Search

New Feature: My Badges

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2014, 3:02 am
Original Poster
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
New Feature: My Badges

There is are a couple of new features on the website today, including the new possibility of earning badges, some of which apparently also include a token amount of bonus points.

Another nice feature is to be able to look at all of your previous stays on a map.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
VftW reports on some of the point possibilities, and is underwhelmed.

For example, "25 points for 100 nights (that’s a whopping quarter point per night bonus), 125 points for 500 nights (another quarter point per night), and 250 points after 1000... "

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....inking-badges/
Old Aug 16, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: MR PP & LT Plat, HH Diamond, WN A+ and CP, Avis First, National E+
Originally Posted by swag
VftW reports on some of the point possibilities, and is underwhelmed.

For example, "25 points for 100 nights (that’s a whopping quarter point per night bonus), 125 points for 500 nights (another quarter point per night), and 250 points after 1000... "

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....inking-badges/
I wonder if the points are retroactive? Signed up, so I'll report back if/when any bonus points post.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 9:44 am

Does anyone understand the purpose of these "badges". You earn more than 25 points from just ordering a water at the lobby bar so it certainly has no benefit to rewards members. I can imagine young children getting gold stars or scouts collecting badges as some type of rewarding achievement, but a badge (with no other benefit than 25 reward points) because you stayed twice at a RC??? Could this be the foolish ever to be thought up by the travel industry ??
Old Aug 16, 2014, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
In the comments section of VFTW, Wandering Aramean said:

"The mistake here is believing that the points are supposed to be the motivation for the behavior. They are not.

People chase badges all the time without any points to earn for their efforts. JetBlue’s similar badges program has similar small earning potential (though the points are worth a bit more) but it is getting great traction and their return on it has been better than expected. The word-of-mouth/viral marketing nature of the badges is such that the investment to operate the program is minimal but the gains to the company are great.

Sure, you’ll earn more points signing up for a 70k point CC, but that’s a different game to play. And plenty of people play the badges games instead."

I'm w/ VFTW on this one - totally underwhelmed by points offered, but then I haven't been into chasing badges since Camp Fire Girl days . Also didn't realize that Marriott had devalued its Points Plus social media promo until I read the link above.

"Incidentally, though it’s been only two months since Marriott’s new social beta was launched, they’ve already devalued the program!

They stopped giving points for liking properties on Facebook
They reduced the reward for following a property on twitter from 250 points down to 25
They now cap earning at 4 transactions per day
At the same time though they’ve increased the number of participating properties.

As programs figure all of this stuff out (and mostly fail) you can earn a few points along the way. These efforts won’t be sending members off on major free trips. They aren’t a huge payoff for the time invested."

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Aug 16, 2014 at 9:59 am
Old Aug 16, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by JamesEaston
Could this be the foolish ever to be thought up by the travel industry ??
Yes it is.

Perhaps 3, 4 or 5 trailing zeros got left off the point values awards, that would be the only possible explanation otherwise.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 3:46 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
And I thought status stars on Lufthansa were a waste of time....
Old Aug 16, 2014, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Maybe if I check in a lot and garner many badges, I can be the mayor of Mariottville.

Old Aug 16, 2014, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I'm w/ VFTW on this one - totally underwhelmed by points offered, but then I haven't been into chasing badges since Camp Fire Girl days .
You're also not the target of this promotion. To believe otherwise is ridiculous. Everyone here is hating on it but you're not the people they're hoping to attract with this.

But the misguided hate is fun to read, I suppose.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 8:18 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
They way I look at it, any time I earn points for something I was going to do anyway, I'm happy. Sure, it's not much, but it's more than I could have earned before they made this feature.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 10:24 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by sbm12
You're also not the target of this promotion. To believe otherwise is ridiculous. Everyone here is hating on it but you're not the people they're hoping to attract with this.

Who is the target? Do people really want to post on their Facebook page that they earned some stupid badge? I block content from people who post similar online gaming stuff on Facebook. While there may be some people who collect these badges I think there is very little overall added benefit to Marriott. I think someone higher up the food chain probably suspects the same and limited the points accordingly.

Originally Posted by CMK10
They way I look at it, any time I earn points for something I was going to do anyway, I'm happy. Sure, it's not much, but it's more than I could have earned before they made this feature.
That's one way to look at it. The other way is do you really want to sell your Facebook page out for a meager amount of points. I don't.

Last edited by escapefromphl; Aug 16, 2014 at 10:31 pm
Old Aug 17, 2014, 4:08 am

This is without question the most absurd comment I've read on this site. SkiAdCock and the rest of the "haters" ARE the target of the promotion, that is why it is being discussed by everyone. If we hadn't been targeted we'd never have seen the target in our accounts. To believe otherwise is ridiculous.

On a side note, disparaging a foolish idea that was targeted to you is considered "hate"? I guess we've kicked racism and homophobia and all that so the word hate can take on a new meaning
Old Aug 17, 2014, 2:28 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

I wasn't 'hating' on it. I just said I didn't find it to be of value & I'm not into badges. Both of which are true as it pertains to me. Heck, I even quoted you explaining why it's a good deal marketing wise for Marriott. So guess that misguided goes both ways

Cheers.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus

Who are the targets? Most of the folks I know who post Farmville updates and the equivalent of "badges" aren't old enough to reserve a hotel room.

Maybe it's all the same folks who poured in after SPG starting awarding points for Foursquare check-ins. I hear that's doing cray-cray business.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 6:44 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I wonder if these schemes will provide almost free ways to keep points or miles alive in frequent guest accounts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.