Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Question about expiration date for the experts:

If Marriott is going to be unwilling to extend expiration of certificates (like they do now), does the expiration date need to be earlier than check-out date or is based on check-in date.

Ideally, I was hoping to use this for either August or November 2019 but I guess it may not be possible.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Rusdude
Question about expiration date for the experts:

If Marriott is going to be unwilling to extend expiration of certificates (like they do now), does the expiration date need to be earlier than check-out date or is based on check-in date.

Ideally, I was hoping to use this for either August or November 2019 but I guess it may not be possible.
There is no reason to believe that Marriott will not renew the e-certificates from packages for an additional year. I recently requested a package. I currently plan to use the hotel portion in September 2019, after the current expiration date. The Marriott Rewards rep assured me that I would be able to renew once for an additional year.

Could the the Marriott rep be wrong? Sure. But I don't think so. There is no reason for Marriott to put in a change that will anger and frustrate good Marriott customers, especially because the one-year extension does not inflict any real cost on hotels or on corporate marketing.
Rusdude likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
I'm not worried. I ordered 2 UA packages last year, and 3 more in the past month. They typically take 3 days to post for me. Today is day 4.
Just wanted to share my experience. We (husband & wife) own Marriott timeshare and sometime we traded our week for MR points. My husband's name is on MR account. On 7/24, I called MVC to redeem 2 5-night travel packages. the rep told me that I can have the miles deposited to my UA account and the miles should be posted within 3 business days. I did not see the miles posted so I called back and was told that the name on UA account has to be the same name on MR account but I should wait for another 4 business days to see if the miles posted to my account. Yesterday, when I called back again, they said that the miles is posted to my husband's UA account. I told them that that's not the case because 1) I never put in his UA mileage # in his MR account and 2) I logged on my husband's UA account and did not see the miles. She then did a "work order" to have the miles taken back from my UA account to move to my husband's account. I told her that miles was NOT posted to my account and that's the reason why I had to call. Anyway, to make the story short, today, I logged on my husband's UA account, and the miles posted.
The first time (to redeem the travel package) took 15 minutes. The second time took 1 1/2 hour and the last time took almost 2 hrs.
BTW, during the second time, Marriott told me that if miles don't post, I should contact UA. I told them that I initiate the transaction with Marriott and Marriott have the record for this transaction, NOT UA, so I don't understand why I should call UA.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by Trang
BTW, during the second time, Marriott told me that if miles don't post, I should contact UA. I told them that I initiate the transaction with Marriott and Marriott have the record for this transaction, NOT UA, so I don't understand why I should call UA.
Ridiculous, Marriott rep initially try to tell me the same thing - call UA. I called UA and UA rep said they can't see the miles until they post on my account.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:19 am

I was wondering...I am not an MVC owner but my dad is. I was hoping to redeem a 5 night package, but was wondering if there were any DPs of Marriott allowing this for a direct family member of an MVC owner?

I know some reps will give them out on accident but that you can get audited and in trouble later for it (them too). I don't want to cause that kind of trouble, so wondering if having my dad on the phone or providing his info will make this a legitimate booking.

Thoughts?
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:27 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
You might try asking this question in the Marriott forum on Timeshare Users Group - Marriott Forum.
controller1 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 12:10 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Horace
There is no reason to believe that Marriott will not renew the e-certificates from packages for an additional year. I recently requested a package. I currently plan to use the hotel portion in September 2019, after the current expiration date. The Marriott Rewards rep assured me that I would be able to renew once for an additional year.

Could the the Marriott rep be wrong? Sure. But I don't think so. There is no reason for Marriott to put in a change that will anger and frustrate good Marriott customers, especially because the one-year extension does not inflict any real cost on hotels or on corporate marketing.
I am not fully convinced and think there is a risk. If they go very generous on the treatment of floater certs, I could see them ending the historical practice of extending validity to limit the $$ exposure of the conversion to the new program.
Personally I would much prefer a 'fair' conversion, perhaps mapping old categories to new -- and continue to allow us 1 extension, rather than some of the more wild theories of points windfalls that some expect.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by soy
Personally I would much prefer a 'fair' conversion, perhaps mapping old categories to new -- and continue to allow us 1 extension, rather than some of the more wild theories of points windfalls that some expect.
The problem is there's no "fair" way to convert these certificates equitably for everyone. If these certificates remain in one form or another post 8/18, there's no guarantee they would still be extendable as they're now.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Trang
Just wanted to share my experience. We (husband & wife) own Marriott timeshare and sometime we traded our week for MR points. My husband's name is on MR account. On 7/24, I called MVC to redeem 2 5-night travel packages. the rep told me that I can have the miles deposited to my UA account and the miles should be posted within 3 business days. I did not see the miles posted so I called back and was told that the name on UA account has to be the same name on MR account but I should wait for another 4 business days to see if the miles posted to my account. Yesterday, when I called back again, they said that the miles is posted to my husband's UA account. I told them that that's not the case because 1) I never put in his UA mileage # in his MR account and 2) I logged on my husband's UA account and did not see the miles. She then did a "work order" to have the miles taken back from my UA account to move to my husband's account. I told her that miles was NOT posted to my account and that's the reason why I had to call. Anyway, to make the story short, today, I logged on my husband's UA account, and the miles posted.
The first time (to redeem the travel package) took 15 minutes. The second time took 1 1/2 hour and the last time took almost 2 hrs.
I honestly believe the rep has misinformed you because the NAME on the airlines FFPs NEED TO MATCH the name of the name of the MR account from which the miles were redeemed. Else most airlines would "reject" the transfer. You follow this thread you see Virgain Atlantic has done this to a few posters that their names not matched 100% or whatever.

