Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
This thread (post #5 from Marriott Rewards Insider) has the official announcement of changes effective later in 2018.

An earlier, speculative discussion appears in the following closed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...tus-tiers.html
Print Wikipost

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by CJKatl
The difference between the new Plat and the new LTPP benefits is 25% bonus and the 48 hour room availability. If the possibility of not having those two thing means you do not "have any incentive to stay at MR" then it would be best to plan your stays elsewhere. Why take a chance?
48 Hour availability is useless to me

In decades of traveling, I've never been able to get that benefit to work at any chain. It's always a "special event" so in my experience, this is useless; factor in the times that I actually need this benefit are so far and few between, its a who cares benefit anyway

25% bonus is always nice but not enough to make me stay somewhere. it's the frosting on the cake.

The only reason I want LTPP [over LTP] is the chance at better rooms. That and if they ever dilute the LTP benefit - specifically lounge access, hoepfully LTPP will still keep lounge access.

that said and done, I guess i will find out in August if I'm LTP or LTPP - nothing a phone call or two won't fix I guess
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: Bonvoy-lifeime Titanium,Amex Plat
As of this moment, I have <2M MR points there fore I am not LTP [current]/LTPP[post August]. I do have >750 nights in MR alone and >10 Years at Plat Elite status in MR alone. However that gets me MR LT Gold [current program] yet the new criteria will allow me to become MR LTPP [new combined program].

I am in a similar situation except that I have 8 years as Marriott earned Plat (should be 9 by the end of the year) and 3 as SPG earned Plat along with over 750 Marriott nights. The SPG thread seems to have lots more coverage that my situation would earn me LTPP by Jan 1, 2019. Marriott forum does not seem to have as much mention of such cases. Am I missing anything? Any circumstance under which I will not be LTPP on Jan 1, 2019. I am not concerned about waiting until Jan 1 vs. getting it in August.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
With multiple threads covering the same topic its difficult at best to know if this has been answered but since this question sort of refers to what I'm going to ask, I'll post this right here

As of this moment, I have <2M MR points there fore I am not LTP [current]/LTPP[post August]. I do have >750 nights in MR alone and >10 Years at Plat Elite status in MR alone. However that gets me MR LT Gold [current program] yet the new criteria will allow me to become MR LTPP [new combined program].

I see all the notifications that I will be "notified" in Jan 2019 that I'll have the new program LTPP status.

My question is - as far as status goes from the changeover date [August XX, 2018] thru the notification date [Jan XX, 2019] will my stays reflect my current LT Gold status OR the new LTPP status during this transition window period of Aug - Jan?

It actually makes a difference as to what chains [& even MR hotels] I stay at during this transition period. If I am not going to be LTPP, then I don't have any incentive [barring unknown promo's] to stay at MR unless it is a property that provides good MR Gold [current]/MR Plat [post august] benefits.
Just like with all status tiers, the benefits kick in AFTER the threshold event has posted to your account. Given that event, in your case, won't be until sometime in Jan '19, that's when you will be bestowed LTPP and benefits begin. I would not expect them to backdate it to August.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
48 Hour availability is useless to me

In decades of traveling, I've never been able to get that benefit to work at any chain
I use it about twice a year and only once had an issue. Sometimes it is extremely expensive, like $999 for a night at the East Side Marriott in NY for 11/10, but often the only reason I knew was the website used to clearly say there was only Plat availability.

The only time I had a problem was a last minute PIT Ren reservation. I was speaking for a group but was a last minute substitute and was too late to get in on their block. I called Marriott and had to push to get the reservation. There was no official blackout so I asked to speak with a manager who told the phone agent she was wrong and should make the reservation. The phone agent put in some nasty messages and said no matter what the rate should not be lowered. When I checked in it turned out the hotel was not full. The front desk agent told me about the notes and lowered by rate despite what the agent said. And gave me an UG to a two room suite to boot.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Just like with all status tiers, the benefits kick in AFTER the threshold event has posted to your account. Given that event, in your case, won't be until sometime in Jan '19, that's when you will be bestowed LTPP and benefits begin. I would not expect them to backdate it to August.
While you are likely correct, I would have no problem calling Marriott after Jan pointing to all my stays and arguing that but for Marriott IT's inability to update to the correct status, thus having to wait to Jan, you would have had the extra 25% bonus. IME they may give it as an extra "customer relations" adjustment. It is not like you could lose anything, so why not ask?
I know the big concern is UGs but I do not see the benefit in Marriott giving UG priority to a level of mostly former travelers, especially when it will no longer be the status given to new top tier LTers. UG priority was never given to MR PPs, nothing was, and the fear that will change seems unfounded, as does the fear that once the status is closed Marriott is going to shower all sorts of magnificent benefits on those who made the cut. IMO creating LTPP allowed Marriott to let present MR LTPs feel like they were not being collapsed into LTG by giving us a meaningless title. It is like instead of being Grand Poobahs we are Supreme Grand Poobahs but with no real differences between the levels but for the name.

