Marriott Badges

Old Jun 23, 2017, 2:53 am
htb
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Marriott Badges

I didn't see this discussed and it just seems to have come live: Marriot Badges (opt-in required):

Brand Loyalist
  • Stay two times at the same hotel brand and earn a brand badge (25 points each).

Brand Explorer
  • Stay at 5 different Marriott hotel brands and earn the 5-brand explorer badge (50 points).
  • Up the game and earn the 10-brand explorer badge (75 points).
  • Try them all and earn the exclusive uber brand explorer badge (250 points).

Road Warrior
  • Not for the fainthearted. Earn the 100 night badge (25 points), 500 night badge (125 points) or 1000 night badge (250 points).

Social Maven
Put your people skills to good use.
  • Participate in #MRPoints and earn a social badge.
  • Donate to the IFRC or Hotels for Heroes and earn your good citizen badge plus 25 points.
  • Refer a friend to get in on the fun and earn a refer a friend badge.
I just got 25 points for staying at a CY twice within the last seven days. Nice touch.

However, when it comes to the points handed out for staying at 5 brands, or for staying 1000 nights, it's just laughable and pathetic. Not an incentive at all -- instead it's rather insulting. "Thank you for staying with us for 1000 nights. Here's your sign, ah, I mean your 250 points".

That's basically one additional free night for staying 100,000 nights or 273 years (based on a 25000 points redemption). But you get the badge and points only once, I believe.

HTB.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:11 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Its been available for a wee while now, I have a few badges but as I don't tend to stay in other brands of Marriott, I've only got the 1 badge for hotel category so far.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:27 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
They missed one.

Brand Loyalist
Brand Explorer
Road Warrior
Social Maven
Rabid Elite
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
They missed one.

Brand Loyalist
Brand Explorer
Road Warrior
Social Maven
Rabid Elite
Good one. Maybe that should be the highest elite tier level in the combined program. Rabid Elite.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: LTP, PP
There is a thread on this started at least 3 years ago. Deeply well hidden at this point I suspect because of the laughable points awarded when a decent room requires 30,000 these days. If you're not a 10 years old into cub scout or xbox badges, what a marketing joke...
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
So Marriott thinks 1000 nights is worth a special bonus of about $1.75.

New Feature: My Badges - from 2014

Refer there for appropriate mocking, which is still appropriate, IMHO.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Another reason that the badges appear to be new was that, for the better part of last year, they were inaccessible at the same time that the Marriott programmers were also making it hard to look at your past stays in a map view mode.

Yep - if they'd implemented something akin to this summer's Megabonus, the badging incentive would have definitely more appeal.

David
Old Jun 24, 2017, 12:41 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
I know about them, but they're not really worth enough for me to actively pursue them. Looks like the most you can get is 1150 points (yes, I went and calculated...)

14 brand badges * 25 = 350 pts
Brand explorer 50 + 75 + 250 = 375 pts
Road warrior 25 + 125 + 250 = 400 pts
Donation 25 pts

Total possible: 1150 pts. Given that even (the elusive) Category 1 redemption requires 7500 pts, they seem trivial. It's a nice little surprise to see when I get a badge though, so I guess that's nice.

I'd be more likely to pursue them (1) if they had larger points attached to them, like this summer's megabonus for trying different brands, or (2) if the badges reset every year (which I don't believe they do).
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I've seen this badge idea in other places too. It typically seems to be mainly targeted at kids and young adults. I don't understand why Marriott bothers with it.

Before they rolled it out, I recall taking a survey about it, with a number of questions asking about how many points would need to be awarded to make it worthwhile. I can only assume many people answered with FAR smaller numbers than I did.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 1:55 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Definitely not worth the pursuit.

And to make it laughable ... I'm Platinum for Life, was Platinum when they introduced the badges, and so will never earn the badge for silver and gold

GenevaFlyer
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer
Definitely not worth the pursuit.

And to make it laughable ... I'm Platinum for Life, was Platinum when they introduced the badges, and so will never earn the badge for silver and gold

GenevaFlyer
You aren't missing anything since you don't keep the badges as you elevate. I first signed up as a Silver. Once I got Gold, Silver went away. When I made Platinum, Gold went away. Trivial what what the badges are worth, but still.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:23 pm

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Originally Posted by Seabilly
You aren't missing anything since you don't keep the badges as you elevate. I first signed up as a Silver. Once I got Gold, Silver went away. When I made Platinum, Gold went away. Trivial what what the badges are worth, but still.
Yes, lousy implementation at best ....
Old Jun 26, 2017, 12:19 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Seabilly
Member level badges aren't even worth any points! I suppose it could be nice to keep them as you elevate (and/or de-elevate?) though.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
The badges are not meant as big promotional incentives.

They're really just for the fun of it. The badges are an opportunity for Marriott Rewards members to "collect" something.

The badges for Gold, Platinum, and such are simply level indicators. Most other badges recognize stays at various brands. The fact that there are also some points involved is a just a small bonus.

I'm sure some members have enjoyed earning badges since the badge program began, while other members don't care at all.

But nobody should be insulted by the badges. The badges are not a major part of the program.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:51 am

Let's just say Marriott has put this in the sock drawer. I'm still waiting for them to add Delta to the list.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.