Preview 2016 hotel category changes

Old Feb 19, 16, 7:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by cova View Post
Seems like mostly low end hotels that are increasing - don't see many hotels in the list where I stay. The move from Cat 5 to 6 affects the CC certificate.

Only one that impacts me is: Courtyard Los Angeles LAX/El Segundo
This was the last Cat 5 hotel at LAX - now it is going to 6.

Just not sure where to use the Cat 5 now. I usually redeem for Cat 9 hotels, and good than 9 remains the top.
Appears there is still one LAX property at Cat 5: Residence Inn Los Angeles LAX/El Segundo. It has complimentary airport shuttle and I did not see it on the list as increasing from the current Cat 5.
Old Feb 19, 16, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
Appears there is still one LAX property at Cat 5: Residence Inn Los Angeles LAX/El Segundo. It has complimentary airport shuttle and I did not see it on the list as increasing from the current Cat 5.
There is also a TownePlace near LAX that's going up from Cat 4 to Cat 5, though the TownePlace doesn't have a shuttle.

Btw, while the Residence Inn near LAX now has a shuttle per its website, in a thread in another forum someone said they stayed there a year ago and at that time they didn't have a shuttle. (I never looked at the RI LAX website before yesterday, so I don't know if the shuttle is really new or not.)
Old Feb 19, 16, 8:44 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton, Marriott/SPG Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by leeky View Post
RC props are among those on yesterdays list; ie

The Ritz-Carlton, Montreal
Tier 3 to 4

The Ritz-Carlton, Kyoto
Tier 4 to 5
Originally Posted by rylan View Post
There are a few Ritz properties listed in the changes.
My Command-F failed me this time... Thanks for setting me straight.
Old Feb 19, 16, 9:43 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
JW in Rio going from a 9 to 8. Interesting. I though this hotel was ALWAYS booked. Wonder why the dropped it, especially with the Olympics coming up.
Old Feb 19, 16, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624 View Post
JW in Rio going from a 9 to 8. Interesting. I though this hotel was ALWAYS booked. Wonder why the dropped it, especially with the Olympics coming up.
http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/USDBRL:CUR

Even though loyalty points tend to devalue over time, sometimes other things devalue quicker
Old Feb 19, 16, 1:30 pm

Programs: *S (TK), Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold
I'm shocked - of the ~60 high value properties I keep note of, only one is going up in category. Can this list be real? I've been conditioned to expect much worse (Last 2 years were massacres).

Question. Does anyone know which "Fairfield Inn Columbus" is going from 2-1? Doens't look like Ohio or Indiana.
Old Feb 19, 16, 2:00 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by italdesign View Post
I'm shocked - of the ~60 high value properties I keep note of, only one is going up in category. Can this list be real?
If you want conspiracy theories, then this might just be a holding update to keep things close to in place until they are ready to roll out the "combined" Marriott/SPG program. At that point they will add a new category levels (i.e. lvl 10). And then they can do the "real" category changes they aren't doing right now.
Old Feb 19, 16, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
I'm shocked - of the ~60 high value properties I keep note of, only one is going up in category. Can this list be real? I've been conditioned to expect much worse (Last 2 years were massacres).

Question. Does anyone know which "Fairfield Inn Columbus" is going from 2-1? Doens't look like Ohio or Indiana.
I'd guess Columbus GA.
Old Feb 19, 16, 6:48 pm

[/B]Does anyone know which "Fairfield Inn Columbus" is going from 2-1? Doens't look like Ohio or Indiana.
Same question for the assorted "Springfield" properties.

Marriott Concierge, it would be a lot more helpful if you sorted the lists not alphabetically (which means by hotel brand), but rather by state and then city. Please.
Old Feb 20, 16, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by beltway View Post
Marriott Concierge, it would be a lot more helpful if you sorted the lists not alphabetically (which means by hotel brand), but rather by state and then city. Please.
Agree, but I think the by alphabet is actually an improvement over previous years listings. They've traditionally done a crap job of listing the changes.