Marriott will want to encourage present Ps to become LTPs. They cannot do that by giving additional benefits to a closed level those people can never achieve. They will want to show presently active members that achieving LTP will put them at the top of the heap, not always at second best.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by Retired FF

I am in a similar situation except that I have 8 years as Marriott earned Plat (should be 9 by the end of the year) and 3 as SPG earned Plat along with over 750 Marriott nights. The SPG thread seems to have lots more coverage that my situation would earn me LTPP by Jan 1, 2019. Marriott forum does not seem to have as much mention of such cases. Am I missing anything? Any circumstance under which I will not be LTPP on Jan 1, 2019. I am not concerned about waiting until Jan 1 vs. getting it in August.
I also have 9 YRs Plat at SPG along with a boatload of nights. So using this current formula for granting LTPP I feel pretty confident. What I'm trying to do is squeeze 5 extra months [Aug - Dec 2018] as a LTPP as opposed to the LTP I will be during this same window [since I'm LTG in the current MR system].

As far as what I want out of these tiers

1. Lounge access [check under both LTP & LTPP]
2. Room upgrades [I presume it is better as a LTPP vs LTP]
3. bonus points [bonus pts are nice but I don't really make many decisions based on bonus points]
4. Future dilution - the higher up the food chain, the better I weather future dilutions of benefits
Old Jun 1, 2018, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
While you are likely correct, I would have no problem calling Marriott after Jan pointing to all my stays and arguing that but for Marriott IT's inability to update to the correct status, thus having to wait to Jan, you would have had the extra 25% bonus. IME they may give it as an extra "customer relations" adjustment. It is not like you could lose anything, so why not ask?
I know the big concern is UGs but I do not see the benefit in Marriott giving UG priority to a level of mostly former travelers, especially when it will no longer be the status given to new top tier LTers. UG priority was never given to MR PPs, nothing was, and the fear that will change seems unfounded, as does the fear that once the status is closed Marriott is going to shower all sorts of magnificent benefits on those who made the cut. IMO creating LTPP allowed Marriott to let present MR LTPs feel like they were not being collapsed into LTG by giving us a meaningless title. It is like instead of being Grand Poobahs we are Supreme Grand Poobahs but with no real differences between the levels but for the name.

Marriott will want to encourage present Ps to become LTPs. They cannot do that by giving additional benefits to a closed level those people can never achieve. They will want to show presently active members that achieving LTP will put them at the top of the heap, not always at second best.
One theme I see throughout these posts is the apparent fear that all brands will start acting as Marriott brands. I have been top tier in four different programs on one point. The treatment at SPGs always exceeded what I saw at the other three, especially MR. I know there is effort being put forth to align the brands, but I suspect/hope some of the service delivery remains with legacy SPG brands. I'm just happy my massive travel days are behind me.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Yesterday's email stated that if you achieve 750 nights and 2 Million points by 12/31/2018, you would be grandfathered into LTPP. My wife is at around 470 nights and 1.55 Million and on track to achieve the 500 nights and 1.6 Million milestone by 12/31/2018 (but not by 8/1/2018) which would have given her LT Gold in the current program (and which will maps to the LT Platinum level in the new program). However yesterday's email did not talk about the lower down levels, just Platinum.

Can I safely assume that all the current LT levels are available to be achieved by 12/31 and not just the current LT Plat level. The email yesterday wasnt clear.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by crazyhorse
Yesterday's email stated that if you achieve 750 nights and 2 Million points by 12/31/2018, you would be grandfathered into LTPP. .
Sorry if this has been asked and answered...LARGE thread I didn't get this email...

