FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Preview 2016 hotel category changes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1747178-preview-2016-hotel-category-changes.html)

Marriott Concierge Feb 17, 2016 2:06 pm

Preview 2016 hotel category changes

Preview 2016 hotel category changes – current categories are still available until March 24, 2016.

As anticipated, we have a sneak peek of our annual update to hotels’ categories for 2016, so you have an opportunity to take advantage of the 2015 hotel categories before they change on March 24, 2016.

See the full list of hotel category changes. If you book by March 24, you can redeem for your stay under the 2015 rates even if you stay after that date.

How many hotels are affected?
82% of the properties remain unchanged.
62% of all the properties will remain in Categories 1-4.
18% of the hotels are changing. Of those changing, 30% are decreasing by one category and 70% are increasing by one category.

*NEW!* – March 24, 2016 is also the day you can begin mixing cash and points for reservations of one night or more using the NEW Cash + Points.

Please note:
-All redemption reservations booked on or before March 24, 2016 will be honored at the current point price, even if the stay occurs after March 24, 2016. If you have not ordered your certificate prior to March 24, 2016, contact Guest Services prior to your stay to request the lower-priced certificate.
-As always, you may book redemption reservations up to 50 weeks in advance of your stay, even before having the required points in your account.

VickiSoCal Feb 17, 2016 2:18 pm

No Category 10. Whew.

joshua362 Feb 17, 2016 3:57 pm

Notice the sneaky change, "If you book by March 24, you can redeem for your stay under the 2015 rates even if you stay after that date". This used to be Mid May.

Let the analysis begin, I don't predict good things...

myperks Feb 17, 2016 4:03 pm

i would think with the strong USD, more foreign properties would go down ;)

Originally Posted by joshua362 (Post 26201471)
Notice the sneaky change, "If you book by March 24, you can redeem for your stay under the 2015 rates even if you stay after that date". This used to be Mid May.

Let the analysis begin, I don't predict good things...

you are mistaken... last year was March 19. we get 1 extra week this year :D

escapefromphl Feb 17, 2016 4:16 pm

Courtyard Scottsdale North a category 7 - wow.
My favorite 2015 cat 5 redemption is going up to 6.
Looks like a few properties dropped in France, Russia and Turkey, for obvious reasons.

Jiatong Feb 17, 2016 4:39 pm

Not many Int. changes this year.

ExpatSomchai Feb 17, 2016 4:55 pm

I do like the cash+points idea which seems to shadow what SPG currently offer. This to me is a positive sign however the criteria which will define whether or not the merger of the two programmes will satisfy both SPG and MR afficionadoes will be the ultimate currency and how MR and SPG points fit into this without devaluation of either programme.

joshua362 Feb 17, 2016 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by myperks (Post 26201494)
you are mistaken... last year was March 19. we get 1 extra week this year :D

My bad, not sure where I got the May date, maybe that was the standard years before... :o:o:o

VickiSoCal Feb 17, 2016 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Jiatong (Post 26201675)
Not many Int. changes this year.

The good hotels were already maxed out.

That's why I was worried about 10!

Westcoaster Feb 17, 2016 6:41 pm

Thanks for the heads up, Concierge. One question:

Will the points portion of the Cash and Points rates be lower on March 24 than on March 25 for the hotels that are going up a category? i.e. Since March 24 is the first day we can book Cash and Points and it's the last day we can book at the 2015 rates does it mean we effectively have that one day to get the best deal for Cash and Points stays on hotels that are changing category?

I hope so. I do love a sale. :)

nevansm Feb 17, 2016 7:18 pm

I always find it hilarious how people get fired up about the category changes. Here's what it comes down to. Like a monetary system, the value of Marriott rewards change, and there's nothing you can do about it. Use your points where you want and if you don't want to stay thereon points, find something cheaper. It's a free market and a rewards program is not exempt from this.

leeky Feb 17, 2016 7:52 pm

if catagory changes are in fact based upon redemptions the value of the US$, whether up or down, is not applicable

Originally Posted by myperks (Post 26201494)
i would think with the strong USD, more foreign properties would go down ;)

darthbimmer Feb 17, 2016 8:05 pm

Not getting too upset about this one. Several hotels I might stay at in the coming year went up a category. Though most of them were already too expensive on points relative to the cash rates I usually book, so there's no loss there. A few interesting hotels did come down one category. Including some full service hotels that dropped from Cat 6 to the critical Cat 5 level.

myperks Feb 17, 2016 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by leeky (Post 26202489)
if catagory changes are in fact based upon redemptions the value of the US$, whether up or down, is not applicable

i thought i read somewhere it was based on ADR or something.

xyc Feb 17, 2016 9:52 pm

I'm really curious: Marriott seems to have the worst award devaluations year after year after year. My heart sinks when I learn that the changes have been announced, and they're usually worse than even my worst expectations. Why do people keep voting for Marriott to win the Freddie award every year?