Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Preview 2016 hotel category changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Preview 2016 hotel category changes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2016, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
Just called and turned my two unused Cat 1-5 certs (one from my Marriott CC, the other from the spring megabonus) into 25k points/each. Worthless trying to use at a cat 1-5 property. Not looking to stay at a SHS in some way far out location...
Old Mar 28, 2016, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by ssafro1
Just called and turned my two unused Cat 1-5 certs (one from my Marriott CC, the other from the spring megabonus) into 25k points/each. Worthless trying to use at a cat 1-5 property. Not looking to stay at a SHS in some way far out location...
Which number did you call to get this to happen? They haven't been receptive to doing this for me, although I agree with what you said.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by JW6130
Which number did you call to get this to happen? They haven't been receptive to doing this for me, although I agree with what you said.
Called the customer service line and had to bump my way up to a few supervisors while constantly b*tching about how worthless these are and finally one of them said "There, I cancelled your certificates and deposited 50k points into your account. Happy?" Real friendly customer service! ha This after a few agents saying there was no way to turn them into points, extend them or book any property which was a cat 5 until a week ago (which was what I was originally trying to get them to do...)
Old Mar 28, 2016, 7:13 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ssafro1
Called the customer service line and had to bump my way up to a few supervisors while constantly b*tching about how worthless these are and finally one of them said "There, I cancelled your certificates and deposited 50k points into your account. Happy?" Real friendly customer service! ha This after a few agents saying there was no way to turn them into points, extend them or book any property which was a cat 5 until a week ago (which was what I was originally trying to get them to do...)
So in other words, it may be more difficult for those of us who simply ask the first level representative for this perk.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 5:09 pm

I just called. Strike out #1. Girl was reading from a script. She said CC and Mega bonus nights cannot be exchanged. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was advised I was wasting their time and would receive the same answer.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by nightowlrn
I just called. Strike out #1. Girl was reading from a script. She said CC and Mega bonus nights cannot be exchanged. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was advised I was wasting their time and would receive the same answer.
HUCA. Not sure whether status comes into play. Here is how it looks from my transaction history in my account:

03/28/16 Bonus GOODWILL ADJUSTMENT 50,000 points
03/28/16 Reward PREMIER VISA ANNIV CAT 1-5 HOTELS 0 points Ordered
03/28/16 Reward SPRING MB 2016 (CAT 1-5) 0 points Ordered
Old Mar 31, 2016, 4:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta PLAT, Marriot Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, A couple of other airlines - pee on
I like that some of the Canadian hotels went down. The Calgary airport hotels are awesome and now down to cat 3. Score!
Old Apr 1, 2016, 4:41 am

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
+1

Originally Posted by kaaria
I like that some of the Canadian hotels went down. The Calgary airport hotels are awesome and now down to cat 3. Score!
Agree, & the CAD$ is about 75 cents US.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 8:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold
Agghhh I totally missed this! I had enough points and an cat 4 e-cert for 6 nights at a residence inn in the lax area in May. Now I won't be able to use my expiring e-cert and will have to shed some $. *go cries in corner*
Old Apr 2, 2016, 8:33 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by msNJV
Agghhh I totally missed this! I had enough points and an cat 4 e-cert for 6 nights at a residence inn in the lax area in May. Now I won't be able to use my expiring e-cert and will have to shed some $. *go cries in corner*
You hadn't already booked the stay? If you booked before 3/24 it is still good.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 1:46 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
"GOODWILL ADJUSTMENT" a.k.a. "Courtesy Adjustment" are English for British Airways' Latin term "Ex Gratia." Remember that 'un from last year's security lockdown ? Correct Classical Latin pronunciation is "ex grah-TEE-ah," accepted Modern English is "ex GRAY-shuh."
Old Apr 4, 2016, 12:47 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by Michilander
You hadn't already booked the stay? If you booked before 3/24 it is still good.
I didn't book before 3/24. Totally missed this devaluation. I assumed it wouldn't be this soon!
Old Apr 4, 2016, 3:53 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Does anybody have a record of the dates of previous devaluations? IIRC they usually take effect in March, but there was just one year when MR waited until May.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 4:52 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Brendan
Does anybody have a record of the dates of previous devaluations? IIRC they usually take effect in March, but there was just one year when MR waited until May.
At least several years it was mid May, that might have been the standard before last year and this years annual devaluation, why the move except for greed...
Old Apr 4, 2016, 6:05 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
2009 - Announced May 11 last day to book old categories Jul 16
2010 - Announced Feb 24 last day to book old categories Mar 8
2011 - Announced Feb 24 last day to book old categories Mar 8
2012 - Announced Feb 27 last day to book old categories Mar 15
2013 - Announced Feb 11 last day to book old categories May 16
2014 - Announced Mar 18 last day to book old categories Apr 8
2015 - Announced Feb 25 last day to book old categories Mar 18
2016 - Announced Feb 18 last day to book old categories Mar 24

Last edited by aaupgrade; Apr 4, 2016 at 6:26 am Reason: Added more info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.