Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

SPECULATION: Is a Points Devaluation Coming In August?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPECULATION: Is a Points Devaluation Coming In August?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by GUWonder

Let’s not be like ostriches burying their head in the sand, as we ought to know that Marriott needs to try to make the “loyalty” program operations more profitable for itself and will try to do so at the expense of its customers too. In other words, devaluation for customers in the main.
Yeah, time to wake up Marriott side members. Huge devalue and a double whammy this year with the annual category creep just passed. If a middle of the road (and hard to find/use) Cat 5 was 25k and now 35k, how is this not huge? With bigger than 5,000 gaps between the levels? Watch for all RC's to be Cat 8, Marriott existing Cat 9's to go to Cat 7 or 8 for a year then creep right up again.

Good thing as the average "MR elite will earn 20% more points and the average SPG elite 67%" per the doublespeak presentation. Going to need them. But it massively devalued any existing point balances...
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Yes, if I assume everything will be massively devalued, based on nothing, then it's a massive devaluation!!!!

We don't need no stinkin' facts!!!
Kiara likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
And you know this for sure based on .....?
Common sense and logic. Why would Marriott downgrade a hotel that's a cat 8/9 (40/45k in old program) all the way down to a cat 5 (35k) in the new program. Their cat 8/9s are the highest categories they have (outside of RC tiers) so it stands to reason that they will at least be a 6, 7, or even an 8 in the new program.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by CPRich
Yes, if I assume everything will be massively devalued, based on nothing, then it's a massive devaluation!!!!

We don't need no stinkin' facts!!!
In the absence of facts, its all speculation. Facts could have been released today but they chose not to. For what reason? Certainly the math was done already. Maybe saving it for another Facebook live event? Did anyone else notice the silence when they expected applause and general lack of crowd reaction?

Can you point to a single time in history where a program "enhancement" was a net positive to the program as a whole? Usually just a shell game and misdirection, touting the "good" and quietly downplaying the "bad".
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:32 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by tth6133
Ritz-Carlton is also folded into the new categories, so the 100k per night room will most likely be a Ritz or St. Regis in peak season.
And some Luxury Collection properties like Gritti Palace Venice, Al Maha Dubai (even more since all suite), Prince de Galles Paris, President Wilson Geneva, Mystique Santorini, The Chatwal NYC, etc...

And perhaps even a few Design Hotel properties like Gramercy Park Hotel NYC, Kenoa Brazil, etc.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Based on the details so far revealed about the new combined program, the sky is most definitely not falling. So while I suspect we will see some overall upward creep in award prices when properties are assigned to new categories, I don't see a "massive devaluation" coming. Moreover, the increased elite bonuses (75% vs. 50% for current MR Plats) will help to offset any increase in award rates.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:35 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Duke787
I wonder what comes of SPG properties that currently require over 35k SPG (St. Regis Bora Bora, St. Regis Maldives, etc.) -- if they become category 8, they become a good deal (even at peak category 8 pricing). And are they category 7 in the interim (which would be a real steal at just 20k SPG)
Nope. Those are all-suite “limited participation” SPG properties, so they require 2-3x the points based on category. They will end up being 200,000-300,000 points PER NIGHT when redemptions are even available. You usually can’t get into those for less than 60,000 SPG points per night now (with special promos), and usually are 75,000-105,000 points per night now.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Hahaha...sounds like you work for Fox News or a tabloid newspaper. The hotels have not even been assigned categories yet. Calm down.
you mean CNN...
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:02 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
For SPGers this is business as usual, indeed the top of the top redemptions fall for a few months pending the introduction of the new top category and seasonal pricing.

For us Marriotteers it’s likely to be a sadder story, though I’m not with the “blink and you’ll see the Times Sq Marquis at 100k per night” sky is falling down types. Like SPG I expect the top category to be reserved for the very top brands but there’s no point in denying it, pressure has been building in New York, London and Paris and they will creep up. Even so I don’t expect to see the Times Sq Marquis hit 100k as a result of this. There’s no doubt though that 3 prices for the same category according to seasonal demands (and who defines that, Marriott for the program or each property for itself?) will make redemption more opaque, but overall with more choices and redeeming on the route less travelled I still see Marriott as being more likely than not worth the effort...

