Bed type guarantee

Old Jul 30, 17, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Bed type guarantee

Hi all! New to Marriott rewards, I'm used to Hilton/SPG so I have a question...

I'm about to book a 5 night reward stay in Seattle and need a two queen bed room. Online, only 1 king + sofa bed is available on points. Two queens are available but for cash (at a slightly higher rate than 1 king).

My question: As a gold elite, with 2 queens selected as bed type preference, will I get this under the ultimate reservations guarantee, even if I've specifically booked a 1 king room?

I've tried to confirm with the hotel directly, but they don't seem to have an e-mail address and when I rang the front desk they didn't seem to know if the hotel had one and directed me to Marriott reservations.

Thanks for any help!
Old Jul 30, 17, 10:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Have you tried to make the reservation online and then change the bedding type to the 2 Queens desired which will then show as the guarantee ?

The guarantee only covers what your reservation shows and is not delivered.

Originally Posted by gingeola View Post
Hi all! New to Marriott rewards, I'm used to Hilton/SPG so I have a question...

I'm about to book a 5 night reward stay in Seattle and need a two queen bed room. Online, only 1 king + sofa bed is available on points. Two queens are available but for cash (at a slightly higher rate than 1 king).

My question: As a gold elite, with 2 queens selected as bed type preference, will I get this under the ultimate reservations guarantee, even if I've specifically booked a 1 king room?

I've tried to confirm with the hotel directly, but they don't seem to have an e-mail address and when I rang the front desk they didn't seem to know if the hotel had one and directed me to Marriott reservations.

Thanks for any help!
Old Jul 31, 17, 1:59 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Going by my past experience probably not! However what I have done in the past is when I have got to the hotel, I have spoken very nicely to the front desk staff to see if I can get the double changed into a twin bedded room. Its also another reason why I don't do the online check-in.

I have issues with a regular Marriott hotel where I go to as most times I get a Queen bed instead of the supposedly guaranteed King bed and I hate pulling the DYKWIA routine (if it can be avoided). So I don't do the online check in and then double check when checking in that the bed type is the King. There is nothing worse than traipsing all the way to your room and then discovering that its the wrong bed type and having to trail all the way back to reception to get the room changed.
Old Jul 31, 17, 5:41 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat, WN A-List Preferred
Most Marriott hotels offer a standard room type that could be 1 king or 2 queens. In that case your preference would be guaranteed. If you book one that specifically says 1 king plus sofa bed that's what you'll be guaranteed. It's possible this hotel has few two bed rooms or has had a lot of requests for them already and isn't selling the generic room type.
Old Jul 31, 17, 2:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I think your best bet is to call Marriott Reservations and tell them you are offered a king for an award stay but not two queens. My experience is they will contact hotel to authorize the (2) queen bed award.

As others stay, you are only guaranteed the type of bed on your reservation. If you select a king room, you cannot demand (2) queens. The guarantee is to make sure your bedding is not switched from what you reserved.
Old Jul 31, 17, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies. The guarantee referring to what has been booked makes sense now that I think about it. @:-)

Since yesterday the points redemptions have disappeared completely so currently we have no option but to stay put in the AC Hotels Bellevue.

We're staying next week but slightly concerned as it is a brand new hotel that has not yet opened. Also, I didn't realise we wouldn't get the breakfast benefit as a gold member until recently, hence the attempt to move. Hopefully a room redemption may reappear that we can grab.
Old Aug 1, 17, 9:05 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by gingeola View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies. The guarantee referring to what has been booked makes sense now that I think about it. @:-)

Since yesterday the points redemptions have disappeared completely so currently we have no option but to stay put in the AC Hotels Bellevue.

We're staying next week but slightly concerned as it is a brand new hotel that has not yet opened. Also, I didn't realise we wouldn't get the breakfast benefit as a gold member until recently, hence the attempt to move. Hopefully a room redemption may reappear that we can grab.
I'd be very sure to invest in a phone call before departure & make sure the hotel has actually opened and the amenities you want (gym, lounge, restaurant) are in operation.

Hotels are notorious for delays in opening, not notifying guests and "soft openings" where construction still occurs in areas such as the gym, lounge, restaurant, again with little notification or guest impact concern. Just my 2 pence from experience...

Last edited by joshua362; Aug 1, 17 at 10:46 am
Old Aug 1, 17, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by nequine View Post
Going by my past experience probably not! However what I have done in the past is when I have got to the hotel, I have spoken very nicely to the front desk staff to see if I can get the double changed into a twin bedded room. Its also another reason why I don't do the online check-in.
OLCI means nothing. I did OLCI for a suite at the Marriott Beijing but when I arrived at the hotel, I was back in a regular room and no one knew anything about the suite. Luckily I had printed off my confirmation to jog their memories.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: