Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Chase Free Night Certificate - Pre-Aug 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
How do I make a booking using a free-night cert?
Follow these steps:
  • Check the "Use points" box when conducting your search for availability. You can also filter search results by category.
  • Select a property from the search results and click "Continue" to view available rooms.
  • On the property-specific page, you will see several tabs at the top for various rate categories. You should automatically see award rooms; if not, click "Rewards Points" on the tab at top left.
  • Select a room.
  • On the reservation confirmation page, under "Choose room features," you should see a highlighted box with a note that "You have eligible e-certificates that match your reservation." Underneath that box will be radio buttons allowing you to attach your cert(s) or, in the alternative, to use points.
Can I exchange a soon-to-expire free-night cert for points? Extend its expiration? What if the cert has already expired?
Marriott Rewards customer service will normally extend an unexpired free-night cert by one year from the date of the request. (Some members have encountered resistance, especially if they have canceled the associated Chase card; if this happens, hang up and call again later.) Each cert may be extended only once.

We have no reports of Marriott allowing certs to be redeemed for points, nor any reports of Marriott allowing expired certs to be revived/extended.
If I cancel my card after the annual free-night cert has posted, will I lose the cert?
No. Once a cert is in your Marriott account, it will not be clawed back even if you cancel your card to avoid paying the annual fee.
Print Wikipost

Chase Free Night Certificate - Pre-Aug 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2008, 12:00 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by dshaz
The rest of my business is going to go to Starwood for the time being though. Their reward program makes me a feel a little better than marriott's does.
You have to go with what works for you.

I love Starwood, especially the Westin properties. It is a breeze getting awards with them, except at Whistler Westin durign ski season, as they have no standard rooms (all suites). I also like their 50% off rates for 1000 points. The downside to Starwood, and the main reason I rarely use them, is their earn to burn ratio is much worse than Marriot IMO. See the thread below for detailed analysis and discussion:

Marriott or Starwood

Last edited by aaupgrade; Jun 29, 2008 at 6:16 am Reason: typos
Old Jun 30, 2008, 5:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
how long are these certs good for

mine just posted to my account sometime this month (june) but I have no idea how long its good for
Old Jun 30, 2008, 6:16 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I do believe they are supposed to have a usable life of 6 months.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
how long are these certs good for

mine just posted to my account sometime this month (june) but I have no idea how long its good for
I had one posted to my MR account in January (with a date of 01/09/08).

Decided subsequently to use it for a date during a stay 7/7-7/12 I'd I'd previously booked.

Tried a "test" reservation to see if room rate would change (and it did - significantly).

So, I went to the Plat line to get one of the dates of the stay changed to a "rewards night" . Reservationist told me she'd change the first night (7/7) to the reward night, (maintaining the rest of the reservation as it was and telling me she chose that night because the Vis certificate expired 7/9.

So, unless something has changed, your expiration date should be the equivalent date in December, but in any case, the Plat Line should be able to confirm it.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 3:38 pm
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge

The Visa free night certificates expire six months from the date of issuance.

Ira
Old Jul 1, 2008, 7:49 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
For the record, I just returned from a trip where I used my Visa certificate. In downtown San Francisco....In the summer....On a weekend....With two weeks notice.

It can be done.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 8:09 am

It can be done, but many of the hotels do not like it.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 9:41 am

No Problem

We had no problem using our certificate. One must remember that only a portion of the house is available for rewards
Old Jul 1, 2008, 11:21 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by best
It can be done, but many of the hotels do not like it.
To the hotel it is the same as any other award certificate. They will get reimbursed for the same (pittance) amount. All they need is the certificate number.

If the hotel doesn't like reward stays in general, then that is another issue - that needs to be directed to Marriott corporate.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 7:34 am

Chase Premier free night e-certificate deposit

When Marriott / Chase switched to an automatic deposit of the renewal free night certificate this year, did anyone receive a notification from Chase when the deposit occurred? I did not receive any notification that they were switching to an electronic deposit, let alone that it was deposited. I went to use it today, and of course, it expires after six months. Marriott's position was that it was posted in my account and dated, and apparently they expect to check my account online every week to see if it was posted. They also claim that Visa sent out information on the change, and a "receipt" type thing when the deposit was made.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 9:06 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
I had the same experience - missed it totally. There was just a little reminder at the very bottom of my Marriott log-in screen about an unused e-certificate but it didn't even say what it was. I called and inquired about it.

Since this was our first credit card with Marriott, we were clueless as to how this process was going to work.

Fortunately we are going to use it right before it is set to expire in Oct.

Jan
Old Sep 10, 2008, 9:57 am
dlf

Programs: AA Plat 3MM, DL PLT, Mrt Plat, IC Amb Gld. Hil Gld,Hy Gld, AS MVP Gld
No notification...but very lucky

Ditto....but I got lucky. I happened to be making a one-night res in ATL a couple of weeks ago, and the confirmation popped up with a "free" night credit ascribed to the cc program. It does seem a tad unusual that there was either no notification of the process change.....or, it was simply so well hidden that redemption would be minimal.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 7:43 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Be mindful of the "free" certificate...

I was checking my MR account last night and noticed that I was missing a substantial amount of points! I soon realized that the "free" category 1-4 certificate that we used in ATL @ the Renassiance on Feb 28, 2009 cost me an additional 40,000!

What really urks me is just how these types of things happen. It is just irritating. When I called the help line in the very beginning, the rep sounded like everything was taken care of--the "free" certificate would be emailed to the hotel--I had to worry about nothing. Yah, right. That is until the deducted 40,000 points for the same "free" night! Here goes the emailing campaign. I have a low tolerance for these kinds of mistakes. I think the reason is....is because I know how on top of these things I am....there are so many people that lead such crazy-busy lives and have a gazillion points, they wouldn't have the time to even notice such errors and it just makes me wonder how often things like this happen w/out correction.

Anyway, I feel better.....argh.

Dawn
Old Mar 20, 2009, 5:29 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I had this same exact thing happen to me Jan 08 in KC. Nightmare to correct. And I felt lucky I spotted it.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 12:12 pm

Me three.

It's happened to me both last year and again in February.

First time I spotted it about a week before I was due to check-in.

Lezrned my lesson so when I entered one for this year (several months prior to check-in I looked for verification on my confirming email.

Sure enough, points were deducted and it took my third phone call to the Plat line to get it fixed by a CSR who clearly understoood the difference between an award on points and one by the Chase Visa certficate.

Underscores the FT mantra - If you don't get the desired results from your first call, call again (and repeat as necessary).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.