When you first posted the redemption I was quite skeptical that would work. Turned out it was nothing but a lot more hassle to get it done the only allowed way.

The rep should never tell you that you could get the miles sent to your UA account.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 12:31 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

My UA miles were deposited in one or two days.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by PumpkinSmasher
Should be an email from Marriott Thurs (or Fri at the latest) about the TPs and the IT blackout coming encouraging you to book your packages now.
Actually am told now it will likely be Monday. I guess they're running behind. Not sure how it will all play out now!
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by tth6133
The problem is there's no "fair" way to convert these certificates equitably for everyone. If these certificates remain in one form or another post 8/18, there's no guarantee they would still be extendable as they're now.
Let's suppose I recently redeemed Rewards points for an MVCI-member 5-night travel package for a Category 7 hotel and 120,000 airline miles. I would currently have this e-certificate in my account:

Rewards Certificate 5 Night Travel Package Category 7 Hotels - 270,000 Points - Expires 07/21/2019

I could use the e-certificate now, but I have until almost a year from now. If I wanted to use it now for a higher category hotel, I could call Marriott Member Services and pay points for the difference to a higher category. Also, I could ask Member Services to extend the expiration date.

August 18, 2018, the current structure of Marriott Categories and R-C Tiers goes away, and the Starwood legacy properties will join the program. There's a completely different redemption chart. I would expect my account to show this:

Rewards Certificate 5 Night Travel Package 35,000 Points Per Night Hotel - 270,000 Points - Expires 07/21/2019

I still expect to be able to call Member Services to pay points to move the e-certificate to a higher value. I still expect to be able to extend the expiration.

I don't expect much to change, except to be compatible with the new redemption structure. Anything better, such as Marriott "rounding up" to the next new category when point values between old and new categories don't align, would be great, but I don't expect it.

In other words, I don't expect a windfall, but I also don't expect to be cheated. Neither would be in Marriott's interest.
rny321 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tth6133
Sure there is: for every unattached cert, give the member a new Cat 4 and a points refund matching the difference in cost between their old category and old category 5. Maybe the expiration date on all certificates be August 30, 2019 so nobody can complain that they're getting stuck with a low-cat certificate and no time to earn points and upgrade back to a higher new category.

Everybody's made whole on points, no one gets a windfall. You're subject to the new categories, which are bigger steps up than the old categories, but that's what you live with by not attaching the cert before the changeover.

They *could* do this. Whether they do, or take a more customer-friendly path of letting some members receive "half-category" windfalls, I don't know.

Since we're going to live in the Marriott system, I don't expect the ability to upgrade or extend a certificate in the future to change.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Horace
Let's suppose I recently redeemed Rewards points for an MVCI-member 5-night travel package for a Category 7 hotel and 120,000 airline miles. I would currently have this e-certificate in my account:

Rewards Certificate 5 Night Travel Package Category 7 Hotels - 270,000 Points - Expires 07/21/2019

I could use the e-certificate now, but I have until almost a year from now. If I wanted to use it now for a higher category hotel, I could call Marriott Member Services and pay points for the difference to a higher category. Also, I could ask Member Services to extend the expiration date.

August 18, 2018, the current structure of Marriott Categories and R-C Tiers goes away, and the Starwood legacy properties will join the program. There's a completely different redemption chart. I would expect my account to show this:

Rewards Certificate 5 Night Travel Package 35,000 Points Per Night Hotel - 270,000 Points - Expires 07/21/2019

I still expect to be able to call Member Services to pay points to move the e-certificate to a higher value. I still expect to be able to extend the expiration.

I don't expect much to change, except to be compatible with the new redemption structure. Anything better, such as Marriott "rounding up" to the next new category when point values between old and new categories don't align, would be great, but I don't expect it.

In other words, I don't expect a windfall, but I also don't expect to be cheated. Neither would be in Marriott's interest.
What you just described is one of the possible outcomes for TP certificates post 8/18. There're quite a few other possibilities. Some of them equally likely and others less likely. We just don't know. If we believe some of the people at Marriott have said (and I have no reason to doubt them), Marriott hasn't made its final decision with these legacy certificates, because of their pending IT upgrades. We all hope for the best, but we may also be disappointed in one aspect or another on 8/18.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Sure there is: for every unattached cert, give the member a new Cat 4 and a points refund matching the difference in cost between their old category and old category 5. Maybe the expiration date on all certificates be August 30, 2019 so nobody can complain that they're getting stuck with a low-cat certificate and no time to earn points and upgrade back to a higher new category.

Everybody's made whole on points, no one gets a windfall. You're subject to the new categories, which are bigger steps up than the old categories, but that's what you live with by not attaching the cert before the changeover.

They *could* do this. Whether they do, or take a more customer-friendly path of letting some members receive "half-category" windfalls, I don't know.

Since we're going to live in the Marriott system, I don't expect the ability to upgrade or extend a certificate in the future to change.
No, that's not a "fair" way for some certificate holders. For example, if you had bought a cat-9 certificate or one of certificates for RCs, you'd expect you could use it for one of top hotels post 8/18. If your certificate now becomes a new cat-4 certificate, and even if you're allowed to upgrade to some higher new category, the cost of the upgrade would be significantly higher based on the new chart than the amount of refund you could have received.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.