Preview 2016 hotel category changes

Old Feb 17, 16, 10:00 pm

56 hotels leave category 5 for a move up to category 6. 21 move to category 5 from category 6.

FI Moab is my biggest hit since I had a cat 5 travel package aiming at that for next year. Maybe have to push it to this summer if possible.
Old Feb 17, 16, 10:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Some nice changes in latin america . . . JW Marriott Mexico City drops to 6 and Marriott Bogota to 4.
Old Feb 17, 16, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by xyc View Post
I'm really curious: Marriott seems to have the worst award devaluations year after year after year. My heart sinks when I learn that the changes have been announced, and they're usually worse than even my worst expectations. Why do people keep voting for Marriott to win the Freddie award every year?
It might be as simple as the fact that not everyone is concerned with the same things that concern you. Additionally, the Freddie Awards encompass more than just the ability to redeem points for hotel rooms. Like in real life, many people factor in many aspects when casting a vote.
Old Feb 17, 16, 11:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by nevansm View Post
I always find it hilarious how people get fired up about the category changes. Here's what it comes down to. Like a monetary system, the value of Marriott rewards change, and there's nothing you can do about it. Use your points where you want and if you don't want to stay thereon points, find something cheaper. It's a free market and a rewards program is not exempt from this.
Being a free market also means that we can be fired up about it. If they increased the cost of a Category 3 room to a million points, would that not trouble you?
Old Feb 18, 16, 12:01 am
Suspended

Marriott Rewards has routinely alleged (and you can read the blogs both here and on Insider as well as 3rd party blogs) that the catagory changes are based upon redemptions so popular props with high redemptions can be expected to increase, and vice-versa.

While I "might" buy into this theory, it still does NOT account for how they establish the catagory of new properties because they would have no redemption history! For instance, the soon to be opened Hua Hin Marriott is now listed as a Cat 4 (the demolished one was a Cat 5) - great deal especially for New Years Eve when the buy rate is well over $300/night++

Great advice - just like airline miles - earn and burn.................

Originally Posted by myperks View Post
i thought i read somewhere it was based on ADR or something.
Old Feb 18, 16, 1:52 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge View Post
Preview 2016 hotel category changes – current categories are still available until March 24, 2016.

As anticipated, we have a sneak peek of our annual update to hotels’ categories for 2016, so you have an opportunity to take advantage of the 2015 hotel categories before they change on March 24, 2016.

See the full list of hotel category changes. If you book by March 24, you can redeem for your stay under the 2015 rates even if you stay after that date.

How many hotels are affected?
82% of the properties remain unchanged.
62% of all the properties will remain in Categories 1-4.
18% of the hotels are changing. Of those changing, 30% are decreasing by one category and 70% are increasing by one category.

*NEW!* – March 24, 2016 is also the day you can begin mixing cash and points for reservations of one night or more using the NEW Cash + Points.

Please note:
-All redemption reservations booked on or before March 24, 2016 will be honored at the current point price, even if the stay occurs after March 24, 2016. If you have not ordered your certificate prior to March 24, 2016, contact Guest Services prior to your stay to request the lower-priced certificate.
-As always, you may book redemption reservations up to 50 weeks in advance of your stay, even before having the required points in your account.
Thanks for the tip.

The listings for the Courtyards in Bradenton/Sarasota Florida area are sort of mixed up. There is a Courtyard Bradenton/Sarasota Riverfront, and a Courtyard Sarasota University Park.

The exhibit you linked to show a Courtyard Bradenton University Park, and a Courtyard Sarasota/Bradenton. Can you tell me which is which? Thanks!
Old Feb 18, 16, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Wow the CY and FFI Boston-Cambridge going to Cat8, insane. No FFI is worth that many points. Along with the CYs and FFIs out in the suburban area an hour from Boston are all going up 1 cat.

Good new though, the Marriott Kazakhstan is moving down a level to Cat 2!
Old Feb 18, 16, 8:17 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by leeky View Post
While I "might" buy into this theory, it still does NOT account for how they establish the catagory of new properties because they would have no redemption history!
I'm not seeing how establishing the initial hotel category level validates or invalidates whether they use redemption levels for on-going category level changes.

