other thread(s), I just don't remember which thread(s) offhand, there are so many zillions of them having to do with the changes in this merger! .
Good to know. I saw some of that implied in other threads, and digging back through Chase emails, I now find an email dated July 10 about the "new Marriott RewardsŪ Premier Business Credit Card from Chase."

The following details are included in the email:

1 free night stay
Every year after your account anniversary, you'll receive 1 free night stay at our Category 1-5 hotels.

Automatic Elite Status
You automatically qualify for Silver Elite Status each year and you'll achieve Gold Elite status when you spend $50,000 on purchases each account year.

Valuable money-saving benefits
There are no foreign transaction fees on card purchases, plus you can enroll in MarriottŪ Premier Visa Savings Edge for a variety of automatic discounts.

No notification, at least in that email, that 6x points per Marriott dollar spent would be accrued.

But by clicking through and logging into my account to read the program rules and regulations, as of August 26, 2018, I will accrue 6x points per Marriott dollar spent, instead of the current 5x. However, there no mention of earning 1 night stay credit for each $3,000 spent (similar to the change in the non-business Chase VISA).

Appears all credit card programs are being aligned.

Last edited by Seattlenerd; Jul 14, 2018 at 10:04 pm
Old Jul 14, 2018, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
Good to know. I saw some of that implied in other threads, but I haven't yet been officially notified by Chase of any changes as a card holder, nor could I find any details on the Chase site.

Only two or so weeks to go....
Here's a web page about the changes from DoC:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase...n-august-26th/

I think it was confirmed somewhere else later, but that page does list the benefit changes.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DELETED

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 14, 2018 at 9:55 pm Reason: accidental double post
Old Jul 14, 2018, 10:10 pm

Here's a web page about the changes from DoC:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase...n-august-26th/

I think it was confirmed somewhere else later, but that page does list the benefit changes.
I updated my earlier post when I found the email; the article seems to match what I found in the email from Chase and on the Chase site itself. Thanks.

Also interesting that the free cert available with the business card is only good for properties up to 25,000 points, not 35,000 as with the upgraded personal Chase VISA (or Amex, as I recall). So the new business VISA benefits are not as valuable as the upgraded personal Chase VISA.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Let's see if this works... This 2 page letter about the Chase Marriott BUSINESS card arrived from Chase yesterday. Remember that I am posting mages with the info about the BUSINESS card, not the new personal card.

Got it on the second try. See the post immediately following this one.

Last edited by GetawaysRus; Jul 15, 2018 at 8:01 am
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat

Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
FYI to all, the current bonus for new cardmembers for the Personal Premier Plus has dropped from 100k to 75k points.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:31 am

That image of the letter you received is amazingly helpful, GetawaysRus. It also makes it clear there's still a bit of internal alignment Chase needs to do to get its emails, online program rules and regulations, and other materials regarding the Marriott RewardsŪ Premier Business Credit Card all saying the same thing.

So based on the letter, all forms of the current Marriott Rewards credit cards (at least, based on changes/upgrades to existing cards, not any new high-fee "luxury"cards) will conform: 6X Marriott property points, 35K point annual certificate, no more night credit for $3K spending (for the Chase cards), and only one 15 night elite credit no matter how many Marriott Rewards-linked cards one carries.

I'm looking forward to getting the letter. Thanks again for posting it.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
Does buying a Marriott gift card count towards the $5000 spend in order to receive the 100,000 bonus points on the new and improved credit card from Chase?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.