Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Cancel Marriott Chase now or wait and "upgrade" card in May?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2018, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Here's the link to see your upgrade offer:

https://www.chase.com/chasegreatrewards/catchall
Print Wikipost

Cancel Marriott Chase now or wait and "upgrade" card in May?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:44 pm

I need some advice on Marriott/SPG cards and this seems like the best spot for it...

I currently have the Legacy Marriott Visa and the SPG Personal card. I obviously don't really need both and seem to have missed the chance to upgrade my SPG Card to the Luxury (with an offer of bonus points) however I have received a Marriott upgrade offer for 50k with one transaction before EOY.

What are my best options? Upgrade the Marriott and cancel the SPG? I don't really want to lose the 3k/mo = 1 elite night option, but I also think it is probably a little less valuable without rollover since I'll probably be stretching to get to 75 nights yet hit 50 comfortably. Any suggestions or thoughts on options?

I can't sign up for the SPG Luxury separate and then cancel my original SPG, can I?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dblue
I can't sign up for the SPG Luxury separate and then cancel my original SPG, can I?
why not? As long as Amex wants to give you another card ... that is always an option. There is no guarantee like there never is one when applying for a card. But technically there is nothing wrong with that option.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:14 pm

OK -- thought there was some sort of restriction with the bonuses. Can I take the MR Upgrade bonus, then sign up for the Lux? That would exclude me from the 2nd bonus, no?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Just received my targeted 50K upgrade offer from the heritage Visa Premier card to the Premier Plus. Earlier this year, I might have been more likely to take the offer because of my (then) ongoing push to hit 2.0M/MM LT points. Since I made that before the August 1, 2018 date, I'm still more of a bigger fan of the $3K/night credit that the heritage card still accrues. Will wait for now.

David
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by DELee
Just received my targeted 50K upgrade offer from the heritage Visa Premier card to the Premier Plus. Earlier this year, I might have been more likely to take the offer because of my (then) ongoing push to hit 2.0M/MM LT points. Since I made that before the August 1, 2018 date, I'm still more of a bigger fan of the $3K/night credit that the heritage card still accrues. Will wait for now.

David
If you hit the 2MM already and will have LTPP going forward, why do the extra elite nights for spend matter? Just to get closer to the annual 50/75 choice awards?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by swag
If you hit the 2MM already and will have LTPP going forward, why do the extra elite nights for spend matter? Just to get closer to the annual 50/75 choice awards?
Exactly. Since they MR/SPG/MRS appear to keep some sort of annual night bonii, there's still value in the heritage Premier Visa card for me.

David
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by dblue
I currently have the Legacy Marriott Visa and the SPG Personal card. I obviously don't really need both and seem to have missed the chance to upgrade my SPG Card to the Luxury (with an offer of bonus points) however I have received a Marriott upgrade offer for 50k with one transaction before EOY.
FWIW, I was in the same position. I canceled the legacy Visa but am keeping (for now) the legacy SPG Amex. I don't need the EQN from the Visa, and I find other Visa cards have better travel benefits. I'm mostly keeping the Amex because I haven't decided what other Amex to replace it with yet.

I am regularly getting offers to apply for the new visa and the luxury Amex, but tbh the value proposition of all the cards just isn't really there for me anymore.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:38 am

If you cancel the visa wouldn’t it have made sense to do an upgrade offer first?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by swag
I've misplaced my original offer. Never saw the 50K offer, but hoping maybe I'm eligible. But the upgrade page shows nothing. I just called, and all the agent could do was to offer to re-mail me my offer. That's 3-5 business days, which is starting to get tight if I need to receive my new card and have first spend by 12/31.
Update... I got the promised mail but it was just a copy of the cardmember agreement. Ugh. Called back this morning and it went much better. Agent confirmed that I was eligible for the 50K upgrade (which I'm sure I never saw an email or mailer about), and that the annual fee that posted earlier this month on the old card would be fully refunded. Card should arrive in 3-5 business days, so I should be able to make that one required purchase prior to 12/31. Call took less than 6 minutes total.

Not sure why the upgrade page was only showing me errors, but I'm all set now.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 5:15 pm

15 elite night credit ?

I currently have Marriott Rewards Chase card. If I cancel that and apply for Boundless, will I still get the 15 elite credit nights or will I not get it because I already got that once with the current card?
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by sd_moving
I currently have Marriott Rewards Chase card. If I cancel that and apply for Boundless, will I still get the 15 elite credit nights or will I not get it because I already got that once with the current card?
You get a max of 15 elite nights/yr regardless of how many cards you have.
Brendan, dgreen12 and LF72 like this.
Old May 25, 2019, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Second of all, I hope you don't care much about the 1 elite night for every $3000 in spend. Because that doesn't seem to be there on the new card. (And you won't be likely be able to apply for the current card again once you get the new card.)
can anyone confirm if this is still the case with the old chase card....i'm still holding on to the old card but will probably get the new one towards the end of the year....in the meanwhile i just wanted to confirm if we still get 1 elite night for every $3k spend....
Old May 26, 2019, 6:53 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by Keyser
can anyone confirm if this is still the case with the old chase card....i'm still holding on to the old card but will probably get the new one towards the end of the year....in the meanwhile i just wanted to confirm if we still get 1 elite night for every $3k spend....
Yes you still get it...
Old May 27, 2019, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by t1c
Yes you still get it...
thanks....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.