Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Cancel Marriott Chase now or wait and "upgrade" card in May?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2018, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Here's the link to see your upgrade offer:

https://www.chase.com/chasegreatrewards/catchall
Print Wikipost

Cancel Marriott Chase now or wait and "upgrade" card in May?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by GoPhils
FYI to all, the current bonus for new cardmembers for the Personal Premier Plus has dropped from 100k to 75k points.
But did you notice this language? Correct me if I'm wrong, but does it open a window to getting a second card, and second bonus, as long as you were a regular user of the one you have now? Quote:

Replying to this offer: If you omit any information on the form, we may deny your request for an account. Chase cardmembers who currently have or have had a Chase credit card in any Rewards Program associated with this offer, may not be eligible for a second Chase credit card in the same Rewards Program. Chase cardmembers currently receiving promotional pricing, or Chase cardmembers with a history of only using their current or prior Chase card for promotional pricing offers, are not eligible for a second Chase credit card with promotional pricing. You must have a valid permanent home address within the 50 United States, the District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, or the US Virgin Islands, or have a United States military address. The information about the costs of the card described in this form is accurate as of 6/19/2018. This information may have changed after that date. To find out what may have changed, write to us at Cardmember Service, P.O. Box 15043, Wilmington, DE 19850-5043.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
So based on the letter, all forms of the current Marriott Rewards credit cards (at least, based on changes/upgrades to existing cards, not any new high-fee "luxury"cards) will conform: 6X Marriott property points, 35K point annual certificate, no more night credit for $3K spending (for the Chase cards), and only one 15 night elite credit no matter how many Marriott Rewards-linked cards one carries.
No, that's not correct.

The business card changes are being imposed involuntarily because the AF is not changing (at the same time the card is changing)

But on the personal it's different. Because the new personal Premier Plus has a higher AF than the legacy personal Premier (non-Plus), that new personal card is not being forced onto holders of the legacy personal card. Legacy card holders at most may be offered an upgrade to the new card. And those who choose to hold onto the legacy non-Plus Premier still get only 25000 point certs, and for them there has been no language about the $3k spend -> 1 elite night ending, like there has been for other cards.

So what you say is only true of the new Premier Plus cards, not the legacy non-Plus personal Premier card, which continues to exist for those who did not choose to upgrade to the Plus (or who weren't offered an upgrade because they applied for their non-Plus Premier too recently to be able to upgrade yet, per the first-year-no-changes" rule".).
Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:49 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by sdsearch
No, that's not correct.

The business card changes are being imposed involuntarily because the AF is not changing (at the same time the card is changing)

But on the personal it's different. Because the new personal Premier Plus has a higher AF than the legacy personal Premier (non-Plus), that new personal card is not being forced onto holders of the legacy personal card. Legacy card holders at most may be offered an upgrade to the new card. And those who choose to hold onto the legacy non-Plus Premier still get only 25000 point certs, and for them there has been no language about the $3k spend -> 1 elite night ending, like there has been for other cards.

So what you say is only true of the new Premier Plus cards, not the legacy non-Plus personal Premier card, which continues to exist for those who did not choose to upgrade to the Plus (or who weren't offered an upgrade because they applied for their non-Plus Premier too recently to be able to upgrade yet, per the first-year-no-changes" rule".).
Thus why I said "based on changes/upgrades to existing cards." The new personal Premier Plus is an inexpensive upgrade to the existing personal Premier, for those who are offered it.

So from the standpoint of it being an upgrade, which is how it was offered, it's correct. Apologies if my qualification was buried a bit in my message. I didn't want to go too deep in the weeds in the high-level observation, so your added detail is good to see for others who may have missed my parenthetical remark.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
1 night for $3K spend appears to continue with legacy personal card

I received this letter today.

The discussion of the limit of one 15 elite nights credit is very clearly limited to the annual bonus. No mention is made of the additional elite nights for spend.

I then followed the instructions in the letter to see if any mention was made in the T & C. Here is what I found.

So....no idea how long this benefit will continue, but it does not look to be changing with the introduction of the new cards.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by lexdevil
So....no idea how long this benefit will continue, but it does not look to be changing with the introduction of the new cards.
Yet.

David
Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DELee
Yet.
Yes, but that was true even before buying Starwood was a twinkle in Marriott's eye.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Yes, but that was true even before buying Starwood was a twinkle in Marriott's eye.
Perhaps, but these "new" Chase cards and their incentives/features eschew benefits to the historical holders of MR credit cards. Because of this, I am leery at best of Chase's intent toward us for the existing and future MR credit cards.

