Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott "Fresh Bites" Room Service

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2017, 1:00 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
The whole reason that the tip is pre-included in the first place is because of insufferable nitpickers. So to tell the waiter that you're an insufferable nitpicker isn't really going to impress them.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Price is likely not a consideration in whether one orders room service. Even with a small amount saved, room service is a convenience I will order when pressed for time, not something I'll consider based on price. Quality, selection and price will always be better elsewhere. I'd rather see hotels up the quality and selection than offer me money off
So you don't think if the quality and selection is improved, that the price would increase (and probably by a higher percentage)?

Case in point, Fresh Bites. Most seem to say the quality has declined, yet the price has stayed the same.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Made a mistake a in a rush took Fresh Bites at the Boston Marriott Copley Place. Not a mistake I will make again with so many alternatives available in the skywalk.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by GoPhils
So you don't think if the quality and selection is improved, that the price would increase (and probably by a higher percentage)?

Case in point, Fresh Bites. Most seem to say the quality has declined, yet the price has stayed the same.
Even if the price went up, hotels might see an uptick in room service sales if there was decent quality and better selection. Room service isn't something that is driven primarily by price. It's a premium, luxury convenience item. While someone might think the price is ridiculous for what you get, nobody is making a decision to save money by using room service.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 5:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Even if the price went up, hotels might see an uptick in room service sales if there was decent quality and better selection. Room service isn't something that is driven primarily by price. It's a premium, luxury convenience item. While someone might think the price is ridiculous for what you get, nobody is making a decision to save money by using room service.
Exactly. If the price of the room service food is about the same as the restaurant I'll gladly pay the delivery charge and tip for the luxury of eating dinner in my underwear in bed.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Exactly. If the price of the room service food is about the same as the restaurant I'll gladly pay the delivery charge and tip for the luxury of eating dinner in my underwear in bed.
TMI That said +1. Some nights I am totally beat and just don't want to go out for dinner nor deal with figuring out a place to order delivery from. Decent room service food (used to be) a great convenience for those times and I was willing to pay the premium for it. Fresh Bites is just highly processed food while still charging premium room service prices. The value proposition no longer makes sense (mainly because of food quality and not so much the price). To each their own....

--Jon
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:08 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Price is likely not a consideration in whether one orders room service. Even with a small amount saved, room service is a convenience I will order when pressed for time, not something I'll consider based on price. Quality, selection and price will always be better elsewhere. I'd rather see hotels up the quality and selection than offer me money off..
I agree 100%. I tend not to order room service, but when I do its 100% for convenience. Generally, it's because I'm in a strange city, it's late, I'm hungry and I don't want to travel outside for whatever reason, e.g. tired, cold, sick, raining, no decent delivery options etc. Price isn't a major factor at that juncture.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 5:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
If I remember correctly, a Marriott executive said on on that CNBC special on Marriott a few years back that the number one room service/restaurant order was a burger/cheeseburger with fries.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Originally Posted by JBord
I've read several articles that echo what you've stated. With all due respect to those people who enjoy room service, I think it's time to start the grieving process, as it's a dying trend. Once you do that, and accept that you'll have to find another way to have food delivered to your room, you'll likely discover more options, higher quality food, and lower prices.

I'm not trying to be preachy or tell people how to feel about it, just stating my personal observations. And I've certainly been one of those people reluctant to give something up, only to eventually discover that the new way was much better.

