Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MSPeconomist
In addition to the OP, see posts 70 and 121 for "information". Also, see post 1402 in the sticky merger thread in the Starwood forum which summarizes the information posted by OMAAT. [VFTW also had a similar discussion yesterday.]

Post 434 has a summary of qualification requirements for Marriott LTP in various periods.
Print Wikipost

Leaked New Combined Marriott / SPG Status Tiers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Five tiers? Good lord. I was hoping things would be simplified a bit. While we're at it, why not a sixth "Extra Superior Honored Guest" tier too.
GUWonder, cawhite, drron and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by OhDoctor
Five tiers? Good lord. I was hoping things would be simplified a bit. While we're at it, why not a sixth "Extra Superior Honored Guest" tier too.
Not uncommon...pros, it allows different levels from the two programs to be brought in...cons, allows for the leveling that we may see here w/Gold.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Will the credit card EQN still count?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Will the credit card EQN still count?
Would be shocked if it didn't:
1. Marriott is the bigger / legacy program this is likely folding in to, and there is history there
2. It's probably a big driver for consumers to get the CC and spend on it...Chase wouldn't be happy if they ditched it
3. If Plat is the minimum for lounge access, it makes sense...15 nights is a down payment on 50, but a lot of BiB is still needed
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Agree. How to qualify for next year has not only been announced, but people have been working towards next year's status under those rules. It seems more likely that the new program parameters will be announced in August for implementation starting Jan 1.
#speculation
Match everyone to the new membership tiers, valid till end of 2018 (or whenever the membership year would end), based on current status:

MR PP and SPG AMB - New AMB (100% bonus?, ambassador)
MR Plat and SPG Plat75 - New PP (75% bonus, my24, unlimited comp suite upgrade if available*)
MR Gold and SPG Plat - New Plat (50% bonus, club lounge access, X suite night awards*)
SPG Gold - New Gold (25% bonus, breakfast, 4pm late check out)
MR Silver - New Silver (10% bonus, 2pm late check out)

*Unlimited suite upgrade could be offered to new Plats, in this case I reckon new PPs would receive guaranteed suite night award ala Hyatt upgrade certs.

To solve the issue of having to honour current re qualification requirements (SPG stay based), they could offer the following for next membership year:

SPG 25 stay Plat - New Plat
SPG 10 stay Gold - New Gold
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Ambassaror at 100night and $20k spending.... i guess Marriott dont want members stays at moxys for 100 nights and get the ambassador service

I still wondering why Marriott never introduce $ based qualifications for their loyalty programs given that they now have more luxury brands in their portfolio.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:00 am

[QUOTE=C17PSGR;29619808] Not quite. On the SPG side, my impression is there are a lot of low night plats. One could be a plat in SPG with 25 nights, which might account for their view that they are being treated as a VIP for what those of us on the Marriott side think is routine./QUOTE]

It wasn't just Starwood that had 25 stays/nights as a standard top tier marker- Hyatt also used it for many years. Hilton Diamond is only 30 stays. The leap from 25 to 50 is huge and will be hard for loyalists to handle with heavy devaluation - especially for those with many single night stays who are already lifetime gold and well on the way to lifetime platinum (like me).

Last edited by joanek; Apr 9, 2018 at 11:56 am
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Talking

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Would be shocked if it didn't:
1. Marriott is the bigger / legacy program this is likely folding in to, and there is history there
2. It's probably a big driver for consumers to get the CC and spend on it...Chase wouldn't be happy if they ditched it
3. If Plat is the minimum for lounge access, it makes sense...15 nights is a down payment on 50, but a lot of BiB is still needed
Whats interesting to me as a LT Gold & if B/F is limited to Plat and above...

MR Lifetime Gold was based on a 50 night qualification

So current LTG's have all qualified on this 50 night limit
Yes it includes the gimmicks like roll over nights, CC nights etc but none the less that applied to the current Plat level as well.

So as a LTG I do feel a bit shortchanged "IF" that is the current free BF threshold. OTOH, I don't need that many more points for LTP either. So once I get there, I don't mind throwing the rest of the LTG's under the bus
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I'm wondering if they will consider using combined Marriott and Starwood nights and stays this year toward next year status? Or, whether they will allow SPG plats to continue as platinum for next year as they are changing the rules in the middle of the game so to speak?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jclia
#speculation
Match everyone to the new membership tiers, valid till end of 2018 (or whenever the membership year would end), based on current status:

MR PP and SPG AMB - New AMB (100% bonus?, ambassador)
MR Plat and SPG Plat75 - New PP (75% bonus, my24, unlimited comp suite upgrade if available*)
MR Gold and SPG Plat - New Plat (50% bonus, club lounge access, X suite night awards*)
SPG Gold - New Gold (25% bonus, breakfast, 4pm late check out)
MR Silver - New Silver (10% bonus, 2pm late check out)

*Unlimited suite upgrade could be offered to new Plats, in this case I reckon new PPs would receive guaranteed suite night award ala Hyatt upgrade certs.

To solve the issue of having to honour current re qualification requirements (SPG stay based), they could offer the following for next membership year:

SPG 25 stay Plat - New Plat
SPG 10 stay Gold - New Gold
Makes sense overall.

Though I think most SPG loyals are resigned to the Stay qualification system going away entirely...a by-product of a much smaller property footprint.
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
If Marriott could introduce multiple room (3 max) night credit then the new qualifications would not be soo hard for SPGers
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:16 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Or, whether they will allow SPG plats to continue as platinum for next year as they are changing the rules in the middle of the game so to speak?
I assume you specifically mean those who qualify this year via 25 stays rather than 50 nights. I think it would be suicidal of them not to do so.
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:18 am

Didn't they say at some point last year that the programs won't merge until 2019?
Maybe my memory is off...
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:22 am

Any word on how SPG points will be converted into MR points? Will it be at the current 3x ratio?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:22 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by agjil
Didn't they say at some point last year that the programs won't merge until 2019?
Maybe my memory is off...
Correct. Thus, I would assume they will roll this, or whatever the new program is, out in August to begin Jan 1. I would also assume that while they may adopt the new nomenclature, they will also give those who qualify for Plat with 25 SPG nights the Platinum equivalents next year though requiring whatever the new criteria is for the 2020 qualification which starts Jan 1 2019.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.