Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott "Fresh Bites" Room Service

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2016, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Titanium Lifetime/UA/JetBlue
Marriott "Fresh Bites" Room Service

Just checked into the Marriott Copley Place in Boston. Its a regular visit and I like the hotel. Good location (big...... VERY big, but nice staff and comfortable rooms).

It's been a long week so I was looking forward to my regular Chicken Quesadilla or Marriott Burger (never eat Burgers except at Hotels and when I need comfort food)

So no Marriott Burger should have set the alarm bells ringing, they have a Strauss fed Burger which sounds typically American trying to go classy and usually best avoided so opted for the Chicken Quesadilla. Lovely lady on the phone took my order and asked me what I would like to drink. I always just want iced water, but sadly they do not serve Iced water anymore, I could buy a bottle of $7 (Boston tap is good for me so I declined!).

The knock on the door was quick, man stood with a shopping bag full of plastic containers. He must have seen the look on my face. I was horrified. Room service is a treat for me. I like to put the tray on the bed and eat while watching TV, Luxury! If I had wanted nasty plastic containers I could have run across the road to the Cheesecake factory for a take out.

To make things worse one of the containers containing the salad dressing had spilled so I had to call and ask for another. This came 15 minutes later with a sweet cake (as an apology I guess - nice touch).

Quality of the food was fine, but it looked so cheap and nasty and I hate all this plastic stuff. Not even real cutlery.

So I was told that this is being rolled out at all Marriotts. Very poor show I think and what had driven this? Not customer requirements I think. Doesn't feel like full service at all.

So if I see a "Fresh Bites" menu in a Marriott it will be a no from me in future. far better value to get a take out from a local restaurant or resort to Door Dash delivery with a far better variety anyway,

I am very disappointed as I always looked forward to room service........ the end of another era.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 7:33 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
This sounds exactly like what's being rolled out at a number of Hiltons and a few select Hyatts.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I suspect that the demand for "full service" room service has dropped and that without the market for that service, what you got is what is left for room service.

You will still find full room service at top-shelf places, but a mid-level Marriott, nice as the Copley is, just doesn't likely get much room service demand any more.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I cannot understand why dinner room service cannot be coordinated with the restaurant and bar downstairs.

For example the Hyatt Regency at SFO just opened a new restaurant, and the bar serves a truncated version of the bigger menu. The items on the bar menu are perfect for room service.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Very few Americans order room service since it's extremely overpriced. Thus, not many hotels in the US have much of it these days.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 9:16 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Sounds like the Marriott Fresh Bites is fertile ground for competition from restaurant delivery services and restaurants that deliver. Fire up the app and order.

Last edited by ohmark; Jul 18, 2016 at 7:35 am
Old Jul 18, 2016, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Wow so that kills room service. Yes it is outrageously overpriced normally, but at least it was previously serviced 'classy' on a tray with silverware, glasses, linen etc.

I'd be pretty pissed if I order what I expected to be actual room service and they show up with styrofoam/plastic takeout containers. I hope you provide feedback to both the hotel and Marriott corporate about the change that makes it cheap.

Really zero point in getting room service now. Better off ordering takeout from the hotel restaurant and going to get it yourself, or from a local place that will deliver to the room or front desk so you can go down and get it. This sounds more like something I'd expect from a Courtyard not a supposedly full service Marriott.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 8:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
There was a different thread re: this. If I order room service (and yes I often do) at a full service hotel which is often higher priced than limited brands, then I want a proper room service with real utensils, especially given the premium I'm paying for the food/drink. I do not want my food delivered in the Marriott equivalent of a McDonald's bag w/ plastic utensils. If I wanted that I'd stop at McD's on the way to the hotel.

I think Marriott was throwing this on the millennials when they started it. In addition to no desks, the millennials just want take out vs. proper food.

To the OP I'd certainly complain to the hotel.

Cheers.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
There was a different thread re: this. If I order room service (and yes I often do) at a full service hotel which is often higher priced than limited brands, then I want a proper room service with real utensils, especially given the premium I'm paying for the food/drink. I do not want my food delivered in the Marriott equivalent of a McDonald's bag w/ plastic utensils. If I wanted that I'd stop at McD's on the way to the hotel.

I think Marriott was throwing this on the millennials when they started it. In addition to no desks, the millennials just want take out vs. proper food.

To the OP I'd certainly complain to the hotel.