Now, I don't like Fresh Bites, because I'd like it better if hotels provided a listing of recommended restaurants in the area with delivery, and phone numbers or websites. That would save me a little time in figuring out what I want and ordering. I would imagine if they could even work out some processes with those on the recommended list, such as swiping the elevator for them so the guest could stay in his room.
Just another example of the race to the bottom... Fresh Bites, lounge closures and quality reductions, 29" airline seat spacing. When you have to pay $300+ per night for a room in far suburban NJ and room service is delivered in a paper bag with paper and plastic boxes inside you know you are headed down quick. I can't imagine the garbage this creates compared to trays, plates and silverware that are washed and reused..
Old Dec 6, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by DL-Don
Just another example of the race to the bottom... Fresh Bites, lounge closures and quality reductions, 29" airline seat spacing. When you have to pay $300+ per night for a room in far suburban NJ and room service is delivered in a paper bag with paper and plastic boxes inside you know you are headed down quick. I can't imagine the garbage this creates compared to trays, plates and silverware that are washed and reused..
Remember its also good for the environment!
Old Dec 7, 2017, 10:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
If I remember correctly, a Marriott executive said on on that CNBC special on Marriott a few years back that the number one room service/restaurant order was a burger/cheeseburger with fries.
There was an era when Marriotts pretty universally had a very good burger. It was kind of their thing - a nod to their origin story as a diner. As long as the property served beef, you could bank on the burger. If the property served pork, you could make it a bacon cheeseburger.

Now that there are a bazillion brands, I doubt it's as much of a thing. But if I need to eat a meal at the lobby bar late at night after arriving on an evening flight, it's still the first thing I look for. That plus a tall beer...
joshua362 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I fondly share your memories of the reliable, pretty-darn-good Marriott Burger. In fact, at many hotels (that still have traditional room service) it still seems as good as ever.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
I fondly share your memories of the reliable, pretty-darn-good Marriott Burger. In fact, at many hotels (that still have traditional room service) it still seems as good as ever.
And many menus still call it "The Marriott Burger." Unfortunately, some hotels like the Marriott Georgetown, which actually isn't in Georgetown, in Washington, D.C., don't even have a burger on the menu.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Agreed, The Marriott Burger was always a good consistent item on the restaurant menu.

I wonder what the 'burger' is from fresh bites...
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:49 pm

Programs: Alaska; American; AMEX MR; Delta; Hilton; Marriott
IMHO - You Can't Be Full Service if You Only Offer Fresh Bites

I am not a fan of the Fresh Bites program. I don't believe you can call yourself a Full Service hotel if you don't offer true room service.

2017 Fresh Bites roll call *I didn't order FB at all of these locations, but I did see the menu in my room at each one:
JW Marriott, Washington DC
Marriott Marquis, Washington DC
Marriott Metro Center, Washington DC
Marriott, Santa Clara, CA
Marriott Beach Club, Lihue, Kauai, HI
LAX Marriott, Los Angeles, CA

Now - the bag is not your traditional paper bag. It is a large sturdy bag with rope like handles. The containers are sturdy plastic held closed with a paper/tape wrap. There are decent plastic utensils and a condiment box. So - this is a much nicer set up than I've had via other private delivery services.

The not so good - food doesn't always stay hot. Or, it can get soggy. The containers don't vent steam well, so things that are supposed to be crispy - don't stay crispy (aka French Fries). I had breakfast delivered once and the toast was room temp and butter frozen so no hope of anything melting (lounge was closed) - they comped the whole breakfast (due to the lounge being closed) but still annoying.

And the delivery charge - I've considered ordering FB at the M Lounge - but they still want to charge the fee. Seriously...if I'm in your lounge and you are offering the service, waive the fee. I'm happy to tip, but it just seemed obsessive to also charge the fee at the lounge.

The menu is fairly limited. While not advertised, when I've called the "At Your Service" rep has told me over the phone about the kids menu options.

If I'm going to get "drive by" food delivery, then the private options through apps etc... can certainly provide more variety and won't really take more time. It usually means you have to go down to the lobby to pick up, but with FB, I'll do that too to avoid the fee and to go over my order to make sure it is right while I'm close to the kitchen. It just makes me sad that there is really no food difference between a SHS/TPS/FI and a JW/M...the lounge is still the reason I would go to a JW or Marriott, but the differences are getting smaller for me.
DJ_Iceman and MDtR-Chicago like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.