FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Travel Packages
View Single Post
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:55 am
Counsellor

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
My call:

Legacy Category X certificates will be converted to nights points-based certificate corresponding to Category X in the New Marriott Rewards.

Exception:
Legacy Category 9 and above will be converted to Category 8 in the New Marriott Rewards, the high available category.

Legacy cat 6 cert will become a cat 6 (50K per night)

Marriott will not give advance notice to avoid a run on higher category certs, and will claim no notice was warranted because "there was no change" in category. for certs at categories 8 and under
So the legacy Cat 6 (currently costing 30K per night) becomes a new Cat 6 worth 50K points per night, and the legacy Cat 7 (currently costing 35K per night) goes to a new Cat 7 worth 60K points per night?

Doesn't seem to make much sense to me, since most old Cat 7 hotels seem to be "downgraded" to Cat 5 hotels under the new system, and accordingly will still cost 35K per night. What would make sense is if Marriott simply converted to the old point value, as they're apparently going to do with the old Cat 1-5s credit card free night certificates (i.e., up to 25K per night, which makes it a free Cat 1 - 4 night under the new system).