Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott "Fresh Bites" Room Service

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2017, 7:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Traveler-girl
I am not a fan of the Fresh Bites program. I don't believe you can call yourself a Full Service hotel if you don't offer true room service.

2017 Fresh Bites roll call *I didn't order FB at all of these locations, but I did see the menu in my room at each one:
JW Marriott, Washington DC
Marriott Marquis, Washington DC
Marriott Metro Center, Washington DC
Marriott, Santa Clara, CA
Marriott Beach Club, Lihue, Kauai, HI
LAX Marriott, Los Angeles, CA

Now - the bag is not your traditional paper bag. It is a large sturdy bag with rope like handles. The containers are sturdy plastic held closed with a paper/tape wrap. There are decent plastic utensils and a condiment box. So - this is a much nicer set up than I've had via other private delivery services.

The not so good - food doesn't always stay hot. Or, it can get soggy. The containers don't vent steam well, so things that are supposed to be crispy - don't stay crispy (aka French Fries). I had breakfast delivered once and the toast was room temp and butter frozen so no hope of anything melting (lounge was closed) - they comped the whole breakfast (due to the lounge being closed) but still annoying.

And the delivery charge - I've considered ordering FB at the M Lounge - but they still want to charge the fee. Seriously...if I'm in your lounge and you are offering the service, waive the fee. I'm happy to tip, but it just seemed obsessive to also charge the fee at the lounge.

The menu is fairly limited. While not advertised, when I've called the "At Your Service" rep has told me over the phone about the kids menu options.

If I'm going to get "drive by" food delivery, then the private options through apps etc... can certainly provide more variety and won't really take more time. It usually means you have to go down to the lobby to pick up, but with FB, I'll do that too to avoid the fee and to go over my order to make sure it is right while I'm close to the kitchen. It just makes me sad that there is really no food difference between a SHS/TPS/FI and a JW/M...the lounge is still the reason I would go to a JW or Marriott, but the differences are getting smaller for me.
They don't put the salad dressing on the salad but rather in a separate container. The problem is the container with the salad is basically too small and the "stuff" falls over the edges when the top is removed. There's no way to pour the dressing on the salad and stir it up.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:44 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I guess I am in the minority or I was just really hungry last night. I saw the order ahead and have it delivered but wasn't sure on timing from the airport. Arrived at the Marriott Dallas City Centre and decided I was hungry and wanted something more substantial then snacks. Ordered a turkey BLT with fries and it was delivered in less than 15 minutes. The delivery fee on the check was $5 and there was nowhere to add a tip so I just said "thank you" when she brought it to the door. I could have order DoorDash or the like but it would have easily taken 30-45 minutes and I wasn't interested in staying dressed so that I could meet the delivery driver in the lobby. It was $17 with tax and delivery fee which I didn't think was bad. I also didn't mind the plastic cartons as I didn't eat it all and put the other half of the sandwich in the fridge.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I, for one, have never understood why more hotels don't offer elite status guests a token 10% or 15% off coupon if they dine on-property. In most cities, the hotel restaurant is too expensive for the quality offered.
To give credit where credit is due, the Marriott Village in Orlando does this. They have a food court which is slow but isn't bad and is reasonably priced, even before the discount they give elite members. Interestingly, the "room service" menu at each of the hotels on the property (FI/CY/SHS) is the same menu & prices as at the food court.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 8:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'm still in the if I'm at a full-service property I want & expect true full-service offerings camp - aka room service vs fresh bites. I tried fresh bites once on a 'real' meal (vs. a sandwich). It sucked & was an insult given the pricing.

