Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2018, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
I see 4 real options here and 2 make the most sense as I wrote on my blog: https://www.dansdeals.com/points-tra...ing-advantage/

Annoying that Marriott won't announce it before it's too late, but I guess they don't want to cause a massive demand for lucrative packages now.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
My guess is that they'll convert everything to the new Cat 1-4 cert, refund the excess points, and allow people to buy back up the new category chart as needed.
or they may not be saying anything because nothing is changing.. old category certs will be valid for new cats.. those exceeding new cats will get points back
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
My guess is that they'll convert everything to the new Cat 1-4 cert, refund the excess points, and allow people to buy back up the new category chart as needed.
Upgrading new certs, which are based on peak pricing, is much more expensive than upgrading old certs. What you’re proposing would be a devaluation of all but old 1-5 certs.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:36 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
I see 4 real options here and 2 make the most sense as I wrote on my blog: https://www.dansdeals.com/points-tra...ing-advantage/

Annoying that Marriott won't announce it before it's too late, but I guess they don't want to cause a massive demand for lucrative packages now.
If you want to use FlyerTalk to boost your blog visits perhaps you should user an editor and at least verify your figures. Cut & Paste can be a time saver, but also a killer too. Your blog needs a little pizazz, pretty boring. When 45K +235K = 270K, I kind of lost interest in the hype!

Well at least you agree the residual value of a certificate is 45K, otherwise we would all be lining up cancelling our cetificates for the 150K points, adding 120K, redeeming another TP for another 120K FF Miles, wash, rinse, repeat.

James
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:13 am
Original Member

Hello all
It will be interesting to see how this all pans out.

I currently have an unused Cat 1 - 5 certificate. I suspect I will be more likely to use a Cat 8 property but not sure which one. What are your thoughts on upgrading the certificate to be category 8 - is this less risky than keeping a Cat 1-5 cetifiicate? From what I've read, it may be safer to attach to a property but not sure which hotel i will end up using it at.

Thanks1
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
My call:

Legacy Category X certificates will be converted to nights points-based certificate corresponding to Category X in the New Marriott Rewards.

Exception:
Legacy Category 9 and above will be converted to Category 8 in the New Marriott Rewards, the high available category.

Legacy cat 6 cert will become a cat 6 (50K per night)

Marriott will not give advance notice to avoid a run on higher category certs, and will claim no notice was warranted because "there was no change" in category. for certs at categories 8 and under
So the legacy Cat 6 (currently costing 30K per night) becomes a new Cat 6 worth 50K points per night, and the legacy Cat 7 (currently costing 35K per night) goes to a new Cat 7 worth 60K points per night?

Doesn't seem to make much sense to me, since most old Cat 7 hotels seem to be "downgraded" to Cat 5 hotels under the new system, and accordingly will still cost 35K per night. What would make sense is if Marriott simply converted to the old point value, as they're apparently going to do with the old Cat 1-5s credit card free night certificates (i.e., up to 25K per night, which makes it a free Cat 1 - 4 night under the new system).
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 4:04 am

This is an unwieldy thread with no wiki, so I apologize if this is widely known. I have tried several search term combos and have not been able to find this addressed, nonetheless answered.

Question: If I redeem a travel package, must the miles go to MY account? Could I instead have Marriott send them to anyone? (Or at least my spouse or son who share same address and same last name?

Background: I have accumulated more Marriott points than my spouse, but she has more miles (and status). We want to use the miles to top op my spouse's FF balance to book our award and capitalize on her airline status.

Thanks!
Old Jul 20, 2018, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by Surgee
This is an unwieldy thread with no wiki, so I apologize if this is widely known. I have tried several search term combos and have not been able to find this addressed, nonetheless answered.

Question: If I redeem a travel package, must the miles go to MY account? Could I instead have Marriott send them to anyone? (Or at least my spouse or son who share same address and same last name?

Background: I have accumulated more Marriott points than my spouse, but she has more miles (and status). We want to use the miles to top op my spouse's FF balance to book our award and capitalize on her airline status.

Thanks!
AFAIK the miles will be transferred to the account that you name. Marriott doesn't and cannot check the ownership of the account. Happy travels.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by AbelianGrape

Upgrading new certs, which are based on peak pricing, is much more expensive than upgrading old certs. What you’re proposing would be a devaluation of all but old 1-5 certs.
Not really. For example, new Cat 5 is 35K/night and that corresponds with old Cat 7, which is 330K. Excess between the old Cat 7 and old Cat 1-5 is 60K. Base new Cat 1-4 is 330K and adding in the old excess of 60K would be enough to bump up to a new Cat 5 cert at 390K.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by leroy11
Hello all
It will be interesting to see how this all pans out.

I currently have an unused Cat 1 - 5 certificate. I suspect I will be more likely to use a Cat 8 property but not sure which one. What are your thoughts on upgrading the certificate to be category 8 - is this less risky than keeping a Cat 1-5 cetifiicate? From what I've read, it may be safer to attach to a property but not sure which hotel i will end up using it at.

Thanks1
Depends on how the category of the property is changing. For example, I have a Cat 8 that I bought so I could use it at the NYC Midtown East Residence Inn. That property is dropping from 40K-35K per night so I'm not attaching it to my reservation since I can't current devalue to a Cat 7 (35K/night) and attach it.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 6:09 am
kkl

Wonder what current Tier5 TPs translate to?

How are we gonna redeem 7 night top tier hotels
Old Jul 20, 2018, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by kkl
Wonder what current Tier5 TPs translate to?

How are we gonna redeem 7 night top tier hotels
Tier 5 will be just cat 7 starting Aug 2018 and cat 8 starting Jan 2019. No idea about TPs though because Marriott has kept quiet about it!
Old Jul 20, 2018, 9:55 am

I had recently purchased 3 TPs on different days with miles going to AS. The miles for the first TP and the third TP have been posted but the 2nd set of miles are still missing. Is this normal? I called and confirmed with MR that the miles were supposed to go to the same AS account. BTW, miles were posted after 5 days for the first and third TPs.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Shangri-la Gold, Taj Gold, Krisflyer Gold, BA Gold
looks like the MR jokers are playing some game. tried to transfer 33k points from a friends account to mine - they exec told me they can only do even numbers - either 30k points or 40k points. When i pressed her to do 33k points, i was put on hold and then the call was cut. happened 3 times.

Also MR to SPG points transfer is broken
Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: Delta-DM, United-Platinum, American-Platinum, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Is there a general strategy even though we aren't quite sure what will happen with Marriott TPs?

I'm debating whether to pool my spouses and my SPG/Marriott points to buy a Category 1-5 and 120K miles. We're short just 7K MR which I can top off via the SPG points buy promo which ends today.

Worst case scenario? - 120K in miles (likely Alaska - although I'm hearing award space is extremely rare now especially for 2 seats) and my Category 1-5 gets converted to equivalent points of 45K MR. So effectively I traded 225,000 MR for 120K miles
Middle case scenario? 120K in miles and my Category 1-5 is converted at a better rate? Say 15K per night? So I effectively traded 165,000 MR for 120K miles
Best case scenario? - 120K in miles and my Category 1-5 remains effective for say Category 1-4 properties in the new program. So I effectively traded 270,000 MR for 120K miles and the ability to book a 7 night stay at a property that would otherwise cost 150,000 MR (25,000 MR * 6 since 5th night is free)

Thoughts? Haven't been able to read all the pages of this thread. Your advise is appreciated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.