This is the first place I've read a clear answer to my question so want to double check. Right now, if I don't do anything unusual, I will have 740 nights and 2M+ points on Aug 1. I will have 750 by the end of the year, but NOT 10 Platinum years.

Depending on how you read the many fuzzy statements, I either have until Aug 1 or Dec 31 to get to 750/2M and make the OLD MR LTP and then get LTPP. Which is it? Can't make the 10 years -- but could make the 750 nights by August if I stretched it. If the email is indeed clear on this point, please PM me a copy! If you have a link with a clear answer, that would help too! Again SORRY if I am catching up...

PS I have 35 SPG nights if that matters.

Last edited by orca15; Jun 1, 2018 at 4:30 pm
Old Jun 1, 2018, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by orca15
I will have 740 nights and 2M+ points on Aug 1. I will have 750 by the end of the year, but NOT 10 years.
You will be LTPP.

The members.Marriott site states:
You can also qualify for Lifetime status via the existing criteria for Rewards and SPG through December 31, 2018.
Suppose there was no merger and you were a member of MR. By the end of the year you would be LTP under the rules, which are the old existing rules. Under the old MR rules, years at status do not matter so as long as you qualify with only Marriott issued nights and Marriott issued points. You are good. It is only if you need the SPG nights to be considered that the years at status would matter.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 4:34 pm

You will be LTPP.

The members.Marriott site states:

Suppose there was no merger and you were a member of MR, By the end of the year you would be LTP under the rules, which are the old existing rules. Under the old MR rules, years at status do not matter so as long as you qualify with only Marriott issued nights and Marriott issued points. You are good.
Thanks, CJ, and I read that, but the cynic would say that this only means I can make LTP by Dec. Nowhere have I seen that LTP will grandfather to LTPP after August, which is the key point. So we need two facts...I can make OLD LTP by Dec (proven) and OLD LTP->LTPP between August and Dec, not just Aug 1.

Love it if you're right, but cynical...
Old Jun 1, 2018, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by orca15
Thanks, CJ, and I read that, but the cynic would say that this only means I can make LTP by Dec. Nowhere have I seen that LTP will grandfather to LTPP after August, which is the key point. So we need two facts...I can make OLD LTP by Dec (proven) and OLD LTP->LTPP between August and Dec, not just Aug 1.

Love it if you're right, but cynical...
You have until the end of this calendar year.

Here is the official vetted answer from the company via the Starwood Lurker from the official Wiki on the SPG board:
Do we have until December 31, 2018, or only August 1 to qualify as lifetime platinum in the current Marriott Rewards program to be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier?
In August, when members combine Rewards and SPG accounts, their lifetime nights across both programs count toward Lifetime Elite status in the new combined program. To be included in at previous thresholds for Rewards or SPG, members will have until December 31, 2018, to complete stays in order to achieve the Lifetime Elite status. <added by Starwood Lurker 18May18>
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold

The only reason I want LTPP [over LTP] is the chance at better rooms. That and if they ever dilute the LTP benefit - specifically lounge access, hoepfully LTPP will still keep lounge access.
But if you're currently LT Gold, then you will become LT Plat in the new program in August. So you'll essentially have the same status as you have now. Do you not have "incentive" to stay at MR properties now?
Old Jun 2, 2018, 7:10 am

You have until the end of this calendar year.

Here is the official vetted answer from the company via the Starwood Lurker from the official Wiki on the SPG board:
Again, CJ, I appreciate your help, but I'm still stuck on this.

I saw the Lurker's response as well, but it literally just says the first half of the answer- that you have until Dec 31 to complete the old LTP.

members will have until December 31, 2018, to complete stays in order to achieve the Lifetime Elite status

Still doesn't say that that will transfer over to LTPP after August. You could ASSUME this based on the fact that this was the question asked, but IMO the Lurker didn't respond to the question.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by X-ON
Anybody have any insights if the Elite Nights earning rate for Marriott Executive Apartments of one Elite night credit for every three nights stayed will remain in the new program?
It has not been mentioned and will likely stay in the new program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.