Search

Marriott "Fresh Bites" Room Service

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:27 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Chalmers3716
I tried pasting pictures of a Fresh Bites menu, and food offering, but apparently don't have enough posts to put images in yet. But, you can google them.

Short answer, some Marriotts have replaced "traditional" room service with something closer to a carry-out order. Without getting into the merits of whether this is passable, a little disappointing, or the end of service as we know it, the important thing to look out for is if the room service menu carries a "Fresh Bites" logo on it. If so, that's what you're going to get. In exchange for getting your food in plastic containers, with plastic utensils, in a sturdy paper bag, they also offer the option of picking it up yourself, to avoid a delivery fee. While it's definitely not "room service" at that point, it does make it seem less overpriced, assuming the pick up point is convenient.
Yikes. I googled it. Tragic. I’d never choose to stay at a hotel with such pitiful offering. If I wanted no room service, I’d settle for a Four Points.
remymartin likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: LT Mariott Platinum?, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver, AA Gold, Amtrak Nothing.
Just amused by this thread, 800+ lifetime nights, and I can count on one hand the number of room service meals I've ordered. Sorry for the interruption, carry on.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by 1AAFlyer
This was Baltimore Waterfront. Yes, shame on me for not being familiar with the boxed meal program at Marriott. It is the stupidest thing I have heard of in a while. If this is what happens to the SPG hotels, i will burn my millions of points and go elsewhere. It just makes me sad to think that a great brand will become inferior. I have been very loyal and had Ambassador service for years and now no one knows what is going on, through no fault of theirs. I am not sure how in this day and age that more than 1 month later the tech switch over has not been successful...and now boxed meals...UGH.
Please post a negative review on Trip Advisor. That should get some attention.
damon88 and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:40 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by copyright1997
Just amused by this thread, 800+ lifetime nights, and I can count on one hand the number of room service meals I've ordered. Sorry for the interruption, carry on.
Haha. Not to worry. I’m at 1200+ lifetime nights with Marriott and SPG, and I’d guess that well over half of those saw me getting room service at least once. A substantial proportion saw me getting room service more than once, too.

Full service should mean a restaurant and room service.

Those full service brands work for me and those other guests like me. Limited service should mean less, and those limited service brands certainly can work for you and other guests like you—as can the full service brands that offer room service that you’ll never use.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
FWIW - Fresh Bites came about because millinneals don't really care about the formal, traditional room service. Some of them have said (and not just millennials) they're ok w/ fresh bites. Others, like myself, say no way. I'll try to find the thread where it's been discussed (the thread is long). Some of the hotels themselves have said yeah, but other properties have said over my dead body/their guests want 'true' room service.

Cheers.
closecover, boss315 and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:52 pm

I know the hotels went to Fresh Bites to save money, and they are -- they're saving me money. When I see that, I use SeamlessWeb/Uber Eats/etc. instead.

If I'm on a trip where I have a checked bag, I sometimes will throw my titanium spork and stemless wineglass in the bag, especially when I think I might be stuck ordering Uber Eats. Likewise, if there's a Wal-Mart nearby, I pick up a couple of stemless wine glasses for less than a pack of solo cups. I'm not sure how to put it into words, but drinking from a real glass (even if just ice water or soda) and using real utensils makes a difference to me and I find it satisfying after a long day of working on the road. Perhaps it's more like home? Either way, I prefer it. Likewise for drinks served in a glass vs. plastic cup on a flight.

Some of the aforementioned Fresh Bites threads:
Marriott Fresh Bites - horrible for adults and kids

Enhanced Room Service "Fresh Bites" from Marriott

Last edited by KRSW; Sep 25, 2018 at 11:02 pm
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by 1AAFlyer
Seriously, I am spoiled. I have over 1000 nights in SPG and made the mistake of ordering room service in a $400 a night hotel room, to have a BOXED meal delivered with plastic ware. I asked for an unsweetened iced tea and received a bottle of tea. I pray Starwood hotels are not devalued like this. Seriously Marriott.I could have stayed at the Four Seasons, across the street,for $100 more a night. (it was sold out or I would have moved). Very disappointing.
Just a FYI... There are also Starwood properties that do boxed meals for late night dining. (not saying this is as bad as whatever program MR has)
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:37 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by copyright1997
And this is why there is a clash of expectations - Marriotts used to excel at cheap local partial service hotels often with lounges and lots of points towards free hotels, whereas Starwood had a reputation for full service hotels with things like room service and concierge as well as great recognition for its elites. In the merger of the programmes and the mid tier consumers are finding it is difficult for both of these things to be true.

