Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Cancel Marriott Chase now or wait and "upgrade" card in May?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2018, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Here's the link to see your upgrade offer:

https://www.chase.com/chasegreatrewards/catchall
Print Wikipost

Cancel Marriott Chase now or wait and "upgrade" card in May?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:19 pm

Location: Atlanta is home, but 2 weeks a month in Europe, South America, and Asia
Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, ATT Unlimited Worldwide LTE, Global Entry, Petsmart Dog Dad
Hey gang-

Well, I am probably going to accept the 10K bonus and do the upgrade. Wondering about the timing with regard to free-night award. We just used our 2017-2018 free night a few weeks ago. What I can't seem to find is my exact card anniversary date. I looked on the Chase.com and well as Marriott.com sites and can't find it under Account or Activity on either one. I think it might be September. I'm assuming I should wait for the new free night award, then do the Upgrade? Will the free night award survive the card upgrade?

Thanks!

Kupe
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Kupe, just log into your Chase Marriott account & look at old statements to find in which month you were charged the AF in 2017. If your anniv date is in Sep., the AF was probably charged on Oct. 1, 2017. If so, I do recommend that you should wait for your new 25K cert. & 15 night credits toward 2019 status. Right after you get those, is the time to grab your 10K points by upgrading. And your cert after that, which will arrive in Sep. 2019 will be 35K.
OTOH, if you upgrade now, you forfeit the night credits and the 25K cert. You will have to wait till July 2019 for a (35K) free-night cert.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by kupe
Hey gang-

Well, I am probably going to accept the 10K bonus and do the upgrade. Wondering about the timing with regard to free-night award. We just used our 2017-2018 free night a few weeks ago. What I can't seem to find is my exact card anniversary date. I looked on the Chase.com and well as Marriott.com sites and can't find it under Account or Activity on either one. I think it might be September. I'm assuming I should wait for the new free night award, then do the Upgrade? Will the free night award survive the card upgrade?

Thanks!

Kupe
Kupe, I sent a secure message to Chase and they confirmed the anniversary date of my card. It does happen to coincide with my statement date. For instance my anniversary date was 2/7 and all my statements are from MM/07/YY - MM/06/YY. And just another check is my anniversary date per Chase agrees with the date on my credit report that shows this account was opened.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
According to View from the Wing, starting Aug 26, there will be new restrictions on receiving sign up bonuses, that look at your cards across companies. For example, you won't be able to earn a sign up bonus on the Chase Marriott cards if you are a current Amex Marriott/SPG card holder.

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...card-approval/
Old Jul 27, 2018, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by swag
According to View from the Wing, starting Aug 26, there will be new restrictions on receiving sign up bonuses, that look at your cards across companies. For example, you won't be able to earn a sign up bonus on the Chase Marriott cards if you are a current Amex Marriott/SPG card holder.

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...card-approval/
On the Chase Marriott business card application it already states:

This bonus is available to you as long as you have not received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the last 24 months. Please note effective 08/26/2018: You may not be eligible for the bonus if you hold, or have previously held, a Marriott International co-branded card issued by a United States credit card issuer. Click here opens overlayto see the specific eligibility conditions.
That window is closing soon.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 7:47 am

Do we have any idea if existing free night certs will remain cat. 1-5, or adopt the 25k point range, or will they bump up to 35k?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: MAR Lifetime Platinum, Delta Plat., IHG Spire Amb., Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Here's a question, do the night credits from the old card (1 per $3000 spend) count toward lifetime status? On my Marriott app, they are included in my total lifetime stays.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Milhous Gloriosus
Here's a question, do the night credits from the old card (1 per $3000 spend) count toward lifetime status? On my Marriott app, they are included in my total lifetime stays.
Yes. All nights you get from a Marriott credit card that gives them (15 annually, 1 per $3000 spend) count toward both annual nights and lifetime nights. In fact, I don't think there is any form of nights that count toward annual nights that don't count toward lifetime nights, even rollover nights (when they existed) counted toward lifetime nights AFAIK.

It's only in points that there is an exception, in that points transferred from SPG don't count toward lifetime points.
Milhous Gloriosus likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/SPG Plat
My anniversary date is Mid-Sept. Just confirming that if I upgrade now, I will still receive a cert in Mid-Sept?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
That's incorrect based on the interpretation of me and several others in this thread.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by cfacpamba
My anniversary date is Mid-Sept. Just confirming that if I upgrade now, I will still receive a cert in Mid-Sept?
The prevailing opinion seems to be that if you want to upgrade, to wait to upgrade until AFTER you receive your anniversary cert/nights.

Edit: I’m of the opinion that there’s not much point in upgrading for a weak offer (10-20k points). Either keep the old card to keep the night credit per $3k in spend benefit, or cancel then apply for the new card to get the larger bonus.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
Upgrading Marriott credit card & getting elite nights properly

Hi,

I currently have Marriott Rewards credit card and wish to upgrade it to the new Marriott Premier Plus credit card but at the same time want to get 15 elite nights in both 2018 and 2019. Do I understand it right that the right way to do this is to wait until 15 elite nights are posted for the old credit card then still in 2018 have the credit card upgraded to get the 15 elite nights in 2019 as well?

Thanks
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
So if I recently canceled the old MR Premier Visa about a week ago and I had that open for five years, and I currently hold an SPG Amex - I'm eligible for the bonus, right? This is the language effective until August 26th from chase.com:

Originally Posted by Chase
Eligibility for this product: The product is not available to either:
  • current cardmembers of the Marriott RewardsŪ Premier or Marriott RewardsŪ Premier Plus credit card, or
  • previous cardmembers of the Marriott Rewards Premier or Marriott Rewards Premier Plus credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 24 months.
If you are an existing Marriott Rewards Premier customer and would like this product, please call the number on the back of your card to see if you are eligible for an upgrade bonus.

I was looking to apply before Aug 26th so I could keep the SPG card and still get the current 75K MR point bonus for signup, but I'm not sure if there's any wait period between the old MR cancellation and applying for the new card to be eligible.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phltraveler
So if I recently canceled the old MR Premier Visa about a week ago and I had that open for five years, and I currently hold an SPG Amex - I'm eligible for the bonus, right? This is the language effective until August 26th from chase.com:

I was looking to apply before Aug 26th so I could keep the SPG card and still get the current 75K MR point bonus for signup, but I'm not sure if there's any wait period between the old MR cancellation and applying for the new card to be eligible.
There's no specific wait time. It's best to wait at least a few days to make sure the cancellation has filtered through their whole system (and that's the main point of waiting, to try to make sure that the invisible part of the system that will check whether you still have the card has been updated to say you no longer have the card).
phltraveler likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sjondorn
Hi,

I currently have Marriott Rewards credit card and wish to upgrade it to the new Marriott Premier Plus credit card but at the same time want to get 15 elite nights in both 2018 and 2019. Do I understand it right that the right way to do this is to wait until 15 elite nights are posted for the old credit card then still in 2018 have the credit card upgraded to get the 15 elite nights in 2019 as well?

Thanks
Yes, that would seem safest.

The new card will apparently give 15 elite nights around the start of each calendar year, so it's unclear if you'll get 15 elite nights in 2018 if you upgrade before you get them from the old card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.