Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Cancel Marriott Chase now or wait and "upgrade" card in May?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2018, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Here's the link to see your upgrade offer:

https://www.chase.com/chasegreatrewards/catchall
Print Wikipost

Cancel Marriott Chase now or wait and "upgrade" card in May?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:07 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Well I'm a little concerned. I had forgotten Chase shows you your points right away, and my "anything" purchase did register 2x - however, and this is the troubling part, it shows I got a 10,000 point bonus - it's supposed to be 50K! Anyone know what the issue might be?
Whoa, my husband's account shows the same. That's neither the mailed offer he got nor the online one. Fortunately, I took a screen shot of the online one but I hope we don't have to fight for it.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Whoa, my husband's account shows the same. That's neither the mailed offer he got nor the online one. Fortunately, I took a screen shot of the online one but I hope we don't have to fight for it.
wow, that's bad behavior from Chase.
Once my certificate and 15 nights posted I cancelled the card ... no sense in keeping both the Amex and the Chase card IMO and I was never impressed with the Chase customer service.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 2:49 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Well I'm a little concerned. I had forgotten Chase shows you your points right away, and my "anything" purchase did register 2x - however, and this is the troubling part, it shows I got a 10,000 point bonus - it's supposed to be 50K! Anyone know what the issue might be?
Several people upthread have reported that bonuses over 10,000 post in two increments. 10,000 at the qualifying purchase, the balance at the next statement.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 2:50 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Can anyone confirm that the new benefits kicked in in 4 business days, as it says on the upgrade offer? It's been a week for me, I have made a purchase, but I want to make sure the points have gone from 1x to 2x for "anything" before putting a pricey item on this card. I have not yet received my new card.
Upgraded my wife's card early in the process and she started earning the double points on a purchase we made the day after the upgrade. I think the 4 days must be their worst case scenario.

If you log into Chase and look at the purchase it will tell you how many points were awarded.

Last edited by Michilander; Oct 24, 2018 at 2:52 am Reason: afterthought
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Thanks, Michilander, for both DPs.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Originally Posted by JBord
. . .

I think your increase is only $10, if you're paying $85/year currently like I am.

I might be looking at it too simply, but it seems to boil down to this for your $10:
- XX,000 bonus points . . .
- More points per purchase on the new card (this could be significant depending on your spend)
- Free night cert is one level higher on the new card . . .
- Lose the elite night per each $3,000 spent (this could be significant depending on your spend)

. . .
So for those of us who have not been following this thread every day, has JBord identified all of the relevant considerations in upgrading the Marriott credit card other than the issue of the timing of when the 15 nights and certificate post?

It seems to me that if your next anniversary date falls in 2019 -- your decision boils down to whether the up-front bonus and the annual higher-category-free-night certificate offsets the $10 annual fee increase and giving up the elite night per $3k spend. Am I missing anything else important? (And this ignores the higher earning rate of the new card.)
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:56 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
My husband received an offer in the mail for 20K. On logging into his account, he was offered 50K. He accepted it.
Same for my wife. Offered. Accepted.

Anyway, I'm going to call tomorrow and try some verbal arm twisting.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, MR LTP, AA EP, UA Silver
Father was originally offered 10K to upgrade. Offer recently increased to 50K which he is going to accept in mid-December after waiting to see if the offer increases again.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 5:05 pm

I recently upgraded on the 50,000 pt offer. I just got my new card in the mail, along with the accompanying literature their lawyers wrote.

I do NOT see anywhere that says NO foreign transaction fees are still a perk of the new card, as it was with the old card.

Does anyone know?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:42 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by LedgeT
Father was originally offered 10K to upgrade. Offer recently increased to 50K which he is going to accept in mid-December after waiting to see if the offer increases again.
What's the theory on why Chase/Marriott is so eager to encourage upgrades? Paying 50k MRs for a measly $10+ AF? I don't get it.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RNE
What's the theory on why Chase/Marriott is so eager to encourage upgrades? Paying 50k MRs for a measly $10+ AF? I don't get it.
Maybe they want to discontinue the old card, or at least remove resources from it? And/or maybe the benefits on the new card cost them less than the benefits on the old card (because of different compensation rates from Marriott)? And/or maybe they see a pattern of more usage with the new card than the old card, and they're hoping that once you upgrade you'll use it more?

There's no one "theory", there are so many possibilities, it's unclear clear which one(s) Chase is using (and of course, it could be some combination of things we've thought of with things we haven't thought of).
RNE likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
For the experts, what are the pros and cons of upgrading to the new Marriott credit card? My previous attempt at getting an answer to this question has gained no traction.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle
For the experts, what are the pros and cons of upgrading to the new Marriott credit card? My previous attempt at getting an answer to this question has gained no traction.
I am no expert, but I can tell you why the upgrade made sense in my situation.

50K MR points for upgrading
1 additional point on Marriott spending
Annual night certificate worth 35K instead of 25K
The additional 10.00 annual fee is worth this to me,but YMMV

I am already LTPP,so do not need the elite nights per 3K spending that the old version offered. Those who are working toward a higher status could find the old card more beneficial to them.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by freeflyin

I am already LTPP,so do not need the elite nights per 3K spending that the old version offered. Those who are working toward a higher status could find the old card more beneficial to them.
That is the list of known benefits. To me it was tipped because where my free night with the old card fell - I had just gotten it a couple of months before, so waiting until the anniversary of the new card would only be a 14 month or so wait - not bad. Had my anniversary for my old card been in a month or two, I would not have made the switch, because that would have been an almost 2 year wait for the new certificate, and I would not have been willing to do that.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle
Originally Posted by freeflyin

I think there's also a couple non-Marriott benefits that the old card has that the new card doesn't have (in the category of general card benefits that Chase it taking away on all new cards, but leaving on old cards for a while longer). I don't tend use benefits such a purchase protection (that may or may not be one of them), especially on a card I almost only use at hotels, so I didn't pay attention closely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.