David
Old Jul 16, 2018, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
Thus why I said "based on changes/upgrades to existing cards." The new personal Premier Plus is an inexpensive upgrade to the existing personal Premier, for those who are offered it.

So from the standpoint of it being an upgrade, which is how it was offered, it's correct. Apologies if my qualification was buried a bit in my message. I didn't want to go too deep in the weeds in the high-level observation, so your added detail is good to see for others who may have missed my parenthetical remark.
But "based on changes/upgrades to existing cards" is still not correct, because there are a few changes to the legacy personal Premier card, they're just very small changes (mostly on the earnings chart side, plus explaining that the cert is changing from cat 1-5 to 25000 points max) compared to the changes on the upgraded cards,

So every Marriott card (that I've ever heard of people having*) had changes, but only the upgraded cards got 35000 point certs.

* Marriott put out chart a couple months back that showed some low-end Chase Marriott cards that I've never heard of anyone having, but which were not labeled as "new". Maybe these are cards that only existed for conversions, but no FTers bothered to convert? Anyway, I presume any such low-end cards never had free night certs to begin with, so there wouldn't be changes to that.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by sdsearch
But "based on changes/upgrades to existing cards" is still not correct, because there are a few changes to the legacy personal Premier card, they're just very small changes (mostly on the earnings chart side, plus explaining that the cert is changing from cat 1-5 to 25000 points max) compared to the changes on the upgraded cards,

So every Marriott card (that I've ever heard of people having*) had changes, but only the upgraded cards got 35000 point certs.

* Marriott put out chart a couple months back that showed some low-end Chase Marriott cards that I've never heard of anyone having, but which were not labeled as "new". Maybe these are cards that only existed for conversions, but no FTers bothered to convert? Anyway, I presume any such low-end cards never had free night certs to begin with, so there wouldn't be changes to that.
I give up. You win. You're right.

I'm trying to write a high-level summary and you're providing a detailed essay, which is fine. I won't try and compete. For the purposes of many multiple-card holders, and for me, just knowing the different cards can now be generally aligned (through offered changes/upgrades) in terms of points and benefits is enough. And I'll stick with that.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:35 am

i recently cancelled my Premier card. How do I know it's safe to reapply for the new promotional points? I have to check, but I'm pretty sure I just passed the 60 day window. The card still shows on my Chase login but on my Transunion report provided by Chase, it now says I have 2 accounts opened in the prior 2 years, when it used to say 3 a few weeks ago. Is this a sign that I'm now free to apply and receive the new bonus?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by mdosu
i recently cancelled my Premier card. How do I know it's safe to reapply for the new promotional points? I have to check, but I'm pretty sure I just passed the 60 day window. The card still shows on my Chase login but on my Transunion report provided by Chase, it now says I have 2 accounts opened in the prior 2 years, when it used to say 3 a few weeks ago. Is this a sign that I'm now free to apply and receive the new bonus?
The 60 day window is a farce (still not clear where this came from). As long as you are outside of the 2 yr window you're good to go. I cancelled my card and signed up for the new card 2 days later and am eligible for the 100k bonus.
CO-PLAT and mdosu like this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
...I then followed the instructions in the letter to see if any mention was made in the T & C. Here is what I found.

It's good to see that. I am overdue for the posting of my latest one night credit for $3000 spend and was concerned that this benefit had been discontinued after my recent card anniversary. I called today to ask about this and was told that the benefit is still there. I'll give it several more weeks before asking them to research my case. Maybe they are just behind.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian320
The 60 day window is a farce (still not clear where this came from). As long as you are outside of the 2 yr window you're good to go. I cancelled my card and signed up for the new card 2 days later and am eligible for the 100k bonus.
haha. Well because of this farce, I missed the 100k offers and now am reduced to 75k. Well, I'm going to apply now then. The 60-day window came from Chase customer service people. It was reported multiple times that we had to wait for 60 days. In any case I'm past my 60-days now.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mdosu
The real timing you have to be sure if is that it's been at least 2 full years since you earned a signup bonus on the Premier card you just cancelled. So you'd have to have had that Premier card somewhat over two years to be ready to go now. If you had it 3 years or longer there's no worries at all.

And even 4 accounts opened in the past 24 months would have been OK, so whether they count 2 or 3 shouldn't matter. Just make sure you were actually counting new accounts, not pulls/inquiries. Chase doesn't count pulls/inquiries, it looks over your actual credit report and counts the number of cards showing with an "opened on" date in the past 24 months.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian320
Yes, FWIW, both my husband and I met the 2 yr since bonus and 5/24 rules, we cancelled our cards on May 6th and applied for new cards 2-3 days later. We have both met spend and both already have the 100K bonus posted to our accounts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.