More perspective will be granted us in August. Don’t lets lose it now - though I do think this is a great time to redeem in London, Paris and NYC!
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Long term, bad.
Some arbitrage to be had on the cat 6 and 7 SPG hotels that aren’t double points.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Nope. Those are all-suite “limited participation” SPG properties, so they require 2-3x the points based on category. They will end up being 200,000-300,000 points PER NIGHT when redemptions are even available. You usually can’t get into those for less than 60,000 SPG points per night now (with special promos), and usually are 75,000-105,000 points per night now.
I know they are now but I don't see any special categories carved out above 8 and from the new website they specifically reference bungalows (where else are those in the system other than those two properties):

"Our new unified Award Chart will offer you more than 6,500 hotels across all 29 participating brands — all with no blackout dates. Redeem for overwater bungalows, former palaces and so much more."
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Program has basically been gutted a la Hilton, but the bloggers continue to focus on a few "enhancements" for the top tier. 45k rooms in London/NYC will now become 100k.

I predict mass attrition from those of us who stay at JW, Westin, etc. to Hyatt. People who like Fairfield & Courtyard will be fine, but nobody is going to spend $$$ to stay at Marriott when they can spend the same $$$ at Hyatt and earn points that can be used for 30k at Park Hyatt Tokyo instead of 100k at Marriott NY.

This also effectively guts the Amex SPG card as each $1 spend is now worth 2 points (formerly 3 points).

Yes, I will be happy to have a few guaranteed suite upgrades, but that's a very small cherry on top of a **** pie.

Goodbye Marriott!!
Old Apr 16, 2018, 6:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Duke787
I know they are now but I don't see any special categories carved out above 8 and from the new website they specifically reference bungalows (where else are those in the system other than those two properties):

"Our new unified Award Chart will offer you more than 6,500 hotels across all 29 participating brands — all with no blackout dates. Redeem for overwater bungalows, former palaces and so much more."
There were no special categories carved out for those properties in the SPG program either! Just the disclaimer under the Category 1-7 property lists and peak/non-peak descriptions at https://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/account/starpoints/categories/popup.html?spgCategoryCode=7&language=en_US

PLEASE NOTE: Free Night Awards at the following locations require higher Starpoint redemption amounts either because the hotel does not have standard rooms or the standard rooms it offers have a mandatory Full Board requirement in peak seasons: St. Regis Resort Bora Bora, and Le Méridien Bora Bora, Bora Bora, French Polynesia; W Maldives, Maldives; Sunset Key Guest Cottages, A Westin Resort, Key West, Florida; Mystique, Santorini, Greece; Pine Cliff Residences, Albuferia, Portugal; and Cala Di Volpe, Hotel Pitrizza, and Hotel Romazzino, Porto Cervo, Italy. The minimum number of Starpoints required for a free night at The Resort at Singer Island, a Category 5 property, ranges from 24,000 to 64,000 Starpoints; the minimum number of Starpoints required for a free night at the Pine Cliff Residences, which is a Category 6 hotel, is 40,000 to 100,000 Starpoints; and the minimum number of Starpoints required for a free night at the other listed properties, which are all Category 7 properties, ranges from 60,000 to 140,000 Starpoints depending on the hotel, its category, its room types, the time of year, and/or its mandatory requirements. Redemptions at these hotels must be booked through your local customer contact center.
Starwood didn’t want to create a new category for those, because it looks bad. I’m sure Marriott is going to do the same thing to avoid it looking bad!
Old Apr 16, 2018, 6:59 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by OU812
Wow! Just Wow. Levels start at 5000 points per night and go up to 100,000 points per night with standard, off-peak and peak categories. Peak and Off-Peak starts in 2019! Marriott gives true no Blackout. Details here! Travel Packages are gone too!
I've seen absolutely nothing to indicate that travel packages are going away. In fact, actual reporters indicate the opposite. Do you have a source?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 7:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
I've seen absolutely nothing to indicate that travel packages are going away. In fact, actual reporters indicate the opposite. Do you have a source?
Travel packages aren’t going away. There are just some people freaking out needlessly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.