Cheers.
Hi Sharon

I reported to the hotel, and also wrote an email immediately to Marriott Customer Care to which I received a reply saying they had referred my comments to the Hotel Management and I will get a reply from them, which I will happily update here.

I spend 150 nights a year in Hotels and often work 16 hour days which means a bite to eat in front of the TV at 10pm is important to me. I also want to feel human and my idea of eating properly is not out of plastic containers and cutlery.

Also often in resorts a nice dinner on the balcony with a loved one is a romantic treat. It is just not the same out of a paper bag. What are they thinking!

The hotel tell me it is being rolled out USA wide. Sounds like it has been decided on already!

I find it hard to believe that Americans do not order room service (as a poster mentions) they guy that delivered my picnic last night was carrying four other bags so someone is ordering here!
Old Jul 18, 2016, 11:34 am

It's basically a way to reduce the hotel's expenses whilst still charging higher rates. They used millennials as the excuse. Not sure I buy into it being rolled out USA wide.

Cheers
Old Jul 18, 2016, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
So, per Marriott, millennials apparently don't need a desk or chairs, or even a bureau to store underwear in, or a TV that can be rotated. The spend all their time sitting on the bed with a tablet or laptop, surrounded by pizza boxes, Chinese takeout containers and some Styrofoam bowls, staring up at the flatscreen mounted on the wall directly in front of the bed.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 2:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UAL Lifetime Gold
I recently stayed at the Marriott City Center Charlotte and experienced much of the same. I love how they have remodeled, the rooms, the gym and facilities are all awesome. I didn't however like the "fresh bites" experience. I ordered a caesar salad and before the attendant left I checked and it was there alright !! I did chuckle and ask him where the other half went !! haha She smiles and said they have had similar comments. I think they should rename them "small bites" instead. So, the next couple of nights I just used foodie call and postmates, got what I wanted in a very similar time frame.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by catocony
So, per Marriott, millennials apparently don't need a desk or chairs, or even a bureau to store underwear in, or a TV that can be rotated. The spend all their time sitting on the bed with a tablet or laptop, surrounded by pizza boxes, Chinese takeout containers and some Styrofoam bowls, staring up at the flatscreen mounted on the wall directly in front of the bed.
That's it pretty much in a nutshell.

Cheers.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

A very fast an pleasant response, but also confirming the roll out to "most" hotels. I guess the romantic dinners on the balcony in resorts are not going to be happening anymore! Marriott will sadly be seeing alot less spend from me in the future!

I wanted to reach out to you regarding your Fresh Bites experience. Fresh Bites is our company’s revitalized version of room service. Marriott has found that over the years, our room service business has declined. The decline is mostly due to the fact that traditional room service was too slow, too expensive, and in many cases did not offer the kinds of food that our guests like to eat. Fresh Bites is designed to be delivered within 20 minutes, offers a convenient pick up option, and comes at a more reasonable price point. It is available currently at about 40 Marriott Hotels, and will be spreading to most of our hotels in 2017.
I certainly appreciate your perspective on the experience and apologize that the new approach does not match your preference. For you to be told that you cannot have ice water is unacceptable, and I will address this immediately with our team. We absolutely should have served that for you and for that I apologize. I also appreciate your concerns about the environmental impact of this program. The material is designed to be recycled and our hope is that most guests will choose that option when it comes time to dispose of the items.
While the menu does not have a Marriott burger, we do offer a burger with meat sourced from Strauss Family Farms which raises their animals in a responsible manner and uses a grass fed diet. Our new menu actually gives us the chance to partner with many more local farms and vendors than before, which is something we are proud to do.
I hope we’ll have a second chance to serve you Fresh Bites. I would be happy to offer you a meal on us to see if the experience is any better the second time around. I certainly respect the fact that you may decline this offer. If the packaging is the deal breaker for you, let me know if sending up some traditional plates and glassware might allow you to feel comfortable enough to give us a second chance.
Please let me know if I can do anything for you to make your stay or any future stays at our hotel more comfortable.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Why can't they put the "fresh bites" on its own page in the room service menu, with an explanation that these items will be served quickly and in a "to-go" manner? They could still offer traditional room service, with all the pomp and circumstance, for those who choose that more expensive option.

Also, given all the room service carts I see with dirty plates in the hallways of various Marriott hotels, I find it hard to believe that room service sales have declined appreciably.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.