Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott "Fresh Bites" Room Service

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold
This seems like a product I would be more likely to use than "real" room service. Usually when I get back to the room and I'm still hungry I don't want a $42 hamburger.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Ryno1234
So quick question about the delivery services: many of the full service locations where I stay require a key card to access the floor i am on via the elevator. How do the delivery service people get past that or do you have to meet in the lobby?
It depends on things like the property, the delivery service and the guest. At some properties, you do need to go down to the front desk when they call. At some properties, they will call and make sure you ordered food before sending the delivery driver up or having him wait for you, whichever you prefer. At some properties, they guy just comes up. Some drivers know they aren't supposed to, but will slip on an elevator behind someone else. And at some hotels, the bellmen will bring the food up, generating a tip for themselves.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
overpriced process food isn't what I am looking for from room service. Bellevue, WA Full Service Marriott recently completed a full renovation including a M Club Lounge. They too have gone to Fresh Bites for room service. No thanks....
processed food, China-made soaps, dentist office decor: Marriott can't help but cater to the lowest-common denominator. Starwood fans are in for a nasty surprise when they start doing this crap to W's, LeM and Westins.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
processed food, China-made soaps, dentist office decor: Marriott can't help but cater to the lowest-common denominator. Starwood fans are in for a nasty surprise when they start doing this crap to W's, LeM and Westins.
I'm assuming the brands will keep their same soaps. The different Marriott brands have different brands of toiletries, and the cost is really at the hotel side rather than on the corporate side.

As for the food, I'm in a Westin now with a lounge that is well below what would be in a regular Marriott or Renaissance lounge. Perhaps its because the lounge isn't a brand standard. The food I was in at the last LeM I stayed at was Fairfield Innesq with mini cans of Coke, M&M's, and chips.

But ... I'm one of those folks doing 100-150 nights a year in FS properties (when they are available). In the past 2000 nights at Marriott's, I've used room service no more than a couple of times. It's generally overpriced and not very good so the overpricing means that they're losing money. I suppose Fresh Bites, which I'll have to see what it is -- but will not order --- must be some attempt to experiment.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
The POINT of ROOM SERVICE is that the food gets delivered to YOU IN YOUR ROOM - usually at an inflated cost, and with real dishes & silverware, either in a cart left in your room or on a tray left in your room.
Is this an ISO standard? W3C? NIST? I wasn't aware there was a formalized definition of "ROOM SERVICE".

I'm fine with it.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
And as to the fear that this will spread, has this spread to Renaissance? Or is it just a Marriott brand only.

Now ... if I could only figure out what an M Lounge is ,....
Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
As for the food, I'm in a Westin now with a lounge that is well below what would be in a regular Marriott or Renaissance lounge.
I've always liked Marriott family lounges better than SPG lounges where those even exist, but have never been a fan of most Marriott restaurants, with the Bistro being to me the lowest of lows.

One time I was at Sam's Club and saw the same muffins we just paid $2 each for, two dozen minimum, at a Marriott. Sam's Club had them in an 18 count box for $5.

I've always thought it would be good if Marriott rented out the restaurant spaces to up and coming chefs, like the Ren in Pittsburgh or the CY in Watertown used to have. When I was a kid, hotel restaurants were fine dining. We would go to the local Sheraton or Holiday Inn for dinner. It's a shame hotels have moved away from that to serving industrial convention banquet food in their restaurants.

End Rant

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Now ... if I could only figure out what an M Lounge is ,....
According to a blurb used by several hotels, "M Club Lounge provides the ideal space to work, recharge, connect and relax, with the convenience of snacks and food options." In other words, it's a modern CL with every adjective Marriott thinks Millennials want to hear stuffed into the description.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by 1973 Ford Pinto
This seems like a product I would be more likely to use than "real" room service. Usually when I get back to the room and I'm still hungry I don't want a $42 hamburger.
Ah, but there's the rub. They're still charging you $42 for the burger - just delivering it in a plastic container in a bag.

Cheers.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Fresh Bites, is that food, I thought that this was their new bedbugs program they are unveiling, lol...
joshua362 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Come on, people. "Fresh bites" sucks, and there's no getting around that. Whether you've only ordered room service a few times in decades or rely on it every stay, "fresh bites" is lame. If FS Marriotts (and yes, I've also seen fresh bites at Ren) are going to abandon true room service as a brand standard, just give it up completely and put a brochure for Uber Eats (or whatever) in the room.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Ah, but there's the rub. They're still charging you $42 for the burger - just delivering it in a plastic container in a bag.

Cheers.
^This
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Come on, people. "Fresh bites" sucks, and there's no getting around that. Whether you've only ordered room service a few times in decades or rely on it every stay, "fresh bites" is lame. If FS Marriotts (and yes, I've also seen fresh bites at Ren) are going to abandon true room service as a brand standard, just give it up completely and put a brochure for Uber Eats (or whatever) in the room.
This.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Anyone else find it head scratching that an outside company can take an order, create food & fancy packaging (whatever the quality), get into cars & deliver upstairs, give Marriott a cut and still make money on the process?

But a hotel with an established kitchen that marks up the food beyond restaurant prices, adds a whopping service and delivery charge can't break even.

I guess Marriott's labor costs are far & away more than of Domino's drivers.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by joshua362
Anyone else find it head scratching that an outside company can take an order, create food & fancy packaging (whatever the quality), get into cars & deliver upstairs, give Marriott a cut and still make money on the process?

But a hotel with an established kitchen that marks up the food beyond restaurant prices, adds a whopping service and delivery charge can't break even.

I guess Marriott's labor costs are far & away more than of Domino's drivers.
I hope you aren’t being serious. Marriott pays a lot more than most standalone restaurants especially when benefits are included. A full service restaurant at a hotel has to keep in stock a greater amount of ingredients for the various items on the menu. Produce and fruits are perishable. If people don’t order dishes using them, they cannot be kept beyond a certain period of time. The hotel restaurant has a higher carrying cost for food since they are expected to serve fish, steak, chicken, and vegetarian options. Alcohol has a high markup, but the turnover of the wine list may be low for certain types of wine.

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
You must think the craptastic Sheratons in the United States are great. Lousy club lounges with poor food and service. Marriott club lounges in the United States blow the Sheraton away, and I will never find a Marriott club lounge that does not serve dessert and decides that rice and chickpeas is suitable for the only appetizer.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'll start by saying I almost never order food to the room. Maybe in a Fairfield Inn where the little town has no real restaurants but there's a pizza delivery.

But...I've always thought of one of the hallmarks of a true full-service hotel as having both a restaurant and real room service. A Marriott or Renaissance without it just seems somehow wrong...even though there's a very low chance I personally will use it.

I'm also surprised that Marriott has rolled out a product that people seem to hate. I've never seen Fresh Bites until this thread, but when I hear it described as a paper bag and plastic utensils, I'd still have hope that they can deliver some really solid cold sandwiches, wraps, salads, and the like. I don't mind a paper bag if there's a huge hoagie with fresh meats and veggies inside. If they can't even execute on that, what's the purpose?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.