Cheers.
Old Feb 20, 16, 9:12 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by eternaltransit View Post
http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/USDBRL:CUR

Even though loyalty points tend to devalue over time, sometimes other things devalue quicker
My understanding is the category assigned to a property is linked to the amount of points bookings. So Marriott's best values are in the areas where the least tourism occurs. A currency drop will make a points value less attractive so may lower the number of bookings, I suspect Zika has softened points bookings going forward. I noticed that no changes in South Africa even though their currency has been falling over the last year or so.
Old Feb 20, 16, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
Agree, but I think the by alphabet is actually an improvement over previous years listings. They've traditionally done a crap job of listing the changes.
I'd forgotten that -- effects of trauma, perhaps -- but you're absolutely right. I defy anyone to explain the sort criteria for the 2015 category change list.
Old Feb 20, 16, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by escapefromphl View Post
My understanding is the category assigned to a property is linked to the amount of points bookings. So Marriott's best values are in the areas where the least tourism occurs. A currency drop will make a points value less attractive so may lower the number of bookings, I suspect Zika has softened points bookings going forward. I noticed that no changes in South Africa even though their currency has been falling over the last year or so.
Category assignation is entirely so Marriott doesn't lose money on the difference between the revenue gained from sales of points given to customers and the cash reimbursement they have to make in USD to a property for that rewards stay (which is based on the trailing 12-month ADR performance of a property).

It may well be that they go further and look at the average revenue gained by Marriott for the points used at each property on a more individual property basis (e.g. the travellers who use 40k points in one continent may have a different per-point income to Marriott than 40k points earned and used in a different part of the world) and so make more adjustments based on that.

In the South African cases, even with a devalued currency, the equivalent USD room rate may have remained constant due to perhaps their guest mix and contracted rates.
Old Mar 25, 16, 12:54 am

Programs: AA PLT, WN A List, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz 5*
In general, I have found new, non-luxury properties tend to get a reasonable category for the first year. Hence, good use of the cat 1-5 certificates. One Springhill I visited in that situation is now moving to a category 7. It is pretty clear that reward demand is driving the categories from my view even if the nightly rate is not very high.

The redemption value of the category 1-5 certificates I've had has ranged from a nightly rate of $99 to $150 to $180 to $209 to $349 (before tax). It has to be above $85 (based on the Chase AF price). I still think Chase needs to go to cat 1-6 certificates to retain the value of its program, but it was nice to see MB offer a cat 1-5 certificate as it allows a two night stay on certificates (Chase + MB).

The reason I think MR gets good ratings is that if a standard room is for sale (non Plat force reservation), a reward room is usually available. Now, I've had the experience sometimes where I would check and no reward room shows up, but if I keep checking diligently, I've had them eventually show up. I have a feeling that there is some system alert when a regular room is for sale, but no reward avail. I don't know for sure.

Now that rewards count for nights stayed, there is a little less hesitation to redeem points for nights. MR has noted that it is tracking how many category 1-4 properties are out there, but in the US, it is hard to find many that are in popular tourism areas. At the same time, I think it is very hard for a property to stick at category 6 or 7 that just got shifted up. It has to be an exceptional location or unique place. Once you leave the certificate zone, people have to think a little more to redeem up or the cash rate has to be exceptionally high. I feel that does lead to some properties coming back down.

Rasheed
Old Mar 25, 16, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does this Ritz Carlton still exist?

It is found on the Moving Down section.

United Arab Emirates

Category or Tier 2

Category or Tier
The Ritz-Carlton Abu Dhabi Resort & Spa 1

The only Ritz Carton at Abu Dhabi is called The Ritz-Carton Abu Dhabi, Grand Canal. Is this the same hotel?

Last edited by Happy; Mar 25, 16 at 10:49 pm

Search this Thread