Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott "Fresh Bites" Room Service

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
If I'm ever in a hotel that doesn't provide me with breakfast included, I roam the neighborhood in search of their local bagel joint and get exactly that - the bagel breakfast sandwich. Usually $5-7 or so and very tasty.

If I can't find a good local bagel joint, the McD's version for $3-4 gets the job done.

The Fresh Bites thing would mainly have value to me when nearby restaraunts were closed. The Panera-type sandwich at midnight because I'd been traveling all day...that's when I could (sort of) justify spending twenty bucks for an $8 sandwich.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I just had to LOL. For $5 you can get the same from McDonald's, but the property appreciates the extra $13.50 you were willing to pay

Cheers.
That is what impressed me with Fresh Bites...it was not just McD's or Panera crap food. I hate "fast food" and my meals were actually decent and I thought it was a great value and quality for what I got being room service. They were even much better than the nuked outta a bag breakfast crap they serve in the lounges.

I don't think I have EVER had room anywhere service and said "Wow, that was actually really good." I did however with my Fresh Bites experiences.

Individual results may vary...
Old Nov 13, 2017, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by PAX62
I don't think I have EVER had room anywhere service and said "Wow, that was actually really good."
In Dallas, there is a horrible, horrible CY where you run to the hotel from your parked car in the hopes you make it. But the hotel has a tex-mex restaurant attached the provides room service and it's phenomenal. You can charge the food to your room just like with any other room service.

The North Hills Ren in Raleigh has an Italian restaurant in the lobby that is quite good. It's a two-step room service. You call the restaurant, order the food and if you don't want to go down to the lobby to get it, you call the bellmen's desk and they will bring it up to you.

Personally, I'd prefer a McD's hamburger to any frozen patty I've ever gotten from Marriott.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by PAX62
I don't think I have EVER had room anywhere service and said "Wow, that was actually really good."
I have - w/ multiple properties. Obviously not all properties but certainly a # of them, which is why I'm thankful they're still avoiding the Fresh Bites program.

FWIW - my take on FB is, if a hotel can make RS work, then let them still offer it. If they need to offer RS but want to cheap out then let them offer FB.

Cheers,
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Is it possible that some hotels are actually implementing Fresh Bites pretty well, and others are doing a horrible job with it?

Is it the same everywhere? Is the food prepared fresh on-site or is it prepackaged stuff shipped from elsewhere?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Grubhub, UberEats, Door Dash, 24 Hour Food delivery...
THIS. Although I do miss the real silverware & china. I'll have to try your suggestion of getting some from downstairs.

Best room service meal I ever had was at the Camino Real, Guatemala City (Now Westin, SPG, YAY!). Sadly, it was pizza, BUT it was the best I've ever had and I've not found anything like it since. I've not even been able to replicate it at home. It wasn't your traditional pizza by any means.

As an aside, the hotel has remained mostly unchanged over the 30+ years I've known about it, which I think is great. The rooms are still in good order and have been slightly updated, but still look almost identical to my photos from 30 years ago. It's nice to have something familiar to 'come home to' at night.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
I don't take anything Marriott says about the environment seriously.
And to be fair, not only Marriott, but almost every major corporation. After 23 years of consulting with Fortune 100 companies, I'm fairly certain that "green" and "environmentally friendly" are just words they use to cover up "cut costs" and "employee takeaways".

I will say with about 95% certainty that there are very, very few that actually care about environment, and even fewer that would choose a higher cost alternative.

They may be recycling, but only if there's a cost savings in it somewhere.
joshua362, kennycrudup and soy like this.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 5:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
And yet the international properties are still offering a proper room service. It definitely must be a US thing that hotels are losing $$.
Maybe they're losing money because the quality of the food offerings is subpar.

I, for one, have never understood why more hotels don't offer elite status guests a token 10% or 15% off coupon if they dine on-property. In most cities, the hotel restaurant is too expensive for the quality offered.

The Marriott Georgetown and Marriott Key Bridge properties have Fresh Bites. The Cesar salad comes in a container that's so small it is impossible to eat without the lettuce falling over the sides. The parmesan cheese is grated, not shaved.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I, for one, have never understood why more hotels don't offer elite status guests a token 10% or 15% off coupon if they dine on-property. In most cities, the hotel restaurant is too expensive for the quality offered.
Price is likely not a consideration in whether one orders room service. Even with a small amount saved, room service is a convenience I will order when pressed for time, not something I'll consider based on price. Quality, selection and price will always be better elsewhere. I'd rather see hotels up the quality and selection than offer me money off.

And I'm sorry, but if a 15% off coupon is offered, it will just mean prices will go up by 15%.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:40 pm

Price is likely not a consideration in whether one orders room service.
This is true up to the point where I feel like it's an outrageous rip-off. At that point, I avoid it completely out of principle - it is uncomfortable to get robbed so badly.

If a hotel burger is $16 when I know it probably should be about $12-14, then fine...I order it and pay for the convenience. But if it's $30 because they decided to grossly overprice it *and* then add a layer of fees (beyond a tip) on top of that, it becomes ridiculous. Even though I'm spending my firm's or client's money, it feel like an egregious waste so I don't do it.

Agree with you on the coupons. I don't want to have to play that game at a hotel I'm only visiting once. It's bad enough that I'm effectively forced to play the game to order a pizza from pretty much anywhere these days.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I always tell the server that including the tip as a fee penalizes her or him for good service because I would have tipped her or him more without it added.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:05 am

I always tell the server that including the tip as a fee penalizes her or him for good service because I would have tipped her or him more without it added.
You can always add more, which I frequently do.

I was in a Marriott a couple years ago, but don't remember which. If you walked to the end of the second floor there was a small open staircase leading to the side of a small lobby. Anyway, I asked the woman who delivered the room service (there was nothing else nearby for delivery except Dominos) if the service charge, 18%, went to her, which I always ask delivery people and have always been given an quick answer, except this time. She stated "a small percent" went to her, so I asked how much but didn't tell her it was so more could be added to ensure she got 20%. She hemmed and hawed to the point I called the front desk, asked and let them know she lied to me when the front desk said it all went to her. I explained to the front desk, while she stood there, that I wanted the tip removed because she lied to me. It wasn't even my money, it was all on a corporate card, but it was being lied to that bothered me. She apologized and said the tip would be added back because it was a requirement, so I let her know if it was added back it would be treated as an unauthorized charge, reversed and investigated. I also sent a short email to the front desk to ensure it was removed and there was a record of my request. It was one of the few times I checked my bill carefully. It had been removed.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
And I'm sorry, but if a 15% off coupon is offered, it will just mean prices will go up by 15%.
i would take that deal since it’s still a price decrease

I’m sure the servers love hearing that.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by getagb
i would take that deal since it’s still a price decrease

I’m sure the servers love hearing that.
They should take it up with management. Tips shouldn't be added to a bill unless it's a group and even then it is tacky. I host corporate dinners (10-15 people, 4-5 bottles of wine) all the time. The restaurant will add the tip automatically but it's often only 15-18%. More often than not the service is exceptional and I would have easily given 20-25%.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 12:57 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
lol

getting offended by this is like getting offended about a hotel that doesn't have an elevator operator. It's the 21st century, grandpa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.