Cheers.
DJ_Iceman, Twickenham and markko like this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA ConciergeKey, Hertz PC , Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
The worst Fresh Bites experience I ever had consisted of them not bringing me utensils or a bottle opener for my San Pellegrino. I was hungry & thirsty - had to call down for utensils & the bottle opener. The best part was the gal delivering it definitely thought she deserved a tip.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 8:29 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by tampatravel
The worst Fresh Bites experience I ever had consisted of them not bringing me utensils or a bottle opener for my San Pellegrino. I was hungry & thirsty - had to call down for utensils & the bottle opener. The best part was the gal delivering it definitely thought she deserved a tip.
Was she the one who screwed up the first delivery?
Old Sep 8, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA ConciergeKey, Hertz PC , Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Yes, same person who brought it up in the first place.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA EP 4+ million miles, Ambassador+ Elite
SPG person...First Stay at a Marriott

Seriously, I am spoiled. I have over 1000 nights in SPG and made the mistake of ordering room service in a $400 a night hotel room, to have a BOXED meal delivered with plastic ware. I asked for an unsweetened iced tea and received a bottle of tea. I pray Starwood hotels are not devalued like this. Seriously Marriott.I could have stayed at the Four Seasons, across the street,for $100 more a night. (it was sold out or I would have moved). Very disappointing.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I suggest reading the details on the room service menu before ordering room service, so you know what to expect.

I suspect there are a lot of places where an extra $100 per night would receive improved service.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
The point isn't really whether Marriott hotels are any good. The point is whether the SPG hotels we've come to love are crushed by Marriott corporate mediocrity over time.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 5:41 pm

Not all MAR hotels have gone to the 'fresh bites' program (yes, there's a thread re: it way before SPG came into the pic & MAR FTers not happy w/ it either). Having said that, there are a lot of MAR hotels that still offer true room service. The OP got unlucky.

For the record OP - please post which property you encountered this at, so others will know what to expect.

Cheers.
bhrubin and ryw like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA EP 4+ million miles, Ambassador+ Elite
SPG person-First Stay at a Marriott

This was Baltimore Waterfront. Yes, shame on me for not being familiar with the boxed meal program at Marriott. It is the stupidest thing I have heard of in a while. If this is what happens to the SPG hotels, i will burn my millions of points and go elsewhere. It just makes me sad to think that a great brand will become inferior. I have been very loyal and had Ambassador service for years and now no one knows what is going on, through no fault of theirs. I am not sure how in this day and age that more than 1 month later the tech switch over has not been successful...and now boxed meals...UGH.
remymartin likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:40 pm

Not all MARs are going to fresh bites. In fact right now the majority aren't. One shouldn't have to, but if you're expecting to do room service you can always call & ask - or stay at a SPG property where it's not in place.

While I appreciate the this sucks aspect, if it were me I'd check on properties before abandoning millions of points & stays at properties that meet my needs. But that's just me.

FWIW - I am one of the most anti-fresh bites person you'll meet & have said I will not stay at those properties that have it in place. That still leaves me plenty of MAR properties that don't do fresh bites. After investing enough nights/points to get to LTPP I'm not abandoning a chain that meets my needs in the greater picture.

Cheers.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:21 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Not all MARs are going to fresh bites. In fact right now the majority aren't. One shouldn't have to, but if you're expecting to do room service you can always call & ask - or stay at a SPG property where it's not in place.
Oh dear. What the heck are Fresh Bites? And how does one avoid such a “box lunch” sounding room service hotel?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, United Silver, SW A List Preferred
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Oh dear. What the heck are Fresh Bites? And how does one avoid such a “box lunch” sounding room service hotel?
I tried pasting pictures of a Fresh Bites menu, and food offering, but apparently don't have enough posts to put images in yet. But, you can google them.

Short answer, some Marriotts have replaced "traditional" room service with something closer to a carry-out order. Without getting into the merits of whether this is passable, a little disappointing, or the end of service as we know it, the important thing to look out for is if the room service menu carries a "Fresh Bites" logo on it. If so, that's what you're going to get. In exchange for getting your food in plastic containers, with plastic utensils, in a sturdy paper bag, they also offer the option of picking it up yourself, to avoid a delivery fee. While it's definitely not "room service" at that point, it does make it seem less overpriced, assuming the pick up point is convenient.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.