FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August
Old Jun 1, 2018, 9:27 am
RogerD408
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by CJKatl
While you are likely correct, I would have no problem calling Marriott after Jan pointing to all my stays and arguing that but for Marriott IT's inability to update to the correct status, thus having to wait to Jan, you would have had the extra 25% bonus. IME they may give it as an extra "customer relations" adjustment. It is not like you could lose anything, so why not ask?
I know the big concern is UGs but I do not see the benefit in Marriott giving UG priority to a level of mostly former travelers, especially when it will no longer be the status given to new top tier LTers. UG priority was never given to MR PPs, nothing was, and the fear that will change seems unfounded, as does the fear that once the status is closed Marriott is going to shower all sorts of magnificent benefits on those who made the cut. IMO creating LTPP allowed Marriott to let present MR LTPs feel like they were not being collapsed into LTG by giving us a meaningless title. It is like instead of being Grand Poobahs we are Supreme Grand Poobahs but with no real differences between the levels but for the name.

Marriott will want to encourage present Ps to become LTPs. They cannot do that by giving additional benefits to a closed level those people can never achieve. They will want to show presently active members that achieving LTP will put them at the top of the heap, not always at second best.
One theme I see throughout these posts is the apparent fear that all brands will start acting as Marriott brands. I have been top tier in four different programs on one point. The treatment at SPGs always exceeded what I saw at the other three, especially MR. I know there is effort being put forth to align the brands, but I suspect/hope some of the service delivery remains with legacy SPG brands. I'm just happy my massive travel days are behind me.