I would think they make their best "educated" guess as to what the redemption levels might be and assign the initial category level from that. After a period of time (i.e 6 months, 1 year, etc.) they will re-evaluate based on actual redemptions and make any category level changes required.

How do they get that "educated" guess? They could ask the GM what s/he wants the category level to be and go with that. They could look at similar hotels either close by or in similar location types and use their category levels. There are a number of ways they could do it. But none of those reinforces or invalidates how their on-going category level changes would occur.
Old Feb 18, 16, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by xyc View Post
I'm really curious: Marriott seems to have the worst award devaluations year after year after year. My heart sinks when I learn that the changes have been announced, and they're usually worse than even my worst expectations. Why do people keep voting for Marriott to win the Freddie award every year?
What is your basis for "seems"? Hilton has been decimated far worse than MR. I've performed an analysis of the moves each year, and they are usually in line with expectations/average of other programs.

Winning awards tends to support the argument that they don't "seem" to be the worst to the vast majority of the (voting) public.
Old Feb 18, 16, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachfan View Post
Thanks for the tip.

The listings for the Courtyards in Bradenton/Sarasota Florida area are sort of mixed up. There is a Courtyard Bradenton/Sarasota Riverfront, and a Courtyard Sarasota University Park.

The exhibit you linked to show a Courtyard Bradenton University Park, and a Courtyard Sarasota/Bradenton. Can you tell me which is which? Thanks!
"Courtyard Sarasota Bradenton" is listed as going from 4 to 5. The only CY of the three in the area that is a Cat 4 today is Courtyard Sarasota Bradenton Airport.

Of the other two, one has University Park in the name, so I suspect that matches the one one the list with University Park in the name.

So, while they should correct this, as it's just sloppy, I'd wager its:
- Courtyard Sarasota Bradenton = Courtyard Sarasota Bradenton Airport
- Courtyard Bradenton University Park = Courtyard Sarasota University Park/Lakewood Ranch Area
Old Feb 18, 16, 9:00 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by nevansm View Post
I always find it hilarious how people get fired up about the category changes. Here's what it comes down to. Like a monetary system, the value of Marriott rewards change, and there's nothing you can do about it.
A monetary system (such as the US) doesn't cause the pile of cash under your mattress to devalue by 20% over night (the critical move from Cat 5 to Cat 6)...

I agree there is nothing to do but smile, smile, smile

And burn before you can be burned but some of us just can't get up and go that often due to life's circumstances.
Old Feb 18, 16, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IIRC, MR claims it's based on award demand and SPG claims it's based on ADR.
Old Feb 18, 16, 10:23 am

Programs: AA GLD 1MM, WN AList CP, MR PLT, HH DIA, SPG PLT, IHG SPI
Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge View Post
As anticipated, we have a sneak peek of our annual update to hotels’ categories for 2016, so you have an opportunity to take advantage of the 2015 hotel categories before they change on March 24, 2016.
Here's an idea. How about getting your incompetent MR team find a way to tweak the system with the franchisees and owners to do this every 3-5 years instead of this ridiculous annual charade?
Old Feb 18, 16, 10:24 am

Programs: AA GLD 1MM, WN AList CP, MR PLT, HH DIA, SPG PLT, IHG SPI
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal View Post
The good hotels were already maxed out.

That's why I was worried about 10!
Yep, countdown to Cat 10 and variable points for days of week or special events like HH and WN is coming soon....
Old Feb 18, 16, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At Marriott or elsewhere? Each chain may do it differently.

At Marriott, I routinely find low-redemption high-cost properties in some places and high-redemption low-cost properties in other places. I see no correlation between redemption and cost. I do see correlation between redemption and redemption demand. (People who are on business trips rarely do redemptions. People who are on leisure trips much more often do redemptions. People don't necessarily go for the same hotels in all areas for leisure trips as business trips, and thus a divergence between hotels with cash demand vs hotels with redemption demand.)

There are some other programs, however, where it's much harder to find a divergence between typical cash cost and redemption cost. So I don't doubt that some other programs may do it based on ADR or such.

Search this Thread