Beyond its brands Starwood had its own distinct brand persona world’s away from the very US corporate very Utah persona of Marriott. This is ultimately where all the “our people are better than your people” stuff comes from.

If I’m paying $300 or so for a hotel for either a business stay or a weekend break I expect the option of room service and would be put out by it arriving with plastic cutlery. I find plastic cups in a room offensive enough, and that’s a direction lower end US Starwoods have already gone down.
remymartin likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Have to disagree w/ you there a bit. I'm LTPP & 98% of my stays are at full-service Marriott brands where I expect (and get) full service stuff, including exec lounges & full room service.

However, recently MAR (and let's face it SPG would have done the same thing to stay alive) has been chasing millennials who insist they don't need desks, closets or room service, so MAR has been chasing that demographic.

Cheers.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:51 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Leave 1 star reviews for fresh bites and they might stop doing it one day
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:06 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
To each their own of course but I don’t really get the outrage over the fact that the food comes in a box. As long as the food is better or less of a ripoff. But I don’t think either of those are true.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Have to disagree w/ you there a bit. I'm LTPP & 98% of my stays are at full-service Marriott brands where I expect (and get) full service stuff, including exec lounges & full room service.

However, recently MAR (and let's face it SPG would have done the same thing to stay alive) has been chasing millennials who insist they don't need desks, closets or room service, so MAR has been chasing that demographic.

Cheers.
I'm far from being a millennial, and I don't need room service or a desk whether my travel is business or personal. I do like a closet though! It's interesting to me that some people still see room service as a high-end, luxury service. I do not. I can get a much better meal just about anywhere else other than from room service (usually for 25-50% less). If I order it, it's a last resort because nothing else is available. At certain luxury hotels, room service might be something special, but IMO it's really not at any of the Marriott or SPG hotels.

Long paragraph to make the point that this is not just a millennial thing. The demand is decreasing across generations. If I'm paying $400/night, I expect some amenities, but the one I don't want is the option to pay the hotel an additional $30 for a tired old hamburger and fries served in my bedroom.
C17PSGR and JoeWoodstock like this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by GoPhils
To each their own of course but I don’t really get the outrage over the fact that the food comes in a box. As long as the food is better or less of a ripoff. But I don’t think either of those are true.
Of course to each their own, but out of curiosity, would you say the same if you were in a restaurant and the food arrived shrink-wrapped?
remymartin likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by JBord
I'm far from being a millennial, and I don't need room service or a desk whether my travel is business or personal. I do like a closet though! It's interesting to me that some people still see room service as a high-end, luxury service. I do not. I can get a much better meal just about anywhere else other than from room service (usually for 25-50% less). If I order it, it's a last resort because nothing else is available. At certain luxury hotels, room service might be something special, but IMO it's really not at any of the Marriott or SPG hotels.

Long paragraph to make the point that this is not just a millennial thing. The demand is decreasing across generations. If I'm paying $400/night, I expect some amenities, but the one I don't want is the option to pay the hotel an additional $30 for a tired old hamburger and fries served in my bedroom.
And indeed, I am a Millennial and I expect a desk so that I can work and functional room service so that I can order good food to my room without having to leave it. I don't see room service as "luxury" or "high end", but a service that I would like to have in a hotel. At a certain point, what's the difference between a "full service" Marriott with limited services and Airbnb?
KRSW likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:41 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Of course to each their own, but out of curiosity, would you say the same if you were in a restaurant and the food arrived shrink-wrapped?
Is fresh bites shrink-wrapped?

I’ve certainly had better dining experiences in places where paper plates were used then some supposedly “upscale” establishments. I care more about the quality of the food itself than the packaging it’s served in. But again, I don’t believe Fresh Bites has improved in this regard anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.